A Game for All Seasons

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

A Game for All Seasons

Post by loboLoco » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:29 pm

While we’ve been focusing mainly on Slough Creek, some features it requires will also improve the current Amethyst Mountain level of WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition. Today, let’s look at seasons and some changes you will experience as time passes in WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition.

Each episode/map occurs in certain seasons: Amethyst is fall to early winter, Slough Creek is late winter to early summer (and the future episode Tower Fall will be summer to late fall).

The game already has dynamic weather that accurately reflects typical weather patterns of each month depicted in the game (currently that’s September to December) — but we need a deep winter season where snow covers the entire landscape. That’s what we’ve been working on this week. It’s not quite done but should be in good shape soon. The most obvious feature is that snow coverage.  So we are adding deeper snow which really gives that winter feel.  Yes, we are working on footprints and deep paths in the snow are on our future wish list.

As winter deepens, this means physical and behavioral changes for many of Yellowstone’s animals. The elk migrate from their summer grazing grounds to the low elevation valleys. Male ungulates lose their antlers and snowshoe hares change their fur color completely.  

These seasonal changes aren’t quite ready to release yet, but we expect they’ll be part of the next patch, coming within a few weeks.
We have released the first episode of WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition (Amethyst Mountain) for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. While in Early Access, we are updating the game frequently with more features, multiplayer, and ultimately the Slough Creek episode with pups. The mobile version will come after the game is completed on PC/Mac platforms. We’ll then resume development of the next episode, Tower Fall (DLC).
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Re: A Game for All Seasons

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:09 pm

Yes! finally the elk migrations! ive been wanting to hear about that for a while now :D And since ive pretty much memorized all the general locations of each elk herd ill have to look more when winter begans. Am looking forward to hunting anterless moose!
Adjusting my territory to include elk will be tough seeing as i could barely manage my territory in 2.7 but i will like the challenge.
Will the seasons in amythyst mountain progress by in-game days or time spent in that game? Also whats the maximum a season can progress in amythyst mountian?
Also when the time comes will mates go out and patrol and mark the territory or hunt for the pups by themsleves?(in slough creek)
I have over 30 wolves all with mates so ill be getting a handle on the pros and cons of each personality. May have to delete some to avoid confusion with which game is with which wolf...
Also the amount of progress your making is astounding! :mrgreen:

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:06 pm

Oh, nice! Can't wait to run through the snow (particularly with the potential snow trenches later on - that just sounds so amazing). And also the hares changing colors and the elk migrating. I think I'll get overwhelmed in the best way.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:23 am

This is going to be super AWESOME. Finally the snow will start to mimic the deep winter in real life. I had no idea the elk migrated from Specimen ridge to the Lamar (helpful information)!

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:02 pm

I absolutely love seeing the Amethyst map in winter! It looks gorgeous. There's something so nice about wolves in snow. And it's great how much detail you're putting in regarding the herd migrations! Will we also stop seeing bears roaming around? I also recall that in an old video demoing the new fur shading effects there was some thought that we may be able to have coats getting thicker in winter/thinner in summer, is that still something you guys are playing with and considering to add?

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:24 pm

This is so beautiful and realistic! I love how the wolves kick up snow-powder when they run. That view starting at 1:41 is awesome.