Fight or Flight

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Fight or Flight

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:09 pm

[youtube]e4s5xwLvxYc[/youtube]
VIdeo link: https://youtu.be/e4s5xwLvxYc

Stranger wolves are all around the game maps in WolfQuest 3, and it’ll be important to know when to fight and when to flee — not only for players, but for the strangers as well. In hostile confrontations with strangers, as well as when confronting other competitors like grizzlies and cougars, both parties must constantly evaluate the situation, comparing strength and numbers, and weighing other factors like personality as well. All these come together in our new Fight or Flight meter, which displays above every competitor. You can use it to gain some insight into their mindset: are they on the verge of fleeing, or are they worked up and ready to fight? Your actions will also affect their mindset, so you can try to intimidate them into fleeing — but you may instead provoke them to fight instead. Today’s video shows how the Fight or Flight meter works, along with some other unintended aspects of the game.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Fight or Flight

Post by LamarWolf » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:57 pm

The flight or fight meter will be really helpful in determining what tactics to use. I though the ungulate trying to get involved in the fights was funny. Keep up the good work.

Itschi
Pup
Pup

Post by Itschi » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:51 am

Oh, I love that Video. You can really see how the game will be like.

It looks a bit crowded with animals. Will it be like that or will there be less animals?

The Fight\Flight meater is very nice, also the wolf and elk behavior. Only the moose is unfinished :moose:

xX_WillowWisp_Xx
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Florence

Post by xX_WillowWisp_Xx » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:32 am

Wow this looks amazing, all the wildlife looks gorgeous, especially the glowing affect of the light catching the foliage and edges of the wolves' fur, it's stunning.The only thing is that there seems to be rather a lot of animals all in quite close proximity on the map; will this be reality when the game is released or do you think you could turn down the spawn rate as it is nice to have some quiet every now and then, just wondering on your own for a while or maybe just with your mate?
i noticed at the very end of the video, when you were in a more open area away from the woods, there was what looked like mist, it would be amazing if this could be added to the game ! (it might just have been because it was sawn/dusk or maybe it was just cloudy but there's and idea anyway) :D

keep it up Wolf team! xx

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:31 am

Regarding animal density: Bear in mind that this six minute video was distilled down from about 25 minutes of gameplay, most of which was spent looking for some action.

At the very end, light snowfall was starting, but it's a bit buggy visually, so I trimmed it way down.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:53 am

Wow, fighting those stranger wolves looks difficult but entertaining! The Fight-or-Flight meter is a good idea. It'll be much better than the turn-based system we have now (even if the turn-based system is just fine). :)

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:13 am

Thanks for making the social arena more interesting in WQ 3. I'm looking forward to exploring this feature once the game is officially released.

WarriorJason27
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Jason

Post by WarriorJason27 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:03 pm

Looks great!

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:26 pm

WarriorJason27 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:03 pm
Looks great!
In the future, please make sure your posts include at least three words, as anything less is considered SPAM. Please take a moment to review the Forum Guidelines for more information.

Ecliptic
Pup
Pup

Post by Ecliptic » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:13 pm

I really like the new fight or flight system! It was as if all the animals were waiting for you to demonstrate something, and then they all jumped out and got in the way. It was actually neat, though, to see how everything was coming together and interacting with each other. In wolfquest 2.7, the animals felt very dull sometimes, and now it’s so much more life-like.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:17 pm

I love how much you can interact with the stranger wolves, and the wildlife that occurs around you. This game has come such a long way. Can't wait to have a go at trying to survive for myself! Curious though--for that extra challenge/realism, will there be an option to hide that fight or flight meter?

Edit: Is it just me, or is that one wolf at 1:15 (up to the far right, with a sort of brownish gray pelt) expressing a limp?

FluffyWolf99
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by FluffyWolf99 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:52 pm

The game looks absolutely stunning! It's so cool how far the game has come, and how realistic it is. I can't wait for the release so I can play it myself!

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:29 am

Phasoli wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:17 pm
Edit: Is it just me, or is that one wolf at 1:15 (up to the far right, with a sort of brownish gray pelt) expressing a limp?
I believe that's the Walk animation, which is still rough.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:24 pm

I cant wait to have a 2v2 fight! me and my mate on one side and 2 wolves of another pack on the other!