What We Did This Week

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

What We Did This Week

Post by loboLoco » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:52 am

Game development is a great job and a lot of fun, but not every day is brimming with excitement. Sometimes you get to make awesome new stuff, and sometimes you just keep the engines running. Here’s what this week looked like:

Mule Deer
We commissioned all the mule deer from a game animation company in Slovakia, and they put the finishing touches on the doe, so now we have a complete family! (Of course, you’ll never see these deer as calm as this in the game.)

[youtube]ymbpLazRLM0[/youtube]

Video link:

2.7 Patch with New File Sync Function
Earlier this month, with the help of a few players, we identified a flaw in WolfQuest 2.7’s file sync process which could interfere with complete syncing of wolf and game files when alternating between different computers/devices on the same account. So we’ve redesigned the sync function. Now it’s more robust and smarter as well, with a new “Sync All Files” option that will check the timestamp on every wolf and game file and sync the latest version on both your computer/device and the server. It took awhile to work out the kinks in this new function, which took a lot more of our time this week than we wanted, but we finally got a patch/update with that and a few other fixes and improvements out on all platforms.

Parents Guide
Pepper finished writing a new Parent’s Guide to WolfQuest to help parents of younger children understand the game itself and especially multiplayer games and rules.

Game Server Issues
Our web host was acquired by another firm recently, and our WolfQuest.org site was migrated over late last week—before we’d tested it on the new server, alas, due to some miscommunication. Fortunately the 2.7 accounts system worked fine on the new server, but the forum broke, which took up a chunk of time last Friday and Saturday. However, we continue to see periodic slowdowns on the new server, so we did some server software upgrades and optimizations, which broke the forum again. So that took some time to deal with. And we’re still working on the server slowdowns….

New Wolf Pup Model
The pups will be older in the Tower Fall episode, so we’ve been working on a new pup model for the summertime (3-4 months of age). Not quite ready to show yet, but it’s coming along. This week our 3D artist Steve Adamson refined the body morphology and he’s now working on the UV mapping in preparation for texturing.

Wolf vs. Prey Gameplay Code
We did make some progress on the new codebase this week. Our Unity developer Tommi Horttana is currently working on prey attacks, implementing better game mechanics to make this — a core part of the game — more exciting, more challenging, and more realistic. It’ll still be somewhat stylized (as real hunts can be pretty wild and crazy), but we think this will be a significant improvement in the game overall. We’ll share more information later this summer. This new gameplay will be added to the existing game later this year, if all goes well, and then be part of Tower Fall, which we’re aiming to release early in 2018.

Planning New Music
We met with composer Tim Buzza to start planning the musical soundtrack for Tower Fall. Tim’s music is one of the very best aspects of the game, so we’re eager to hear what he comes up with. (And remember you can buy the complete soundtrack plus a 26-minute video documentary about the music of WolfQuest! We’ll add the Tower Fall tracks upon release.)

WolfQuest on Social Media
Since it looks like WolfQuest will be around for awhile, we decided to put more effort into our social media presence. We now have an official WolfQuest channel on YouTube, an official Facebook Page, and we’ve revived our Instagram account. Longtime WolfQuest volunteer Neamara continues to manage the Tumblr, Discord, and Wikia/Fandom sites.

Facebook Page
This is our official presence on Facebook -- like or follow it to see game news and updates in your Feed! And please write a review (even a short one), we need more!

Facebook Group
This is an active online community where you can discuss the game with other players, chat with wolf biologists, and share artwork and stories about wolves.

Instagram
We're actively managing WolfQuest on Instagram now, with frequent pictures and updates.

YouTube
We finally set up a WolfQuest channel!

Twitter
We've had a Twitter account for awhile but we aim to be more active now.

Tumblr
Neamara continues to do a stellar job managing our Tumblr site.

Wikia
This is a remarkable repository of information about WolfQuest, also managed by Neamara. (Even I turn to it when refreshing my memory about certain aspects of the game.)

Discord
Also managed by the indefatigable Neamara.

Gee, no wonder I felt a bit scattered this week! But with luck, we’ll be able to focus most of our time next week on Tower Fall.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: What We Did This Week

Post by Koa » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:13 am

The mule deer look great, Dave, and I am looking forward to seeing the new pup model after all these years-- they do grow up indeed. The update to the hunting mechanic of the game is both needed and appreciated, and I am certain that new and old players alike will appreciate the work you and your team have put in. Can't wait to hear more about Tower Fall in the coming weeks.

Uzumaaki
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Uzumaaki » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:48 am

New music is very exciting!! I love the WQ soundtrack and can't wait to hear more :>

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:04 am

Whew, sounds like a busy week!

Were the mule deer modelled by the Slovakian company as well? They look wonderful!

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:09 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:Were the mule deer modelled by the Slovakian company as well? They look wonderful!
Yes, they did all the models, textures, and animations. We found them because they'd done a terrific Red Deer with similar movements. Really great artists.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Shiverdam
Pup
Pup

Post by Shiverdam » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:53 am

The movement of the deer is absolutely gorgeous. I feel like they might make the Elk look a bit stilted! That being said, are there plans to improve/replace the elk models?

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:09 pm

Shiverdam wrote:The movement of the deer is absolutely gorgeous. I feel like they might make the Elk look a bit stilted! That being said, are there plans to improve/replace the elk models?
:D
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Pursue

Post by Pursue » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:08 pm

All these updates sounds great, Dave! I can't wait the meet of Mule Deer family.

Edit: can't wait the spoiler of new pup model
Last edited by Pursue on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wolfluvr101
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Rexx

Post by wolfluvr101 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:11 pm

The models all look wonderful! I am definitely excited to see what the older pups will look like.
I noticed that the social media sites were going again and I love the fact that you guys have been interacting with people on them as well! I've noticed replies to comments on the Facebook page and I've had multiple comments on some of my Instagram posts.
Thank you for continually updating us!

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:57 pm

Wonderful! I can't wait to see the older pups- not rushing you, of course! I'm quite excited for Tower Fall, and every announcement makes my excitement grow.

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:02 pm

That's amazing I can't wait to see all of this implemented in the game!! These will look amazing, I was wondering how the rest of the models will look. The mule deer will have antler loss as well during the late winter/spring. Right?

Kitas
Pup
Pup
Name: Liv

Post by Kitas » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:23 pm

This looks great, Dave!! :D

Ecliptic
Pup
Pup

Post by Ecliptic » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:11 pm

So excited to see the older wolf model! Also the deer family is a nice surprise. I've been wondering what the new music would be like... can't wait for that either!

howl-ite
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by howl-ite » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:13 pm

They look amazing!

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:29 am

loboLoco wrote:We commissioned all the mule deer from a game animation company in Slovakia, and they put the finishing touches on the doe, so now we have a complete family!
Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!

Almost a shame we won't get to observe them standing around this calmly, though. They look fantastic, and it's soothing to watch them like this. This footage looks very promising.

As for everything else... Sounds like you've been all over the place! You've been working very hard from the sound of it, and I respect how you've still managed to keep organised enough to get so much work done.

I'll be looking forward to sneak previews of the older pups and soundtrack... :)