Ride of the Wapiti

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

xc92u3

Re: Ride of the Wapiti

Post by xc92u3 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Oh man! (Great music pick, haha) That was awesome! The elk run differently, have different running speeds, but yes. The wolf does look a bit... off. :roll: Anyway, I'm ecstatic about how amazing this is coming along! Keep up the great work Dave!

Also, I have a few questions.
Could you make it so when you press M, no map will come up? Because wolves don't carry maps in front of them, so why would you have a map? I like this exciting! It IS exciting! Not knowing where you are, or where food is, or where other wolves are... :D
And, if the yearlings' hunger grows as they get bigger, then the adults will have to be hungry all the time. Because now, it takes a long while for a wolf to get hungry, just from running around.
:raven: :raven: :raven:
  • Post Merge
Wow.
Last edited by Neamara on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post. In the future, if there are no new posts after your own, please edit your previous post if you have anything more to add. Thank you~ ♪

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:18 pm

What's spectacular is the ability to get the elk to act like a real herd. But I'd have to say it wouldn't actually be too hard to find a den a lot of times wolves modify badger and coyote dens if they aren't going back to an old densite they used before. One wolf used a dip in the ground for her whelping. What would be cool is when you have to look for a den you have to look for it in a certain amount of time or else you'd have to have the pups in a secluded area, protect them and then move them to an actual den one by one. I'm trying to remember which wolf had to do this I think she was the mate of 10M.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:32 pm

Whoops, the second post was an accident. I didn't know where my first one went, so I did another one, and then I finally found it. Both of them. :oops:
  • Post Merge
I just got registered today, so I could make posts, but I have been following the blog from the beginning to today. I have never been able to make posts before. :D And when I ask a question, a few minutes later, it gets answered. :shock: :)
  • Post Merge
What's spectacular is the ability to get the elk to act like a real herd. But I'd have to say it wouldn't actually be too hard to find a den a lot of times wolves modify badger and coyote dens if they aren't going back to an old densite they used before. One wolf used a dip in the ground for her whelping. What would be cool is when you have to look for a den you have to look for it in a certain amount of time or else you'd have to have the pups in a secluded area, protect them and then move them to an actual den one by one. I'm trying to remember which wolf had to do this I think she was the mate of 10M.
Yes, the herd is quite nice. Oh, and I wonder what Amethyst would look like with all the trees and grasses and all. Wow! And, speaking of dens, I think it would be cool if players could actually go inside them (not the predators, though!).
Last edited by Neamara on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double posts. In the future, if there are no new posts after your own, please edit your previous post if you have anything more to add. Thank you~ ♪

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:13 pm

@TimberRaven: Please refrain from double posting/making multiple posts - this is defined as posting consecutively with nobody else posting in between each of your replies. Doing so is considered SPAM; you'll find further definitions and information in the Forum Guidelines. If you have anything more to add, please use the 'Edit' button to instead edit your post rather than posting new replies if nobody else has posted since your latest post in a topic. Thank you.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:34 pm

I personally think that the wolf's new running animation is perfect as is. I wouldn't mind an extra dash-motion, however.

What's really getting me all mushy and hyped is the fluidity of the elk animation. Just wow! That's not just an animation for a game right there--that's a work of art! Stunning!

kalbertar
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Kai

Post by kalbertar » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:40 pm

Be free!~

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:09 am

kalbertar wrote:Be free!~
Please remember to post at least three words in your posts, as anything less is considered SPAM. Thank you.

Ecliptic
Pup
Pup

Post by Ecliptic » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:57 am

Woah, it’s gorgeous! Love the music selection too! Other people stated things about the wolf’s movement, but it looks fine to me. In a couple of documentaries they ran the same way; relaxed, so that they could save stamina for later.

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Oh man, I can't get over how good this looks! With every update vlog I get more and more hyped for the new update, hehe. This looks absolutely amazing!

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:56 pm

Ecliptic wrote:Woah, it’s gorgeous! Love the music selection too! Other people stated things about the wolf’s movement, but it looks fine to me. In a couple of documentaries they ran the same way; relaxed, so that they could save stamina for later.

I agree. Wolves look pretty casual when they're running after prey and tend to stay in a steady, easy lope. Sprints are usually reserved for the final stretch when they're bringing the animal down.
A few have said the head and neck seem kinda stiff but I disagree there too. I'd say with the current model it almost bobs a bit too much. Wolves seem to keep their heads pretty steady when they're running, they don't bob up and down too much, especially when they're keeping those eyes locked on the animal they're chasing.

wolf_whisperer98
Pup
Pup
Name: Silver

Post by wolf_whisperer98 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:38 pm

:wolf: Oh my word! That is awesome! It's great to see these updates and how much is being done to the game. I just love how realistic it is now. Thanks so much for posting this and keeping us updated. :wolf:

Latra

Post by Latra » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Man, every new update is absolutely amazing. Some of these new features are things that I'd never even thought of but simply look beautiful and so realistic in the game. You guys are incredible.

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:22 pm

oh WOW this is AWESOME looking! I soo can't wait to try this out.

I wonder....will we still be able to tell which elk is the weaker/weakest like the current hunting model...seeing as wolves do target the weakest members of the herd.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:57 am

Rustic wrote:oh WOW this is AWESOME looking! I soo can't wait to try this out.

I wonder....will we still be able to tell which elk is the weaker/weakest like the current hunting model...seeing as wolves do target the weakest members of the herd.
I think their run speed & stamina is based on health, so elk with lower health will be at the back of the herd.

You can see this immediately in the video....2 elk fall back quickly after the herd starts to run.

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:44 pm

Ok, so will just have their run speeds to go by rather than seeing a 'health meter' as it is currently then?

That's ok...was just curious...I generally just run at the herd anyhow to see which elk run for it...though I know some like to stalk them and check out their health ahead of time which is why I was curious.