Hooves of Hurt

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

xc92u3

Re: Hooves of Hurt

Post by xc92u3 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Oh my. Hooves of Hurt. :shock:
Will you make it so the bigger and older (but not an elder wolf) and stronger the wolf is, the bigger chance that it will actually have a meal, instead of starving? Poor Tina... that's one of my wolves in the game now. The part where the elk were fighting looked really good, but not for the elk. The elk were being stabbed in the face by antlers! But the lighting was beautiful, and the elk models look amazing. In the first clip of the elk fighting, it looked real. Oh my gosh, and at the end, I laughed. Instead of a howl for the end of the video, a crazy elk screech! Hahaha! :lol:
Anyway, that was cool! Keep it up! :D

Noella
Name: Noella

Post by Noella » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:37 pm

Animation is looking great! Really looking forward to the finished product.

0927CanisLupus0927
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by 0927CanisLupus0927 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Oh my gosh! You guys did such a great job! I can't wait to play! I really appreciate all of the effort you have all put into this game. I'd say that it was perfect!
One thing though:
If we try to kill the elk, will it inflict wounds on your wolf that are visible? And can you make it so that during Winter\Fall transition that we have patches of fur? Thanks for putting a tremendous amount of effort into the game! Reply when you have the time!

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:47 pm

What's neat is with hunting it doesn't quite matter if you're the biggest and baddest. 06' wasn't the biggest yet she could take down elk on her own, it's also got to do with pure skill, luck, and timing. But having patches of fur being implemented in the spring and summer months would be cool because it would give more of an appearance of a summer coat as most wolves don't cleanly shed the winter coat and many patches of winter coat remain even as fall approaches. Also will stronger elk still be more likely to stand and fight after being singled out? How would a weaker elks blows be different from a stronger elk?

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Wow these look incredible! You guys did an amazing job with the animations, will the elk call right at the end be added to the game? If so that would be really neat. I can’t wait until all this is added to the game :D

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:28 pm

3 things: yes, yes and YESSS!

This is exactly what I have been wanting from WQ for forever. My biggest issue with hunting right now is that no matter your technique you are incapable of dodging attacks from the front. I absolutely love that we will have the ability of dodge attacks- if we're skillful enough. On top of that, the new attack animations are AMAZING. So realistic if you compare them to the way elk defend themselves in real life, elk tend to stop or lash out much more than rear. and just wow. The animations on the new models are so fluid and they are beautifully detailed! I'd compare them to the models you'd see on current day Cabela's video games. And might I add that I absolutely love seeing the bull elk rutting, so friggin cool!
One thing I think is very interesting about this new mechanism is that new players will be forced to hunt easier prey like weak cow elk, but as their hunting skills develop the more they play the game they will learn how to take on big game like bulls and moose. Just like a real wolf! Very cool :)

EDIT: Am I the only one who loves the sound of the elk bugling? I hope you guys use that sound clip in the update :) it's beautiful
Last edited by roguemoon on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:25 pm

Oh, one time, I was playing with a friend. Private game, Slough Creek, no pups. We were fighting a cow moose just at Little Butte. Rover (My friend's wolf's name), was kicked, once, bit some, was kicked again, and right as he was running away, completely out of the moose's kicking range, dropped dead. Heh. And really, that was her sixth time dying from that mean Moose McMooseFace. None of that... please. :|
:raven: :raven: :raven:

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:56 pm

TimberRaven wrote:Oh, one time, I was playing with a friend. Private game, Slough Creek, no pups. We were fighting a cow moose just at Little Butte. Rover (My friend's wolf's name), was kicked, once, bit some, was kicked again, and right as he was running away, completely out of the moose's kicking range, dropped dead. Heh. And really, that was her sixth time dying from that mean Moose McMooseFace. None of that... please. :|
:raven: :raven: :raven:

I do think these changes to the current hunting system will fix that issue :) definitely annoys me too when you're a few feet from the elk or moose and somehow it still manages to drop your health.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:04 am

Yes, quite annoying. And one time, I was in Lost River, and I fell off the map. LOL my friend did too. We both got annoyed and stuck and we logged off. :D It was funny, but not the seventh time... :shock:
roguemoon, I am so with your fact. I hate it that the elk can kill you when they fall on you when they die. That was a bad glitch. I killed a bull elk, and when it fell, it fell on me and I died. :lol: Oh! Oh! Oh! I forgot to ask if someone could add it where you could actually hear, see, and smell the farmer at the cattle ranch, see his house, and possibly, break through the window and go into his house when he's not home. You could tell by looking at his narrow gravel driveway. No cars. So it's safe for a very bold wolf to break in and steal some candy for your kids.

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:25 am

This is so neat, ahhhhhhhh! So excitedddd!

Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:25 am

Those elk and their animations look so beautiful! With everything that is coming to the new game, 2.7 seems so dull in comparison! :D

I think you should implement your idea of a small chance that your wolf will be killed by a single kick. Wolves are very careful and like to bite when the elk is turned away from them, so it would encourage people to play more thoughtfully.

Currently, failed hunts aren't really a thing in WQ because people will just keep respawning if they die, but I think it would be cool if the elk had a chance to get away, triggered by the right circumstances. I have a suggestion which might make hunts more interesting, and at the same time, introduce the possibility for a hunt to fail:

Injured wolves - wolves who have been kicked - will want to take less risks than their healthier packmates, to avoid a second hit which would likely be fatal. (Maybe injured wolves would have a slower dodge function, depending on how injured they are.) This means the members of a pack should naturally assume different roles, with the healthy wolves doing most of the provocation and dodging, allowing other wolves to damage the elk while he's distracted. If everyone is injured and no one is attacking the elk (i.e., the elk is not being provoked by at least one wolf at any time) then - in order to avoid a stalemate, where the pack has surrounded the animal but no one is attacking it - the elk will bolt and attempt to rejoin his herd. This would make standoffs pretty crazy and fast-paced.

Oh and, the dodge function sounds really fun, will it also be utilised in wolf vs. bear fights, or even wolf vs. wolf fights?

It would also be cool if you could be gored by elk and moose antlers.. :oops: This would make prey more dangerous during the different times of year, which is reflected by the varying exp yields in 2.7 for killing a bull moose in autumn, winter and spring.

Good job guys! :moose:
Last edited by Polynesia on Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

DragonSoul720
Pup
Pup
Name: Soul

Post by DragonSoul720 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:02 am

This is all wonderful! The animation looks really good so far, and the bull elk look way more realistic. One suggestion: Perhaps there could be a chance of an elk with a limp or something that's significantly slower than the others? Because those elk are normally prime prey for wolves.

Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:12 am

Okay so, assuming an elk has a small chance of killing you with one kick, or otherwise dealing serious damage:

For moose it should probably be the inverse; the majority of moose kicks are fatal with a small chance of a non fatal kick. To make it fair though, moose kicks would be slower than elk kicks. It would make moose hunting more of a spectacle, (like this) reserved for skilled players who have practised their dodging skills on less dangerous prey.

Maybe you could increase the reward to 1,000 exp for a bull moose, or (in rare cases) up to 5,000 exp for an exceptionally big moose with antlers. It would vary based on how healthy he is, and the time of year. And the amount of food they offer could be increased too. Those kind of rewards would make a long and dangerous hunt exciting and worthwhile.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:38 am

Polynesia wrote:Those elk and their animations look so beautiful! With everything that is coming to the new game, 2.7 seems so dull in comparison! :D

I think you should implement your idea of a small chance that your wolf will be killed by a single kick. Wolves are very careful and like to bite when the elk is turned away from them, so it would encourage people to play more thoughtfully.

Currently, failed hunts aren't really a thing in WQ because people will just keep respawning if they die, but I think it would be cool if the elk had a chance to get away, triggered by the right circumstances. I have a suggestion which might make hunts more interesting, and at the same time, introduce the possibility for a hunt to fail:

Injured wolves - wolves who have been kicked - will want to take less risks than their healthier packmates, to avoid a second hit which would likely be fatal. (Maybe injured wolves would have a slower dodge function, depending on how injured they are.) This means the members of a pack should naturally assume different roles, with the healthy wolves doing most of the provocation and dodging, allowing other wolves to damage the elk while he's distracted. If everyone is injured and no one is attacking the elk (i.e., the elk is not being provoked by at least one wolf at any time) then - in order to avoid a stalemate, where the pack has surrounded the animal but no one is attacking it - the elk will bolt and attempt to rejoin his herd. This would make standoffs pretty crazy and fast-paced.

Oh and, the dodge function sounds really fun, will it also be utilised in wolf vs. bear fights, or even wolf vs. wolf fights?

It would also be cool if you could be gored by elk and moose antlers.. :oops: This would make prey more dangerous during the different times of year, which is reflected by the varying exp yields in 2.7 for killing a bull moose in autumn, winter and spring.

Good job guys! :moose:

I personally have given up on a few hunts. I try really hard not to die in game since I'm obsessed with getting xp, so I think it depends on wether or not players care to lose a couple thousand xp. I feel like having the chance to die from a single kick would be really frustrating to a lot of players, especially younger ones or players still figuring out the hunting mechanism. While it adds another element of realism, it might be a bit too realistic for some and make hunting a bit annoying.
I do like the idea of the antlers tho! It would be cool to see them use those the way the bull moose do.

I'd personally love to see elk tire and lose health during the chase, same way wolves do. Wolves hunting in real life take advantage of their stamina by pursuing the elk at a slower pace until it is tired from running. Players in the game are forced to pause and rest during long chases and even lose health while running. I think it would be nice to see elk start to slow down after being chased for some time.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:09 am

Polynesia wrote:Injured wolves - wolves who have been kicked - will want to take less risks than their healthier packmates, to avoid a second hit which would likely be fatal. (Maybe injured wolves would have a slower dodge function, depending on how injured they are.) This means the members of a pack should naturally assume different roles, with the healthy wolves doing most of the provocation and dodging, allowing other wolves to damage the elk while he's distracted. If everyone is injured and no one is attacking the elk (i.e., the elk is not being provoked by at least one wolf at any time) then - in order to avoid a stalemate, where the pack has surrounded the animal but no one is attacking it - the elk will bolt and attempt to rejoin his herd. This would make standoffs pretty crazy and fast-paced.
I love the idea of injured wolves. Perhaps, for a short amount of time after the hunt, or even during the hunt, if you've been hit by a lethal blow, you'll wind up limping temporarily, and, as mentioned above, your doge mechanism will be a little slower.
roguemoon wrote:I'd personally love to see elk tire and lose health during the chase, same way wolves do. Wolves hunting in real life take advantage of their stamina by pursuing the elk at a slower pace until it is tired from running. Players in the game are forced to pause and rest during long chases and even lose health while running. I think it would be nice to see elk start to slow down after being chased for some time. [/color]
Tiring elk is something that'd also be be considerably desirable. In picking out a target, perhaps there could also be more obvious indications of weakness, such as a limp, a stumble, lowered speed, or a visible wound found on the weaker elk. I'd love to see this added!