Mapmaking

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Koa

User avatar
CapriciousCeilican
Pup
Pup
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:21 am
Gender: Female

Re: Mapmaking

Post by CapriciousCeilican » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:56 am

This is super neat. One question though. What will happen to our old saves?

User avatar
wolfluvr101
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 617
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:25 am
Name: Rexx
Gender: Female
Location: Here, there, maybe everywhere

Re: Mapmaking

Post by wolfluvr101 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:48 am

I'm blown away! I had always wished we could go down to Lamar Valley in Amethyst Mountain, and to know we are going to be able to is incredible. Keep up the great work!

User avatar
loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member
Posts: 2684
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:51 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Mapmaking

Post by loboLoco » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:43 am

CapriciousCeilican wrote:This is super neat. One question though. What will happen to our old saves?
They will still work. (I'll align the new map to match the old map.)
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

User avatar
loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member
Posts: 2684
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:51 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Mapmaking

Post by loboLoco » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:49 am

Wolvencall wrote:I'm wondering if it will still work properly with the same minimum specs required to have this game. I can luckily run the game on fantastic so i'm hoping it will work out.
Yes, we will be adding more Quality Levels so we can ensure the game still runs fine on less powerful computers, while also pushing the graphics quality higher at the upper end of the range.

arrowlove18 demon wrote:I love the new map size and am looking forward to seeing it implemented. Though a question, it the new map going to be a free update to the exsisting game?
Yes.
wolf_whisperer98 wrote::wolf: Most excellent! I cannot wait for the new maps update. It would be nice seeing some green in Amethyst, though at the moment, it does make for a nice desert map for roleplaying XD Overall, I am just simply excited for this. I will be patiently awaiting its release. :wolf:
Someday I want to have multiple seasons for each map (at least for multiplayer). Just a matter of having time to do those.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

User avatar
Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 644
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:23 pm
Name: Call me Tsuri!
Gender: Gender neutral
Location: Photosynthesizing with the beans in the backyard
Contact:

Re: Mapmaking

Post by Phasoli » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:25 am

I'm so glad that I'll be able to run this fairly well on my computer. It isn't particularly shabby, because I can play in Beautiful settings on good days, but the size increase frightened me at the same time, and I began to worry that I may not be able to enjoy it in as high settings as before. I'm glad new quality levels are coming out to fix these performance concerns!

User avatar
xLizx
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:47 pm
Name: Ladonna
Gender: Female
Location: Your amygdala.
Contact:

Re: Mapmaking

Post by xLizx » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:30 am

This is literally the most exciting news ever x.x I am so hyped for this update, ya'll have no idea.

I am extremely anxious to witness the difference between the sizes of the maps, between the old and new. My ambitious little heart would hope Slough Creek could also get an update like this but I totally understand how such an update would create some extra and unnecessary work. It would be like creating an entirely different level Lol.

User avatar
loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member
Posts: 2684
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:51 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Mapmaking

Post by loboLoco » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:44 am

xLizx wrote:This is literally the most exciting news ever x.x I am so hyped for this update, ya'll have no idea.

I am extremely anxious to witness the difference between the sizes of the maps, between the old and new. My ambitious little heart would hope Slough Creek could also get an update like this but I totally understand how such an update would create some extra and unnecessary work. It would be like creating an entirely different level Lol.
We'll be remaking Slough Creek as well.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

User avatar
Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:13 pm
Name: Erick, Zhenya, Wind
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Mapmaking

Post by Windstrider » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:54 am

loboLoco wrote:
Wolvencall wrote:I'm wondering if it will still work properly with the same minimum specs required to have this game. I can luckily run the game on fantastic so i'm hoping it will work out.
Yes, we will be adding more Quality Levels so we can ensure the game still runs fine on less powerful computers, while also pushing the graphics quality higher at the upper end of the range.

arrowlove18 demon wrote:I love the new map size and am looking forward to seeing it implemented. Though a question, it the new map going to be a free update to the exsisting game?
Yes.
wolf_whisperer98 wrote::wolf: Most excellent! I cannot wait for the new maps update. It would be nice seeing some green in Amethyst, though at the moment, it does make for a nice desert map for roleplaying XD Overall, I am just simply excited for this. I will be patiently awaiting its release. :wolf:
Someday I want to have multiple seasons for each map (at least for multiplayer). Just a matter of having time to do those.
Ok seriously all of that is some pretty awesome news to log in and see.

User avatar
Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 644
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:23 pm
Name: Call me Tsuri!
Gender: Gender neutral
Location: Photosynthesizing with the beans in the backyard
Contact:

Re: Mapmaking

Post by Phasoli » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:24 am

Windstrider wrote:Ok seriously all of that is some pretty awesome news to log in and see.
I definately agree. I know Amethyst Mountain and Slough Creek like the back of my palm. To see these maps grow in size and be included in a free update makes me feel like I should be paying for all of this instead. Like wow, just thank you!

User avatar
PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:22 pm
Name: Meg
Gender: Female
Location: Nuvema Town

Re: Mapmaking

Post by PearlyReborn » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:31 am

There's nothing quite like exploring a new WolfQuest map for the first time. I remember back when I first downloaded 2.5 and had so much fun exploring everything! This is possibly going to be my favorite part of the update.

User avatar
Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:13 pm
Name: Erick, Zhenya, Wind
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Mapmaking

Post by Windstrider » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:32 am

PearlyReborn wrote:There's nothing quite like exploring a new WolfQuest map for the first time. I remember back when I first downloaded 2.5 and had so much fun exploring everything! This is possibly going to be my favorite part of the update.
This as well. The memories! It'll be really cool for us to kinda re-discover the maps.

User avatar
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter
Posts: 6264
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Mapmaking

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:00 pm

Dave, how big (km x km) will the Tower Fall map be? Me thinks if AM/SC maps are going to be expanded, you'd want the Tower Fall map to be just as big (if not a little bigger) so there's a consistency across the board.
xLizx wrote:
I am extremely anxious to witness the difference between the sizes of the maps, between the old and new. My ambitious little heart would hope Slough Creek could also get an update like this but I totally understand how such an update would create some extra and unnecessary work. It would be like creating an entirely different level Lol.
Have a look at this. It blew my mind a little, haha. Its a great way to include Lamar Valley without making a whole new dedicated map for it.
Fiske wrote:Hope this is alright but I took a quick gyazo and selected/cut out so we could see the grid map for better size comparison
https://i.gyazo.com/2f3121e7353b39545ff ... d3bd0b.jpg
Last edited by SolitaryHowl on Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kipcha28
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:21 am
Gender: Female
Location: Probably at my computer.

Re: Mapmaking

Post by Kipcha28 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:56 pm

That's so exciting - especially that the old maps are going to have bigger, newer versions too!

Are we going to be able to play the old maps as an option at all? It's neat that the Burn, for instance, is going to be replaced by healthy forest in the new map, but I'd be sad for it to be gone from the game altogether.

User avatar
Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 663
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:00 pm
Name: Maddie
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in the woods

Re: Mapmaking

Post by Wolvencall » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:34 pm

That's awesome!!! I'm wondering if you could just end up at a portal for one map and pop up a few yards away in the slough Creek map

User avatar
Nor-easter Forecast
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 9:16 am
Gender: Female
Location: Southwestern USA

Re: Mapmaking

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:44 pm

Wow. I must say, while I expected that SC would get a revision, I cannot express how happy I am to find out that AM will also be expanded. I still remember being a little kid and dreaming of walking down those mountains, into Lamar Valley. Now, years later, that is finally a possibility! I am thrilled to hear this news!

Also, thanks so much for the how-to video! I never realized those kinds of plug-ins for Unity existed. This is amazing and I can't wait to explore our new giant maps!

Post Reply

Return to “WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall Developer's Blog”