I Do...Do You?

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

I Do...Do You?

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:29 pm

[youtube]gIwOIdaqE9Y[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/gIwOIdaqE9Y

We’ve had the new courtship gameplay working for quite awhile, but over the past month, we’ve revised and refined it, based on our own testing as well as feedback from beta testers. Today’s video shows highlights from this entire mission, from finding possible mates out in the wilderness, engaging in initial courting activities using emotes, to the trial period where you and your prospective mate spend some time together to get a better sense of each other’s personalities and capabilities before finishing the bonding process and becoming mates. Once chosen, you and your mate are loyal (although we are considering a future option for your mate to die in the game).

This mission is a huge expansion from the original game and, as with the rest of WolfQuest 3, our goal was to make it more naturalistic and realistic — while still being intuitive and straightforward enough for novice players. While we’ve retained the emote-based interaction from the original game, it’s now more fluid and freeform, allowing you to meet and interact with several mate candidates — and if you take time to observe their responses, you’ll gain insights into their individual personalities. We also really wanted to incorporate hunting — a vital activity for wolves, and it only makes sense to evaluate the hunting abilities of prospective mates.  And it isn’t all up to you.  As in real life, potential mates may not say I do!

Other related videos:
* You Had Me at Playbow at https://youtu.be/x5zKz_MSyaQ
* For Better or For Worse at https://youtu.be/bRQsAh1ENKc
* Genes Behind the Scenes at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV-Dd_ror8g
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Re: I Do...Do You?

Post by poncho0287 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:49 pm

This is really coming along very well. You guys did so much of making the game more realistic. I'm proud in all of you. And your very long hard work ^^ can't wait to play it :wolf:

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:55 pm

Finding a mate is going to be so revolutionary now! I’m loving that new gray pelt, and the way that your potential mate tilted his head with interest was so adorable! These new personalities are game changing. It’s everything I’ve always wanted and more! I can’t wait to experience finding a mate for myself. Keep up the awesome work!

By the way, those graphics are looking absolutely beautiful. The snow effects have me trembling with joy!

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:57 pm

I think the Amethyst Mountain story arc is looking good along with the wolf pelts and other animals. One thing that I think would be interesting is if your possible mate died while you were getting to know he/her. Is it possible that other possible mates would fight over you or kill one of your possible mates.

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:50 pm

This is all coming out so nice. It's very nice to see how far this has come from the original game. Really looking forward to experiencing it firsthand.

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:02 pm

I had been excited for this video to come for a long time, and now that it's finally here I'm not disappointed!
The snow accumulation looked beautiful and I can't wait to see my wolves with snowflakes in their fur. I also liked how there was more contrast between the size of the male and female wolves than there is in 2.7.
It seemed to me that the wolf was Loner, Bold, Energetic. :wolf:
I had one question - during the courtship, it said his fur was white or light gray though it seemed like his fur was a very dark color, to me. Was this a glitch or intentional? Thanks!
I thought the music was very funny when you were heading to the elk herd! :lol:
Thanks for the video! :)

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:07 pm

Wow this is really impressive! I love the diversity of emotes in the courting, and the new way to find and put a mate on trial! XD This is really exciting, I can't wait to see this in action! :D Cracked up over the hare carcass, and the invisible, yet edible elk carcass! :lol: lol

-StarBender2000 :wolf:

Moonstar05
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Moonstar05 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:03 pm

The game is coming along really well! Keep up the awesome work WQ team! :wolf:

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Oooh, the fact that the mate is also judging you is a pretty cool thing. I'm sure it'll be a lot more exciting than constantly reloading from a save file because you don't like your mate (from what I heard some people did).

Bushmeat
Pup
Pup

Post by Bushmeat » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:25 pm

:o You mean I can't be lazy and let my invincible mate take all the damage!? lol

I'm as excited as ever for Wolf Dating Sim to be released :P It looks like a hoot trying to win their affections

Whirl-Oakpaw
Pup
Pup

Post by Whirl-Oakpaw » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:26 pm

The new mate mechanics look great! I like that there's a trial period where you can see how each other hunts before you decide whether or not to make them your mate, so you don't have to reload your save file if you pick one and they turn out too lazy or have some other undesirable trait.

Can't wait to play!

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:12 am

First of all, I hope you enjoyed your trip to the Grand Canyon. I've never been there, but I can imagine it's cool. With that out of the way, my review. I liked everything about the courting. No complaints there. It was pretty cool to see how hunting will work, especially with it snowing. Man I'm gonna love this game! I really think 2019 is the year we get AM, at the very least, if not the rest of the game. But don't think you have to rush it cause a person or two said that. It's done when it's done.

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:43 am

Aah, I'm so excited to finally see what the trial period is like! I think the affinity meter is an awesome addition, and it was cool seeing how natural finding a mate is now, as opposed to the old turn-based system! Really looking forward to seeking a mate when the game comes out!

Also that hare carcass glitch was hilarious :lol:

Draugr
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Draugr » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:21 pm

Wow! This is an entirely different looking game. I love hearing the new adaptive music, and how the snow accumulation sticks to the sides of the elk and the wolves. It definitely adds an extra touch of realism to the game. I also noticed that the wolf icon position was changed. It looks better in my opinion. It's coming along very nicely!

Savagery
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Nathaniel

Post by Savagery » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:33 pm

Wow, everything looks so incredible and realistic, and that new grey wolf pelt is fantastic! The new method of finding a mate is much more realistic than the turn-based ritual we have currently, and I loved seeing how the personalities became clear in the two males pretty quickly. The hunting was also very natural looking (hare obsession and invisible carcass aside.)

My only question is if there is any sort of plan to add bite marks/blood to contact spots on prey when hunting? It would feel much more real then, and considering the rather graphic carcass model, I don't really think it would be pushing the bounds of being inappropriate. I understand it is an educational game that has many younger players mingled in with the adult, but as a realistic simulator I don't feel it would be that out of place.

Regardless, everything seems to be coming along beautifully, and I absolutely cannot wait for the final release.