The Fate of the Mate

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Fate of the Mate (read below first!)

Mate can never die.
2%
Mate can die and it's permanent.
16%
Mate can die but you can revive it once -- but killed again before recovering, that death is permanent.
8%
All of the above, depending on difficulty level.
73%

Total votes: 299

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Re: The Fate of the Mate

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:40 pm

I voted for D, it is the most player-friendly option & would be useful for younger players/players who just want a chillax session. I really like Nor-easter Forecast's idea, though, for maximum flexibility:

Nor-easter Forecast wrote:I wonder if the team has also evaluated the possibility of having revival be a possibility at all times? In other words mates will always be killable, but you will also always have to option to bring them back to life. I feel like this would help with accidental deaths (no matter how good the AI is, sometimes a mate is going to die because it got stuck behind a tree or did something silly) because it would prevent resentment. Also, players could decide at any point and any difficulty level that they want to accept the challenge of raising pups alone.

Sunset-Light
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Sunset-Light » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:53 pm

C or D... C or D... I'm going with D. The mate being invincible would be nice for new players, and the experienced players could relish the challenge of a permanently dead mate.

I'm honestly surprised that nobody has picked A so far, though.

Ecliptic
Pup
Pup

Post by Ecliptic » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:04 pm

I voted for these options depending on difficulty :D. The turnout seems pretty clear, but who knows. I'm super excited to have varying mates now, that way they can have more of a personality now! I'm also looking forward to knowing what these traits will mean for the game. It sounds like I can't trust a lazy mate to guard my pups...

Echodextrous
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Echo

Post by Echodextrous » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:44 pm

All of the above :D
Last edited by Neamara on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited: fixed excessive uppercase usage

Nevara
Pup
Pup
Name: Kiki

Post by Nevara » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Voted for the permanent death option~

I think having permanent death being determined by difficulty isn't the way to go in my opinion. Some people may want that risk of permanent death included but wouldn't really be interested in having to set their game to the hardest difficulty all the time. Plus, (from what I hear, so correct me if I'm wrong) people usually only set their game difficulties to the harder settings on multiplayer anyways. So, how about this: when the player gets a mate and they get the "congrats on getting a mate/you and your mate have bonded" popup, the player gets to choose between instant mate revival, revival only once, or permanent death for their mate? This could be something entirely independent of the game's difficulty settings and the player could go back and change this in the game settings at any time. If one were to select that their mate can die, this of course wouldn't mean that their mate would run around in dangerous situations either; they'd be smart and safe about their actions (I hope). But maybe the game's difficulty could affect how easy/hard it is for the mate to die, as well as the random unlucky risks/occurrences that may happen... and maybe even the mate's personality could play a role too! And of course, if your mate dies, people always have the option of going to look for another one

But regardless, I'm very excited to see how mates and the social arena will work in the game! I like the idea of your mate actually having a personality, and I can't wait to see how this turns out!

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:23 pm

Nevara wrote:Plus, (from what I hear, so correct me if I'm wrong) people usually only set their game difficulties to the harder settings on multiplayer anyways. So, how about this: when the player gets a mate and they get the "congrats on getting a mate/you and your mate have bonded" popup, the player gets to choose between instant mate revival, revival only once, or permanent death for their mate? This could be something entirely independent of the game's difficulty settings and the player could go back and change this in the game settings at any time. If one were to select that their mate can die, this of course wouldn't mean that their mate would run around in dangerous situations either; they'd be smart and safe about their actions (I hope). But maybe the game's difficulty could affect how easy/hard it is for the mate to die, as well as the random unlucky risks/occurrences that may happen... and maybe even the mate's personality could play a role too! And of course, if your mate dies, people always have the option of going to look for another one

I really like Nevara's concept too, it would be interesting to control the fate of the mate separately from game difficulty.

Frodo1 wrote: Here's just some questions that popped into my head: If your mate dies, how will the pups be handled? Will their survival depend on the gender of the player and the gender of the mate (i.e. if a female mate dies before having pups, will you have to go back to AM to find a new mate?) If a wolf has pups and loses their mate, would a new mate accept the old one's pups? Or would new potential mates still be likely to try and kill the previous mate's pups, leaving you to have to defend against them as well?
Oooh I'm wondering this too now.

AveryCF
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Avery

Post by AveryCF » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:29 pm

Nevara wrote:Voted for the permanent death option~

I think having permanent death being determined by difficulty isn't the way to go in my opinion. Some people may want that risk of permanent death included but wouldn't really be interested in having to set their game to the hardest difficulty all the time. Plus, (from what I hear, so correct me if I'm wrong) people usually only set their game difficulties to the harder settings on multiplayer anyways. So, how about this: when the player gets a mate and they get the "congrats on getting a mate/you and your mate have bonded" popup, the player gets to choose between instant mate revival, revival only once, or permanent death for their mate? This could be something entirely independent of the game's difficulty settings and the player could go back and change this in the game settings at any time. If one were to select that their mate can die, this of course wouldn't mean that their mate would run around in dangerous situations either; they'd be smart and safe about their actions (I hope). But maybe the game's difficulty could affect how easy/hard it is for the mate to die, as well as the random unlucky risks/occurrences that may happen... and maybe even the mate's personality could play a role too! And of course, if your mate dies, people always have the option of going to look for another one

But regardless, I'm very excited to see how mates and the social arena will work in the game! I like the idea of your mate actually having a personality, and I can't wait to see how this turns out!
I was going to post something like this for the WQ staff to see, so i'm glad someone already did! I voted for the mate to permanently die seeing in real life you can't come back to life. While I understand younger players may not want this risk, I thought it was a little... Unfair if it's set on difficulty level which seems to be the most popular vote here and on YouTube. I'd rather the "Difficulty" be on the mate themselves, than the game. c: What if I don't want the game to be super hard, yet I want all wolves to only have one life to keep the realism aspect there?

I think keeping the "Revive/stay dead" options should be applied onto the mate if you can, WolfQuest team. c: Because it allows players more flexibility rather than having to always play the game on "BRING IT ON!" just to have the risk of their mate dying... I like the idea of it getting emotional if your lover died, and having to move on to find another would be quite hard for those who truly cared. I feel this way will also make the player feel connected or even bonded with their wolves lover. Rather than "Oh look, you died. Time to replace you!"

Having a mate die for good (Even though I might play on a normal/medium game mode instead of something quite challenging, just to keep it fun for me and less stress.) would really make me want to watch out, seeing they'd be like the pups. You loved and cared for your pups up to this point and would never want to see something happen to them- so why can't I feel that concerned over my mate without the whole game being mega difficult? (Yes, I have beat Bring It On! pups with one other friend as my multiplayer "mate". No, I would not willingly do it again seeing we were both screaming at our computer screens wanting to complete the challenge, once was enough lol. YES, I can do it. Do I want to for one game aspect? Not so much.)

I hope I made myself clear, I like that it's becoming a vote for the community, but I think it would please everyone more (From my personal view) to give everyone the option to pick their own personal mate difficulty. Though I also understand this might be a bit harder to program and might not happen, but the idea being thrown out there would be GREAT! Thanks for reading if you did guys. ;3;

<This was also posted on the YouTube video comments section.>

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:21 pm

Voted for all the above depending on what difficult it is set on,

I don't like the idea of having my mate to be 'invincible', but on the other hand if I'm playing the game just for some casual hunting to raise the xp numbers, it will be a little irritating having to find a new mate once they have died.
This is going to be a really cool new aspect of the game, the npcs actually will have a 'personality'.
Last edited by ViperBrains on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolf_whisperer98
Pup
Pup
Name: Silver

Post by wolf_whisperer98 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:22 pm

:wolf: Already voted. I say that it should all be based around the level of difficulty because then it'll give players an all-around experience of the game, and also not just be one option over another. :wolf:

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:41 pm

Oof... this is tough. Looking forward to the future outcome no matter what it is, but it's nice to have options -- no matter how hard it is to decide! I voted one chance to revive before permadeath, but having it dependent on difficulty would be better. :o I'm torn... quick edit to say that I've changed my vote from C to D.

And now for some moderation... please excuse me. ^^;

@MiaowsGreenhouse: I have removed your post. Posts containing less than three words are not allowed as this is one of our definitions of SPAM. Please read the Forum Guidelines. Thank you.

@Echodextrous: As excessive uppercase/all-caps usage - determined as most, if not all of your post being uppercase - is also considered SPAM, I have edited your post. Please bear this in mind in the future, and review the Forum Guidelines for more information on what is and what is not acceptable here. Thank you.

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:43 pm

I voted D but would prefer the chance to revive them once for at least the first two difficulty levels and then for the second set of the hardest levels they would just die; no revivals.

IAMAPLUNKMIN
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Pine

Post by IAMAPLUNKMIN » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:55 pm

i want it to be that if your mate dies it dies forever because it is more realistic and that is how i like may games because it leads to more immersion. plus it will give the game more challenge!. plus the game is already to easy so i say your mate dies permanently. :)

Lucid Dreams
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Lucid Dreams » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:59 pm

I think that it would be more realistic if your mate could die. But it would have to be after you get pups. so....it would be a mode in nmy opinion.[font=] :D [/font]

Whirl-Oakpaw
Pup
Pup

Post by Whirl-Oakpaw » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:47 pm

I'm gonna go with D. I like the added challenge of trying to keep your mate alive, but I'd also like the choice to not worry about it if I wanna play more casually.

If the mate system is getting an overhaul, it'd be nice if there was a way to command your mate to do stuff, like carry a certain pup or go hunt when you tell it to, or maybe target a certain prey animal that you select for it.

Archenic
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Archenic » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:54 pm

I think it should be a choice, but not tied in with difficulty level if that makes sense? Just like we can choose difficulty level there should be a separate option to choose if the mate will be invincible like our player or like the pups.