The Fate of the Mate

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Koa

Fate of the Mate (read below first!)

Mate can never die.
2%
Mate can die and it's permanent.
16%
Mate can die but you can revive it once -- but killed again before recovering, that death is permanent.
8%
All of the above, depending on difficulty level.
73%

Total votes: 299

CapriciousCeilican
Pup
Pup

Re: The Fate of the Mate

Post by CapriciousCeilican » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:13 am

Archenic wrote:I think it should be a choice, but not tied in with difficulty level if that makes sense? Just like we can choose difficulty level there should be a separate option to choose if the mate will be invincible like our player or like the pups.
I agree with this also. I've seen many other responses similar to this one, and I feel this way too. I want to be able to experience mate death in casual gameplay, but maybe make it easier to acquire a new one, or make them easily revivable.

Whirl-Oakpaw
Pup
Pup

Post by Whirl-Oakpaw » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:25 am

I think it should be a choice, but not tied in with difficulty level if that makes sense? Just like we can choose difficulty level there should be a separate option to choose if the mate will be invincible like our player or like the pups.
Yeah, I like the idea of mate invincibility being separate from difficulty too.

paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:20 am

Voted for the one dependent on difficulty level, although I find option C (the singular revive) a tad odd. It'd make more sense to me to not have them die and be revived at that stage, but just have them remain alive but at a greater risk of death instead? As in, wounded to a dangerous point and in need of recovery?

I also wouldn't mind reviving your mate to be available for all difficulty levels at a scaling experience point penalty, or something.

Arcturus221B
Pup
Pup
Name: Arcturus

Post by Arcturus221B » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:52 am

Nevara wrote:I think having permanent death being determined by difficulty isn't the way to go in my opinion. Some people may want that risk of permanent death included but wouldn't really be interested in having to set their game to the hardest difficulty all the time. Plus, (from what I hear, so correct me if I'm wrong) people usually only set their game difficulties to the harder settings on multiplayer anyways. So, how about this: when the player gets a mate and they get the "congrats on getting a mate/you and your mate have bonded" popup, the player gets to choose between instant mate revival, revival only once, or permanent death for their mate? This could be something entirely independent of the game's difficulty settings and the player could go back and change this in the game settings at any time. If one were to select that their mate can die, this of course wouldn't mean that their mate would run around in dangerous situations either; they'd be smart and safe about their actions (I hope). But maybe the game's difficulty could affect how easy/hard it is for the mate to die, as well as the random unlucky risks/occurrences that may happen... and maybe even the mate's personality could play a role too! And of course, if your mate dies, people always have the option of going to look for another one.
I like this idea more than the current options. It gives the player more freedom of what their gameplay should be like and allows us to mix things up a bit from time to time. And what if you want to try the highest difficulty, but don't want to make it too hard just yet so you can practice? In that case it would be nicer to have a mate that can never die. Then when you feel confident in your abilities you can always set it to permanent death and make an already challenging gamemode even more challenging, especially if your mate dies.

Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:43 am

Like I said before, mate death would not be a common occurrence. Some of you guys seem to think that permanent death would be too annoying because your mates will be dying all over the place and you'll have to spend lots of time looking for a new one, but that won't be the case. Instead, mate death would only happen under quite specific circumstances, for example, mistakes made by the player in conjunction with mistakes made by the mate, usually around a dangerous animal such as a bull moose.
Nevara wrote:I think having permanent death being determined by difficulty isn't the way to go in my opinion. Some people may want that risk of permanent death included but wouldn't really be interested in having to set their game to the hardest difficulty all the time. Plus, (from what I hear, so correct me if I'm wrong) people usually only set their game difficulties to the harder settings on multiplayer anyways.
I agree with this very much. :) I never play on difficult settings in singleplayer, because without other people it can be stressful to the point of not being fun. I would much rather play on the easy settings, but still have my mate be mortal, for the sake of realism and excitement.

I don't think D is a good option at all; instead, mates should die permanently, but on the easy settings you have the option to revive them if you wish. (To keep the little kids happy, as well as the people who are just playing casually for hunting practice or something.)

Brinnadaze
Pup
Pup
Name: Brianna

Post by Brinnadaze » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:15 am

Polynesia wrote:I really wouldn't want my mate to be invincible at any level. (That's not to say mate death would be a common occurrence.) A mechanism for finding a new mate sounds fun, but if it's only available on high levels, people who like to play on low levels - for the sake of not having to worry all the time - would miss out.

Instead, maybe we could just have the option to revive our mates, no matter what setting the game is on. This way, players who are not up to the challenge can choose to revive, and players who are up to the challenge can let nature take its course. Everyone wins! :)
I like this idea... much more simpler if it's decided by the player rather than the difficulty.

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:43 am

Mate death or even being run off could also be caused by dispersal rivals coming in to take over, usually the female will pair up with the male. At least that's the case in some packs. We're not really sure why though, the wolf watchers I was talking to when we were watching the wapiti lake pack said it was because the mother had pups and a yearling daughter and there were three incoming males from mollies pack. They wouldn't have stood a chance and it would have been more protection so they probably just went along with it.

Nayoxii
Name: C0rgi/Shiranui

Post by Nayoxii » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:24 am

• The idea to revive is a good option to put in, I do love the idea of finding a new mate if your current one dies, it makes it sorta realistic?? honestly, I hate that the mate dies and then instantly comes back, I find it quite irritating sometimes.

0927CanisLupus0927
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by 0927CanisLupus0927 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:00 pm

I'm not sure. I'll vote for "Getting a second chance". It would be fun if we could have a mate, it get a second chance at life. Then, if it dies, raise your pups alone, only to get a new mate on the second litter. That would be fun! Thank you for all of your hard work! :mrgreen:

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:17 pm

I'd prefer if mates always die regardless of level, but having a certain amount of xp on your wolf could allow - in your pack or game settings, to enable or disable if the mate dies?

The way mates are in game right now it's sort of like they aren't fully there, and I'd love to compare it with an ACTUAL absence of their presence and try being a single parent on each difficulty.

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:19 pm

Shiranuiii wrote:
  • The idea to revive is a good option to put in, I do love the idea of finding a new mate if your current one dies, it makes it sorta realistic?? honestly, I hate that the mate dies and then instantly comes back, I find it quite irritating sometimes.
I think they just said in this first part of the fourm they were going to do that

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:37 pm

@ExtremelyRisky: I have relocated your post(s) to a thread more suitable for game-related ideas and suggestions-

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Call me Tsuri!

Post by Phasoli » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:00 pm

I would prefer to have the mate die in all levels, where the vulnerability of the mate can be affected by level. For example, mates in the most difficult setting would be a lot easier to kill off than mates in the easiest setting. I am willing to go for all of the above however, but perhaps mate death can be toggled as a setting, so that those who wish for mates to have the ability to die won't have to play on the hardest difficulty level to enable them to do so.

Mate death and personality is extremely exciting! This is the type of thing that makes my heart sing, because like you, mates are now mortal with depth and personality, encouraging the player to get to know and get along with their partners. They won't simply be automated tag-alongs, but true mates with their own minds! Wow! How exciting! I can't wait for this game!

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Dusk

Post by duskypack » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:49 pm

I would also love the ability to go on without a mate, as an object lesson about why wild wolves need mates. I’ve had a glitched singleplayer game where my mate disappeared and I was a single parent and it was so, so fun (and insanely difficult). If you could remove the ‘Your pups are now safe’ thing when your mate dies it would make it perfectly impossible so you’re desperate to get another (or, if you’re crazy like me, you’ll try it and lose half of your pups) ^_^

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:17 pm

I voted B because I find the mate to be more of a hindrance than a help overall when raising pups, so I wouldn't notice much difference in the game's difficulty if it died. I also like to think that having the mate die could invoke an emotional response from players due to the permanency, like when the pups die.

I think the addition of mate personalities would make the consequence of death more significant for players!

Return to “WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall Developer's Blog”