Moveable Feasts

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Moveable Feasts

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:24 pm

[youtube]erRzNsQHHfc[/youtube]

At last, your wolf will be able to pick up food and carry it! In WolfQuest 3, you will be able to choose to dine out or bring home a delicious chunk of ungulate or a tasty hare (yes, yes, beavers are on the menu too). This has been one of the most common player requests, and it sounds simple, but of course implementing it is always trickier than it first appeared, as Tommi (our lead Unity developer) explains:
Just picking up a chunk and putting it on the ground undoubtedly sounds trivial, yet it took me several hours to complete. And had this been a simple prototype project, it probably would have been much easier, but in a project as broad and complex as WolfQuest, every little thing is connected to many others, try as I might to keep everything as modular as possible.

1) We didn't know how exactly this was going to work when we started. Dave and I thought carefully about how exactly the chunks relate to the whole carcass – do they have their separate food value? How does that relate to the main carcass food value? Do you always get the same chunks? Etc. We also discussed how the player chooses to pick up a chunk rather than feed on the carcass itself, finally deciding to use a double-tap of the spacebar instead of a separate dialog popup.

2) The player and the chunk are not the only parties we need to consider. Some other animal may also try to eat the carcass or pick up a chunk at the same time, be that your mate or another player in multiplayer. Or two animals might try to pick up the same chunk (already separated and dropped) off the ground, or eat it. So I needed to write code to first “reserve” a chunk when you start the animation, even when the chunk is still on the ground. And we needed to figure out what happens if you're trying to take a chunk off a carcass, but then someone else eats the last food off that carcass, or also tries to pick the last chunk off... It gets complicated!

3) Other aspects of the gameplay are affected as well. The carcasses and chunks need to show in the targeting system (the one that displays the red and green wolf head), and having a chunk in your mouth affects what other things you can target and in which way (you can't very well bite an elk while biting into a chunk, now can you?). And how should having something in your mouth influence a wolf’s behaviors? (You shouldn’t howl with food in your mouth!)

4) Little details take a lot of time to sort out when there's enough of them. Like, how to make sure the chunk will be oriented correctly in the mouth, or lying neatly against the ground when dropped?

"5) Sometimes unexpected other parts of the code will cause trouble as well. I try to minimize this by writing clean, well-structured code, but I can't catch everything. For example, at first the animation and movement system didn't work quite right with these animations. That system is quite complicated, to accommodate different poses, animal momentum (to give them a sense of mass), pathfinding, obstacle avoidance, gait animations, utility AI, and flock-ing.

"We’ve now got it working pretty well, though there are still a few minor aesthetic issues, like posing the wolf’s head and mouth when carrying chunks."
______

Just be careful not to leave your portable picnic lying around, or another animal will find it first! That’s why wolves don’t cache their food in Yellowstone — too many competitors out there looking for a free lunch.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Re: Moveable Feasts

Post by duskypack » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:38 pm

So excited to see all these little features because it’s the little things that’ll make Wolfquest 3 just feel different - in strategy, in roleplay, in feeding your pups.. Keep up the good work!

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Wow! I like the name, it's creative, Moveable Feasts. Hooray! Now if you make a kill like a mile away, you can bring a gross chunk of it over to your den for your pups. :mrgreen: The eating sounds are more realistic now. (Eewww!)
This game is very unique to other games, where there is so much to it and it's long, and you have an amazing experience and also learning about wolves and their behavior.
:D :) :mrgreen:
Last edited by xc92u3 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shiranuiii
Name: Shiranui

Post by Shiranuiii » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:26 pm

• Ahh I love this so much, it's gonna make things so much easier honestly, you guys are doing a great job !!

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:05 pm

This is so cool! An awesome little addition to the game for sure, the details you guys are adding is amazing. I love seeing the new wolf model in action too!

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:10 pm

This is exciting to hear ^^ . You guys a doing a great job!

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:46 pm

This will be such an amazing feature! The animations seem to smooth. Wooow!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:37 pm

It looks great, Dave! The meat looks realistic as well.

Keppostelija
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Trickster

Post by Keppostelija » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:26 pm

I can already hear the angry shouts of ''DON'T DROP IT IN THE RIVER''.

Whirl-Oakpaw
Pup
Pup

Post by Whirl-Oakpaw » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Very useful feature. Will be great for making feeding pups easier!

Silverheart98
Pup
Pup
Name: Silver Sparrow
Location: I'll roam with the wolves, stalk the deer and rest in my den~

Post by Silverheart98 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:50 am

Wow! This looks great! It'll make stuff much easier cx Also I am very glad you added this! This was one thing I wished to be added in game for so long! Great job! x3

~Silver

SheWolf17
Pup
Pup
Name: SheWolf

Post by SheWolf17 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:10 am

I loved the movements of the wolf, the model of the carcass, but in fact, I was more concentrated in the landscape behind the wolf, it seems much bigger! The wolf carrying the hare is very cute! :D

Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:15 pm

That's awesome, I like the new trotting animation. (:

Brinnadaze
Pup
Pup
Name: Brianna

Post by Brinnadaze » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:03 pm

This is so exciting! It's the small things that make the biggest difference, in my opinion. These "movable feasts" are going to change how we play the game and go about the missions in a lot of little ways. The animations are looking nice, although the way the wolf is holding that hare is a bit strange visually. I'd imagine something more like this would be better: https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/-p ... d141848750

It just looks a bit awkward with the wolf just sort of holding the hare from the tail/rump (in my opinion, of course).
Don't think I didn't catch those subtle skybox changes! I'm dying to see the full day & night cycle for myself... :D

Great job guys! xoxo :dragonfly:

WolfDragonPlasma
Pup
Pup

Post by WolfDragonPlasma » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:05 pm

Oh sweet! Now we won't have to leave hares lying around after we kill them XD