Bite Club: Refining the wolf fight

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Nor-easter Forecast

Re: Bite Club: Refining the wolf fight

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:53 pm

I’m not going to recognize this game when it is released. The fighting mechanics look fantastic, even when they are broken!

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:52 am

The movements of the darker circling wolves are so realistic to me! I was impressed by them the most! Although I understand the fight poses are still a WIP :P.

On a different note... for some reason, watching this particular update video brought something to my attention about the anatomy of WQ model wolves that I haven't been able to articulate before. It's been in my subconscious I guess, but I haven't been able to put my finger on it until now.

Does anyone else think that where the hind paws meet the ground seems too far forward for the neutral/not moving model pose? When I Google images of "wolf standing", the vast majority of the non-arctic wolves that are standing on a level surface have their metatarsus bones behind the hindquarters, rather than at or slightly in front of them. To me, the WQ model wolf looks like it is standing on a rounded boulder, not flat ground, because the lower part of the hind legs is farther forward than it "should" be.

Disclaimer: I'm mentioning this observation moreso to see if others agree with that opinion, rather than asking for a model change. I don't really know, but I imagine that's not a quick or high-priority tweak at this point in the project!

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:36 pm

WOW....I keep getting sooo excited the more I see of these videos!!

Is there still going to be controller support for when this is released?...there is soo many new mechanics and such I think it will be much harder to do all of this new stuff with just a mouse and/or keyboard.

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:00 pm

Ahhh this new video has me so excited for the update! I think it's really interesting seeing how you guys put together the fighting mechanics and refining it. It's looking really cool so far!

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:00 pm

Holy crap! The wolves look great (the fur and lighting look absolutely amazing!), and the fighting is looking really good! I especially like the fact that wolves can dodge each others' attacks; that will definitely make things more interesting.

DragonSoul720
Pup
Pup
Name: Soul

Post by DragonSoul720 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:41 pm

This looks super awesome so far! This seems extremely difficult, but it looks awesome, and I can't wait to use it in the new release :3

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:28 pm

I'm super excited about the pvp/fighting mechanics, as we've never had them interpreted to wq before(aside from now).

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the early access stuff ;3

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:17 pm

It was very nice to come home to this! ^^ The wolves look so flooooooooffyy! That stranger though... its head is a club and it knows how to use it
Forget OstrichQuest, how about GiraffeQuest?