I Do...Do You?

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

StarFoosh
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Lou

Re: I Do...Do You?

Post by StarFoosh » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:54 am

This is looking awesome! Im loving the new music. I was watching the video with my sister and she had a good question, at least I thought so.

If you decide while hunting that you don’t like your possible mate (maybe their personality isn’t what you want or they’re lazy hunters or whatever) but would you be able to reject them during that trial period or would you have to complete it in order to do so?

Thanks for the updates! I can’t wait to see next week’s video, keep up the good work!

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:09 pm

StarFoosh wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:54 am
This is looking awesome! Im loving the new music. I was watching the video with my sister and she had a good question, at least I thought so.

If you decide while hunting that you don’t like your possible mate (maybe their personality isn’t what you want or they’re lazy hunters or whatever) but would you be able to reject them during that trial period or would you have to complete it in order to do so?

Thanks for the updates! I can’t wait to see next week’s video, keep up the good work!
Right, we will have a "Reject mate" option in your pack stats.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

TheSeaWolf
Pup
Pup

Post by TheSeaWolf » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:41 pm

The new mate system looks great! The new social interactions and wolf fight systems are honestly one of the things I'm looking forward to, and they're definitely important features for such social animals. It's really cool to see how fleshed-out this game is becoming!

RainnWQ
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Cassidy

Post by RainnWQ » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:42 pm

So excited! Everything is coming out wonderfully. Keep up the great work!

OtterDrew
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by OtterDrew » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:45 pm

This looks really good. Can wait for 3!

Dovabear9
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Dovabear

Post by Dovabear9 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:55 am

Oh my gosh, so cute!

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:19 pm

Lol, the hare thing reminds me of the time my dog Luci caught a bird and ran off with it. xD But back to the topic, I agree with previous posters that the seemingly little things, like the head tilt and the snow sticking to the animals, really add depth to the game. And I like the fact that, with the potential mates' varying personalities, courtship allows for a 'test run' of hunting, so players shouldn't end up stuck with a lazy mate if they pay attention to what the other wolf is doing during the hunt. I also like how both wolves are judging each other; it makes things more interesting and more realistic.

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:54 am

i love the elk hunting animations! Now i can find the mate i want, instead of a random wolf!

(my brother hates wolfquest so much! he is complaining about little things like how the elk doesnt get wounded when you bite it, and im like, "there are hardly any games that have that kind of effects, wolfquest has some of the best graphics i have ever seen, besides you couldnt do any better!'')

however I think your doing great, keep it up!

sirwayl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by sirwayl » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 pm

Because you (LoboLoco) said that wolves outside the park aren’t closely related to your wolf, but packs inside the park could be, that implies that a pack within the park is where your wolf is from. I’m very curious, which pack that would be? Or if it’s just unspecified and all packs within the park are more closely related to you in general?

I personally would like to know where my wolf started from, but I understand that it could just be a freeform thing. Because there are four stars for diversity, I’d assume wolves you were to meet with either one star or half of one would be either a sibling or a parent, I really like the idea of that, of meeting old family members.

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:58 am

sirwayl wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 pm
Because you (LoboLoco) said that wolves outside the park aren’t closely related to your wolf, but packs inside the park could be, that implies that a pack within the park is where your wolf is from. I’m very curious, which pack that would be? Or if it’s just unspecified and all packs within the park are more closely related to you in general?

I personally would like to know where my wolf started from, but I understand that it could just be a freeform thing. Because there are four stars for diversity, I’d assume wolves you were to meet with either one star or half of one would be either a sibling or a parent, I really like the idea of that, of meeting old family members.
Well, 41 wolves were released into Yellowstone between 1995-1997, making up the original packs. Much of the current wolves' ancestry comes from those packs, and I'd imagine that after several generations those bloodlines are quite intermingled. So even if your wolf was from one pack, they'd likely have distant ancestors going back through several others. So if you take a wolf from within the park as a mate, your overall genetic diversity will be lower since you probably have ancestors from that common gene pool within a few generations. Wolves outside the park are more likely to be from populations unconnected to the Yellowstone releases, so they would not be from that same gene pool.

I don't know that which pack you're from will be a defined answer in-game as much as a general one, but certainly players are free to extrapolate the specifics for their own lore :)