Hooves of Hurt

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

xc92u3

Re: Hooves of Hurt

Post by xc92u3 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Neamara wrote:I am certainly looking forward to the challenge of tracking down and tackling elk, and learning how to deal with their reworked AI. It's also cool that we're getting a dodge mechanic at long last. A job well done to everyone involved! The bugle at the end is a very nice touch too, so I hope that it'll be something we get to see in-game. :)

@TimberRaven: I've merged your posts into one. Again, please avoid double posting as doing so is not allowed and is considered SPAM. Instead, it is preferred that you instead edit your first post if there are new replies. More information is available in the Forum Guidelines. Thank you. ^^;
Sorry. Won't happen again.
Last edited by xc92u3 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:31 pm

@ TimberRaven. You can't merge your posts-- only moderators can. You CAN edit your post using the "Edit" button above your post after you have posted. Please edit your post if you have something to add, instead of posting back-to-back when no one else has replied after you.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:24 am

Controller support is definitely on our list -- at least xbox controller, and I confess I don't know enough about differences between that and PS4 or Steam to say yet.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:47 pm

I don't know too much about them myself....but I would think that so long as said controller was PC compatible...and the game had an input option to allow you to customize the various buttons etc. that it would work..?

Maybe someone who knows more about controllers than me can verify if that's true or not??

In any event that's awesome that you have controller support on your list. The news just keeps getting better and better!!

resanfray
Pup
Pup

Post by resanfray » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:17 am

Something about the dodge mechanism reminded me about this.. We have an attack animation and a jump animation in the current game...
But what about gravity? I mean when we jump onto the rocks on the butte, and then when we jump down... There is literally no falling. It's just like the wolf's paws slid against the surface and then touch the ground. Which.. I mean in a way makes sense because how else would be climb up some of these super steep slopes... But. It's food for thought.
The animations for the elk are so amazing! I'm so excited for WQ 3! It can distract me from all the horrible in my life lol.

BEllis
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by BEllis » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:28 pm

Everything for WolfQuest 3 is looking incredible! Especially like the idea of a degree of skill and planning being needed to hunt elk. The ability to dodge is a good new addition definitely.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:32 pm

@TimberRaven: Post removed. Please try to stay on topic. Anything off-topic is better suited to other areas of the forum. I.e, General Discussion or the Get to Know Each Other and/or General Other Topic Discussion forums.

Lebron BMT
Pup
Pup

Post by Lebron BMT » Thu May 17, 2018 4:01 pm

Chance of injury rather than death

I think the perfect happy medium to deal with the realistic dangers of wolves fighting elk is to make it so that there is a chance a strike from an elk (or any other attacking animal in the game) can injure player's wolves rather than kill them. Injury brings a much better gameplay experience while also keeping that realism and apprehension of hunting and interacting with other animals in the game.

Playing with an injured wolf opens up a whole new type of gameplay if injury means lesser health, strength, speed, stamina for player wolves. Perhaps this would force player wolves to be scavenger's for a while off the carcasses killed by other predators in the game, and force players to hunt smaller less dangerous prey for a while (hares, beaver, fawns).

Including the chance of a striking blow from an elk is too final imo. Players just respawn anyways in a few seconds. But the possibility of being injured in a elk hunt will keep that player apprehension about hunting while also making player's feel the consequences of a bad day/bad luck in a hunt and make hunting more realistic and less of a guarantee.

Cheers and I hope this helps.
loboLoco wrote:Controller support is definitely on our list -- at least xbox controller, and I confess I don't know enough about differences between that and PS4 or Steam to say yet.
PS4 and Xbox controllers have the exact same layout and functions. Same amount of buttons and all in the same places. Only difference is the names for the respective buttons.
Last edited by Isela on Fri May 18, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post. In the future, please edit your previous post if no one has posted after you. Thank you.

Keekee2006
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Keekee2006 » Sun May 20, 2018 4:58 pm

Ouchhhhhh...

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sun May 20, 2018 5:01 pm

Keekee2006 wrote:Ouchhhhhh...
Please make sure your posts contain at least three words (excluding smilies/emoji), as anything less is considered SPAM. Please review the Forum Guidelines for further information. Thank you. ^^

sophiaww
Pup
Pup

Post by sophiaww » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:04 pm

Yikes I really don't want to mess with that bull elk. :moose: Keep up the good work WolfQuest! :wolf:

44wolfquest
Pup
Pup

Post by 44wolfquest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:24 am

Oh dear! I will only hunt hares and beavers in WQ3 until I have a mate! It is great how you made hunting a challenge. (Real wolves don't hunt elk alone, anyway). I will have to figure out how to catch fawns, hunt small prey, and find carcasses without bears or too many coyotes! I have a suggestion for fatal kicks. Maybe the chance of a fatal kick would be raised depending on difficulty levels. (There would be a 1% chance on Easy, 3% on Challenging, 5% on arduous, and 7% on Bring it on!) and it can only be fatal if kicked in the head. Maybe dodging will be easier on easier difficulties, and killing a calf would be easier. :wolf: :moose:

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:32 pm

@Lebron BMT↓
I LOVE your ideas on injury...and would be awesome to see something of that sort included in the game at some point!

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:36 pm

As ever, ideas and feedback on them are best kept to Ideas for new episodes unless explicitly mentioned otherwise in the devblog (which is not the case here).
  • EDIT
Since this topic has been bumped up from October 2017 and does not invite that much new discussion anymore, I think it's safe to lock this to prevent any more off-topic posts from being made.