Mission Simpossible

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Koa

Sunset-Light
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Mission Simpossible

Post by Sunset-Light » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:12 am

I feel like this would be a good way for the "playing as a pup" thing to come in.

Piggyfiggy
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Bunnyluv

Post by Piggyfiggy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:16 am

Maybe, you could teach your puppies to hunt by herding elk or rabbits to your den. You could injure them, so they are easier to take down for your puppies, and it could be the first step in teaching them to hunt. It isn't very easy to keep an animal in a specific area for very long, and I am pretty sure that wild wolves bring back wounded prey for their puppies to practice hunting. I know that cats do.

The challenge would be locating the correct prey, and then herding it. Maybe you should herd a baby animal, or a severely wounded elderly one, but it would be hard to locate an animal that is weak enough, that your puppies can take it down as their first kill.

Also, wolf puppies, like many other predatory animals start learning to hunt from a young age. It would be cool if the puppies would run around the den site, trying to catch frogs, butterflies, mice, etc. They could eat the small critters, which would give them a little food. Sometimes, they could even 'accidentally' wander off while trying to hunt and get lost, then you would need to locate them.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Call me Tsuri!

Post by Phasoli » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:20 am

I like the idea of collectibles! Perhaps the inventory or field guide book can act as a representation of the player wolf's memory. Players could interact with the environment via scent, and as stated, information about the investigated flora and fauna could lead to educational blurbs about them. This is a great way to get players to explore and interact with the environment more!

Perhaps this could unlock the emote of scent rolling. The ability to scent roll in game would be an amazing way to share information in multiplayer, or even amongst the pack in single player. I'd met a real wolf who'd done this to me, and his keeper explained that it is a wolf's way of spreading information via scent. The addition of interacting with the environment via scent would create good use for such a function!

(By the way, are the silhouettes in the video made with the new models?)

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:40 am

Oh and if there are issues with humans to be brought in theres the frequent issue of people WHO DON"T LISTEN!!! and go on closed off trails that go too close to wolves rendezvous sites. this has happened every time I'm in yellowstone for the summer near Hayden valley to watch the wapiti lake pack; theres usually those people who think its totally fine. Your wolf would have to safely collect the pups and herd them farther away from nosey people as to not be seen or found out. you wouldn't have to show the people but like in the cattle ranch mission you could get telltale warnings like a flock of ravens flying off, mule deer and even rabbits scattering. The warning calls of other animals or even peoples voices if they're getting too close.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:50 pm

R.I.P. the person who has to make a master list of all the idea, aha! But I am happy to see the team reaching out to its community for game improvement suggestions :D.

1. Dine N' Dash
  • This challenge could occur in either AM or SC, whenever the player encounters a spawn point. The player has to fill either their health bar (in the case of no pups/AM) or their Food for Pups bar (in the case of pups/SC) with food from the kill of another NPC, such as a grizzly or a cougar. The NPC would behave extra aggressive towards the player. If making this particular NPC's AI more aggressive isn't feasible, alternatively have two bears/cougars spawn at the kill instead of just one, to both simulate a mated pair situation and create a more challenging scenario for the player. The challenge ends when either the player's belly is filled, or if the player dies in the process.

2. Won't Back Down
  • This challenge would occur in SC once the player has sufficiently marked their territory. This challenge could either begin from within the social area when a wolf is encountered, or not utilize it at all. The player encounters a wolf NPC that runs away when approached, but then stops running away after a certain distance from the player (similar to coyote and bear NPCs in defend cubs missions). The player has to attack and chase the wolf out of their territory, or kill it, whichever comes first. The challenge ends when either the wolf is chased out of the marked territory (which would trigger victory music/pop up text and make the player's wolf stop moving), or if the player and their mate land enough bites to kill them. This one is very similar to pre-existing missions, and so would be easy to implement.

3. Hunter Becomes the Hunted
  • This challenge is the most laborious to implement--maybe even impossible for this game--but it is still a realistic scenario for SC singleplayer or multiplayer, and would send a powerful message to players. Besides game map Easter Eggs, the game already includes radio collared wolves and overhead planes, both elements of large mammal research. In this challenge, the player(s) have to "try" to run from a human researcher's efforts to tranquilize (one) of them from a low-flying plane, in order to be fitted with a radio tracking collar. You could either make the tranquilizing event inevitable after a set amount of time, or give players the option to hide from the plane's view if they can escape to a forested part of the map (but make it very difficult to get there by setting the challenge start point far away from such an area). An achievement is gained either way, in than that the player(s) encountered a human scientist. Alternatively, if the player can keep in a pack formation with the other players in multiplayer while running from the plane, then the plane gives up, being unable to single out one wolf from the group. If a player gets tranquilized, their wolf would automatically slow down and eventually the player would lose control of their wolf as it goes into the "rest" animation sequence. A text blurb would pop up to explain what happened to the player's wolf, ideally accompanied with a real life picture of Yellowstone wolves being studied in the field, like this or this one. After the text blurb is closed, the player would regain control of their wolf, which now sports a radio collar. If the player's wolf already had one, it could either be taken off, or be a different color that is special to this mission.

CrazyLuna
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by CrazyLuna » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:22 pm

I hope that they allow you to carry a pup for longer periods of time. Trying to cross the sandbar crossing with a pup in your jaws and to run out of stamina mere strides away from the bank... its crushing. You drop your pup to drown instantly in the water :(

Whirl-Oakpaw
Pup
Pup

Post by Whirl-Oakpaw » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:02 pm

How about some platforming challenges? You could have a few areas on the map that are hard to climb up to that involve jumping from one rock to another, with some fall damage penalty for if you fall. Nothing extreme like in Mario or something like that, but regular jumps that a wolf might actually make. You could get XP for just getting to a hard to reach area... or maybe you could have a mission where an elk carcass spawn at the top of a platforming section, like a pile of boulders, and the player gets an on screen prompt to try to reach it... and get XP for successfully reaching it and eating it. I assume that in the wild, sometimes wolves might attempt to climb up things to get to carrion.

Other ideas:

Maybe during Slough Creek/raising the pups, enemy wolves could stop your mate from hunting near the den, and you have to help your mate to get rid of them, otherwise your mate cannot hunt.

Maybe a bear starts living in your territory. If you attack it in the field, it runs away, so you have to locate the den where it made its nest and fight it at it's home area to chase it out of your territory for good. You could make it challenging by having scent mode be a little more sporadic and not have a straight line leading right to the bear's nest.

Flood? The area near your den could be about to flood, and you have to move all of your pup away from the den to higher ground (while still fighting off predators!) before the den area could actually flood. I know adding realistic rising water could be hard to do, so maybe it could just start to rain and you get a notice "It's going to flood soon, move your pups to higher ground." And then you see a rain meter on the screen, and when it fills up, you get a short cutscene of your den site covered in water, and it announces any pups that might have died in the flood. Then, the rain passes and you can move them back.

A pup could go missing from the den and you have to sniff it out.

chickiefoo
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by chickiefoo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:24 pm

Phasoli wrote:Perhaps this could unlock the emote of scent rolling. The ability to scent roll in game would be an amazing way to share information in multiplayer, or even amongst the pack in single player. I'd met a real wolf who'd done this to me, and his keeper explained that it is a wolf's way of spreading information via scent. The addition of interacting with the environment via scent would create good use for such a function!
Ooh I love this idea! It would fit in very well since the scent mechanics are getting a revamp and wolves communicate a lot through scent. In multiplayer, after a wolf rolls, the scent could linger for a while and above it would be a message like "___ was here _ seconds/minutes ago" and maybe show their status? Gender, health, etc. And it would be great if you could get another's status through scent if you're within a certain (very close) distance of them. In addition to scent rolling and directly smelling other wolves, maybe you could also scratch the dirt and rub your wolf's cheek on others to affectionately "mark" them. In multiplayer, the status could be updated by saying "marked by ___" (although this may be used for less innocent reasons by roleplayers...) In single player maybe a heart could be over your's and your mate/pup's head, and they follow you extra closely or use affectionate emotes more for a set amount of time.

Also maybe player wolf status could be displayed through howls? If a player howls, their name could be displayed on other's screens in the direction that they're in. The brighter the name, the closer they are; the dimmer the name, the further away they are. This feature would only show up if the wolf howling is out of sight of the player.
Phasoli wrote:(By the way, are the silhouettes in the video made with the new models?)
I don't think so. It looks to me like a pre-existing image of wolf silhouettes overlaid on one of the new game maps. I could be wrong tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Whirl-Oakpaw wrote:How about some platforming challenges? You could have a few areas on the map that are hard to climb up to that involve jumping from one rock to another, with some fall damage penalty for if you fall. Nothing extreme like in Mario or something like that, but regular jumps that a wolf might actually make. You could get XP for just getting to a hard to reach area... or maybe you could have a mission where an elk carcass spawn at the top of a platforming section, like a pile of boulders, and the player gets an on screen prompt to try to reach it... and get XP for successfully reaching it and eating it. I assume that in the wild, sometimes wolves might attempt to climb up things to get to carrion.
Additionally a platforming area like this could be used to teach controls? And I could see something like this added to the map(s) being a lot of fun even without achievements, give you something to do or could be a hangout spot in multiplayer. Or in multiplayer, there could be a prompt to race to the top?

Hazelflower
Pup
Pup
Name: Hazel

Post by Hazelflower » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:41 pm

What about a avalanche near your den so that you and your mate have to figure out how to dig out/climb up to get to your pups before they die. In the case of a blizzard you would know that it was coming and you would have to find shelter and food.
Last edited by Hazelflower on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

resanfray
Pup
Pup

Post by resanfray » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:12 pm

• Phasoli wrote:I like the idea of collectibles! Perhaps the inventory or field guide book can act as a representation of the player wolf's memory. Players could interact with the environment via scent, and as stated, information about the investigated flora and fauna could lead to educational blurbs about them. This is a great way to get players to explore and interact with the environment more!

I've made a statement kinda like this one before.
      I really like the idea of collectables. I was thinking about bugs! I thought it would be so much fun to find a menagerie(?) of bugs, and we'd get extra exp by completing a line/catagory of the bugs. Or maybe finding all those birds we keep hearing. Or perhaps we find feather clippings. It's just a fun side note to do.

I'm not sure if anyone said this yet, but maybe there coulee be an albino of each animal, and they are very rare but if you get them, you get double exp.

Maybe we can have some sort of side quest where we have to follow a white feather somewhere, just chasing it.

Maybe as Phasoli stated we could have memory journals, and doing actions, seeing things, gets a tick in the journal. I know I love the achievements but once you're done.. what next?
      (Also, side note: When in a multiplayer game do you get other people's achievements? Like... Finding the skull in AM?)

Someone also mentioned a tutorial of starting out in a pack as a youngling. Well, that's pretty awesome, what if it was a small area in AM and you weren't allowed to leave the small territory until you finished the tutorial, and the screen fades to black and the pack left but you stayed in AM as a dispersal.

As for in SC maybe another action could be scratching trees for marking territories and snapping butterflies between your teeth.

Also, for anyone interested I found a really good high quality video of a wolf sounding an alarm.

Yellowstone wolf, Husky... As the video says.

Don't know about anyone else, But I'd love more wolf sounds and maybe listening for these sounds in game to extrapolate data from nearby NPC wolves

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:02 am

I think it would be cool to implement a system where players can choose to expand their territory or not. You can be satisfied with a small territory automatically given to you in the beginning of Tower Fall but should you decide you want more you can challenge rival wolf packs or perhaps even rival animals like coyotes, cougars and bears for section of their territory (I'm not sure if it is realistic for wolves to challenge other predators). However, you must take care to not be too greedy as they may challenge you in return and steal your territory.
This way, players can decide how much territory they wish to control and have the option to expand their turf or not. Obviously, the more territory your pack claims, the more work you must put in to patrol and defend it. It would give players something to do when they're not actively doing a mission.

I love the idea of collectibles too! It would be a great way to teach players more about the in-game animals. Each animal you encounter would be added to your collection. Each time you 'collect' an animal, a pop-up would appear giving a brief description.

Perhaps adding a few "unknown scents" would be interesting. You'd have to track it and find the source to identify the scent.
It could be anything from human litter, a strange animal (perhaps reptiles in spring? I would love to see reptiles in the game) or something else interesting.

I like the idea of being able to interact with your landscape more, and even more with your mate. It would be fun to be able to 'play' with your mate more than bowing and tail wagging, and even with pups. As for interacting with the land, little things like carrying sticks and bones you find lying around, digging holes, scent rubbing/rolling, etc. Little things like that would definitely keep me entertained :)

Silverheart98
Pup
Pup
Name: Silver Sparrow
Location: I'll roam with the wolves, stalk the deer and rest in my den~

Post by Silverheart98 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:17 am

Hmm...I'd have one idea I hope that no one already posted about this, I tried to read all posts but there's already so much text it confused me since I have problems with concertrating. I hope you forgive me if this was suggested ;-;

So what if we can choose side mission - or even that theres this thing that if you start with most highest difficulty level that you start with a wolf that is sick/wounded/hungry and already close to death and then you just have to find carcasses and hiding places to rest in and slowly build back your health? And theres huge possiblity that you fail and die? But you can always start again of course. Like you are too weak to hunt elk and too slow to catch deer (since they will be in the new version) and you may be able to catch hares and maybe some small mammals (only if you add them ofc). And you need to travel only short distances at once because your wolf gets tired and use the scent system to find carcasses. You'd need to balance two important things; food and rest and use all your survival skills to make it? One thing would also be that is that IF this was side mission, is that this would start at the time the fawns are born and you would need to try to catch the fawns for you and avoid getting kicked by the mother, since even that one kick could kill you or bring you closer to death.

This is only suggestion.

I don't know, this is one thing I thought of. c'x

AleuAleta
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by AleuAleta » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Silverheart98 wrote:So what if we can choose side mission - or even that theres this thing that if you start with most highest difficulty level that you start with a wolf that is sick/wounded/hungry and already close to death and then you just have to find carcasses and hiding places to rest in and slowly build back your health? And theres huge possiblity that you fail and die? But you can always start again of course. Like you are too weak to hunt elk and too slow to catch deer (since they will be in the new version) and you may be able to catch hares and maybe some small mammals (only if you add them ofc). And you need to travel only short distances at once because your wolf gets tired and use the scent system to find carcasses. You'd need to balance two important things; food and rest and use all your survival skills to make it? One thing would also be that is that IF this was side mission, is that this would start at the time the fawns are born and you would need to try to catch the fawns for you and avoid getting kicked by the mother, since even that one kick could kill you or bring you closer to death.
I really like this, actually! Maybe it could be combined with the injury system (is that going to be a thing? I hope so) so it's less of a side quest and more just a reality of the mechanic?

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Call me Tsuri!

Post by Phasoli » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:22 pm

chickiefoo wrote:Ooh I love this idea! It would fit in very well since the scent mechanics are getting a revamp and wolves communicate a lot through scent. In multiplayer, after a wolf rolls, the scent could linger for a while and above it would be a message like "___ was here _ seconds/minutes ago" and maybe show their status? Gender, health, etc. And it would be great if you could get another's status through scent if you're within a certain (very close) distance of them. In addition to scent rolling and directly smelling other wolves, maybe you could also scratch the dirt and rub your wolf's cheek on others to affectionately "mark" them. In multiplayer, the status could be updated by saying "marked by ___" (although this may be used for less innocent reasons by roleplayers...) In single player maybe a heart could be over your's and your mate/pup's head, and they follow you extra closely or use affectionate emotes more for a set amount of time.
The ability to sniff others in multiplayer directly would be amazing! That could leave an opportunity for other players to establish a bio for their characters, so that other players who wanted to get to know that character could do so as a hands on function. My idea for scent rolling was that a player could roll on a collectable object, then rub against another player, as a sort of "look what I found" mechanic. A feature like this would be amazing in Phrase Chat servers, so instead of comunnitactkng with words, players are encouraged to share experiences through scent by rolling and rubbing against each other, haha. Scent marking in general for multiplayer would be fun. I definately second that idea!
roguemoon wrote:I think it would be cool to implement a system where players can choose to expand their territory or not. You can be satisfied with a small territory automatically given to you in the beginning of Tower Fall but should you decide you want more you can challenge rival wolf packs or perhaps even rival animals like coyotes, cougars and bears for section of their territory (I'm not sure if it is realistic for wolves to challenge other predators). However, you must take care to not be too greedy as they may challenge you in return and steal your territory.
This way, players can decide how much territory they wish to control and have the option to expand their turf or not. Obviously, the more territory your pack claims, the more work you must put in to patrol and defend it. It would give players something to do when they're not actively doing a mission.
The ability to conquer territory sounds so fun! This feature would definately add to the tower fall experience, seeing as PvP will be introduced. Alas, the ability to conquer land seems to come with the promise of potentially losing it. I'm up for that sort of challenge!

wolfadore
Pup
Pup

Post by wolfadore » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:59 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:(The titles of these dev blogs always make me laugh! haha)

A few ideas:

- Well, the obvious idea would be to convert the cattle ranch into a side mission. Maybe expand it, so there are roaming dog NPCs that you have to avoid, or maybe an electric fence you have to jump over or you'll lose health, etc. Sort of like Fort Knox for wolves.

- Maybe there can be a sheep ranch too as another side mission. But instead of trying to sneak in to kill one calf and get out ASAP, you have to kill as many sheep as possible within a set time limit. This would reflect the fact that wolves do surplus kill, especially when it comes to livestock. At the end, you'll have to escape or you'll be shot (like the cattle ranch). Yeah, its a little game-y with the time limit, but it'll probably be fun.

- For learning the controls, there should be some sort of tutorial. An ambitious idea would have you assume the role of a young pup just learning how to hunt with its parents, and you learn how to hunt through them (including how to dodge attacks at the right time), learn how to use the wind direction to find scents, how to interact with other wolves, etc. This doesn't even have to be interactive, it can just be an non-interactive cutscene you see at the beginning of the game.
I greatly agree with the learning experience, that would also show you growing up to an older wolf, which would be cool.

Also, you could have a side missiony thing where you could try to join another pack (unless you already have that) and live a life under an alpha, and try to earn a higher rank by doing good hunting, good territory patrol, etc...

In the winter, you could have a little area where it offers you an option to place on/with the ice. If you ever see wolves do this in real life, it's adorable.

By any water you could play tag with the toads (one way, of course...)

Return to “WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall Developer's Blog”