The Better to Smell You With

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

The Better to Smell You With

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:56 pm

[youtube]uDeyLmNOS2M[/youtube]
Video link:

Wolves have an incredibly acute sense of smell — their noses are one hundred to a million times more sensitive than ours! That allows wolves to detect scents as far away as 2.4 km (1.5 miles) if conditions are right. To better represent this powerful sense, we’re expanding scent view in WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition:

* You’ll be able to “see” scents blowing on the wind from far away (although still only 1/3 of the way across the bigger maps).
* As you come closer to other animals, you’ll pick up the scents left on the ground as well so you can truly track their footsteps.
* It’s not just their tracks that are evident in Scent View — each and every animal’s body will positively glow with their distinctive odor.
* And you might occasionally get a whiff of something left by that odd bipedal species that you try to avoid.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Bushmeat
Pup
Pup

Re: The Better to Smell You With

Post by Bushmeat » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:00 pm

Wooo hoo! I always look forward to Thursdays now. Thanks for spoiling us with videos!

Nice nose leather on that wolf sniffer, too! I'm curious, since it seems animals will be rightly colored with their, ah, BO, if it'll extend to the actual carcasses of elk/other prey, too. Not a big thing, but I was thinking about it earlier today, since surely that enticing smell of bloody meat must be like a neon sign to wolves. Oh, speaking of, does this mean other wolves will be smelly yellow in scent view? Our packmates? Can't wait to go sniffing everything, lol

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:23 pm

Look at that nosy little nose! I just wanna give it a gentle boop, haha. The new scent system looks beautiful, and with the grass set across the terrain, everything is already starting to look so lush! I love it so much.

Out of curiosity, will scent rolling behaviours be included in the new scent system? It would be cool if we could roll in some of the scents that we find--especially for multiplayer, where we can share these scents with other fellow players.

DawnWings
Pup
Pup

Post by DawnWings » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:28 pm

And you might occasionally get a whiff of something left by that odd bipedal species that you try to avoid.
Sorry if this is answered elsewhere (I looked in the FAQ but didn't see an answer) but does that mean humans (like poachers, park rangers, ranchers, etc) will be in the game?

Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by Pepper » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:38 pm

DawnWings wrote:
And you might occasionally get a whiff of something left by that odd bipedal species that you try to avoid.
Sorry if this is answered elsewhere (I looked in the FAQ but didn't see an answer) but does that mean humans (like poachers, park rangers, ranchers, etc) will be in the game?
We are keeping the focus on the wolves. Luckily for us, Yellowstone wolves do their best to avoid people and would be "managed" if they got too close to people.
However, there are a lot of people in the park so future episodes might have more signs of humans.
Phasoli wrote: Out of curiosity, will scent rolling behaviours be included in the new scent system? It would be cool if we could roll in some of the scents that we find--especially for multiplayer, where we can share these scents with other fellow players.
We have talked about scent rolling but it probably won't make it into this update. It would be very amusing gameplay.
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.

MysteryFoxSpirt
Pup
Pup
Name: Mystery

Post by MysteryFoxSpirt » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:45 pm

This is going to be awesome in multiplayer player games, and how smelling other players will work. And, on single player, with your mate and pups! And human scents. I like how you guys are making the wolves able to smell hints of human in Yellowstone. So much more realistic.

Well, you've gotten so much done since December of 2017, to now! And you all said some time in 2018. It's 2018, and I think the first release is coming soon...... Then, a million bug updates! (Probably, players will find plenty of bugs and report them when the first release is out)

Keep it up, Team Wolf Quest! :wolf:

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:51 pm

The sniffing animation looks so good!

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Post by poncho0287 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:07 pm

Wow you guys have been working on this for a long time and making it more realistic and It's worth the wait. And I love the scent view.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:11 pm

I want to boop that snoot, haha!

Will water have its own scent? So you can find some without using the map.

sophiaww
Pup
Pup

Post by sophiaww » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:18 pm

WOW, I'm amazed on how realistic WolfQuest is going to be now! I really like how scent view works now. Will the scent of human stay on boots,or objects made or droped by humans etc? I am soooo excited for WolfQuest to come out! Also I thought we were going to watch a video about the new tree models but this is making me really excited! Keep up the good work WolfQuest!!! :wolf:

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:27 pm

Ooh, this is so cool! I like the human scent actually being there in the first place, adds a little hint of mystery to the game c:
Also, can players have their own colored scent that they choose in the "Build a wolf" thingy?
Oh my gosh, this is so, so cool! Keep up the awesome work, you guys!!

Canisauba
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Dusk

Post by Canisauba » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:38 pm

Keep it up WolfQuest! I look forward to every Thursday, just to look at these amazing updates!

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:43 pm

This is awesome ^^
Really excited for the next video update of the games progress!

Itschi
Pup
Pup

Post by Itschi » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:20 am

Thats nice. Otherwise it would be very hard to find pray on the big maps.

Can we smell urine from wolf territories?

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:23 am

I bet scent view has never looked so interesting and colourful! I look forward to testing out the new ways of tracking someday.