New version: multiplayer and chatting

Archived news, updates and announcements.
Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Neamara » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:50 am

Adding on, there has always been a possibility of lexicon closure/removal, hence the addition of phrased and disabled chat modes.
WQ Coordinator wrote:We do know, however, that if WolfQuest runs out of funding, we will either have to turn off the chat altogether or definitely implement a phrased chat system.
Source: Will WolfQuest ever take away the chat lexicon?

Ironic
Pup
Pup

Post by Ironic » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:29 am

Well if your guys are worrying about the chat going down, why not donate money to help it from dying. Ask anyone in the family-wait we do have a donation center, right? If not, instead of giving ideas it's going to close, then a donation center!

Hm, anyway. I hope running the game wouldn't be so bad. And I do hope there's more maps to this game as well. I'm tired of seeing the same maps; new ones would help a ton. Not only that, we should have humans. Not humans like humans, but mountains explores across yellowstone..

etc. etc. once this is updated I would post more.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:48 am

Ironic wrote:Well if your guys are worrying about the chat going down, why not donate money to help it from dying. Ask anyone in the family-wait we do have a donation center, right? If not, instead of giving ideas it's going to close, then a donation center!
Donation information was previously available on the store page up until December 2012. In-app purchases will be a good way to support the team and their project as some amount of the earnings can be put back into the game for new features, bug fixes and further development. As this is completely optional you're not forced to buy anything, though you can if you choose to.

No idea if there are any plans to reintroduce a more direct means of donating money to support the project before or after app launch. Chat lexicon's fate is still dependent on phase two which is still in limbo, so unless announced otherwise by the team, it can happen at any time... exempting the community forums being locked down to a read-only state.

kitten2258
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by kitten2258 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:27 am

really i play wolf quest and hears my opinion of the chat omg you wont even let any one even say gender please don't take away lexicon. not many people can get on private and phrase chat is just horrible. down right horrible. and also please ad dens you can walk in like if your pups are young they stay their and you can choose if your a pup and please a little more cusmasation. and let the game keep on going at the end on slough creek ethier you dont make it or it pretty much says the end sorry yor done now start over. i personaly think when you get to the summer ground your pups should grow up and they help you raise more and please at least lay off lexicon restrictions or make no restrict chat this is all just my opinon hope it helps also to other wolf quest players you might know me as kit from rp im not aloud to play any more :cry:

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:44 am

kitten2258 wrote:really i play wolf quest and hears my opinion of the chat wowsers you wont even let any one even say gender please don't take away lexicon. not many people can get on private and phrase chat is just horrible. down right horrible. and also please ad dens you can walk in like if your pups are young they stay their and you can choose if your a pup and please a little more cusmasation. and let the game keep on going at the end on slough creek ethier you dont make it or it pretty much says the end sorry yor done now start over. i personaly think when you get to the summer ground your pups should grow up and they help you raise more and please at least lay off lexicon restrictions or make no restrict chat this is all just my opinon hope it helps also to other wolf quest players you might know me as kit from rp im not aloud to play any more :cry:

If you would like to add your opinion regarding dens only, please do so here: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=74985

There are other threads that are more specific to some of the things that you mentioned, so feel free to post your opinions on those threads in this forum.

In regards to your concerns about the lack of a lexicon in open games in the new version, unfortunately, the lexicon has proven that it is more trouble than it is worth. WolfQuest multiplayer, while it may hold more importance to certain players, is not entirely the main focal point of the game. The team is trying to solidfy and improve the overall experience that will help accomplish the game's overall intended goal, but it is still not at the core of what game content (singleplayer) that WolfQuest offers.

Phrase chat offers safe options that are appropriate in the context of the weight of multiplayer as well as in the context of WolfQuest's targeted audience. Private games will be improved in the upcoming tablet version and may have more leeway in terms of chat options, but you should only use private games with people who you know personally.

The goal is to provide an educational but safe experience in all forms; WolfQuest is not an MMO and will never be one. I think that phrase chat can accomplish the former for the multiplayer component in a safe, streamlined way for everyone.

sprinter1
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by sprinter1 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:42 pm

I certainly injoy lexicon, and most people that rp on MP games hate the idea of getting rid of that. I personally dis-like the idea of no lexicon. I only come on wolfquest when I have time and freedom, and its hard to have dramatic rps without lexicon. I dont want vulgar or gore or anything bad in my rps and I make sure that is clear in my rp. But i am glad to here wolfquest is updating!

fruit
Pup
Pup

Post by fruit » Tue May 19, 2015 1:58 pm

Does this mean you have pups with other players? Sorry I'm a bit confused. If so, that would be awesome! But my friend and I usually play on two player worlds and we are both girls. Is there any chance of having NPCs? That would be cool so that you can have pups in private servers. And it would be really fun to have help besides your mate in the game. I am pretty bad at raising pups but my friend is pretty good so it would be perfect if she could help me out. Like she could be taking care of the pups and I could hunt. Plus in real wolf packs everyone in the pack takes care of the pups so this would make it more realistic.

skylerdragon
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by skylerdragon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:01 pm

this is bad because what is if the people and me cant afford the game i got some game people who can support you and im 13 years old so and i hate that it will be only voice chat and only in the private battles i want more freedom there should be where you can talk to anyone with out using a microphone and i hope you have it so a webcam will work to talk to player its not fare and the people who are to poor and ill be homeless soon so i wont be able to help you if im homeless from your game i love this game and al but step it up you guys need to use your head come on k and top of that im a girl.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:25 am

sprinter1 wrote:I certainly injoy lexicon, and most people that rp on MP games hate the idea of getting rid of that. I personally dis-like the idea of no lexicon. I only come on wolfquest when I have time and freedom, and its hard to have dramatic rps without lexicon. I dont want vulgar or gore or anything bad in my rps and I make sure that is clear in my rp. But i am glad to here wolfquest is updating!
Implementing the lexicon again in text-based chat would actually mean that there is a 'whitelist' of words you can use. If the new version will contain text chat without a set lexicon, it would mean that you could basically say anything and everything you want at your own responsibility. So hey, who knows, maybe in the future you'll be able to actually improve your RPing experience in the private games depending on what the final decisions will be! :)
Albatrox wrote:Does this mean you have pups with other players? Sorry I'm a bit confused.
Going off on this-
loboLoco wrote:It would let up to five players join a game as adults (parents and older offspring), raising the pups together.
It sounds like that'd indeed be the case :) It's not entirely clear to me either whether the co-op game would start off at a den with the puppies already there or would start off the way the single player Slough Creek mission does, but at least you should be able to play the mission with your friend (if co-op Slough Creek indeed happens!) Gameplay wise there's really no difference between playing a male or a female wolf on the game, so one of you could select a male wolf if that turns out to be necessary.
skylerdragon wrote:this is bad because what is if the people and me cant afford the game i got some game people who can support you and im 13 years old so and i hate that it will be only voice chat and only in the private battles i want more freedom there should be where you can talk to anyone with out using a microphone and i hope you have it so a webcam will work to talk to player its not fare and the people who are to poor and ill be homeless soon so i wont be able to help you if im homeless from your game i love this game and al but step it up you guys need to use your head come on k and top of that im a girl.
I believe the free version of WolfQuest as it is now will remain available for anyone to download. Koa also explained here why the new version will be priced. As for the chat freedom, nothing has been decided yet for sure and I believe the team will do their best to find the most convenient solution.

Hairam
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Hairam » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:02 am

The fact that there is going to be a "mission" in multiplayer makes lexicon chatting being taken away not so bad. If the chatting is going to be just phrase chat or no chat all together in this current multiplayer version, I understand why people are upset because there's nothing to do but chat with each other in this current version.

But I'm excited that you can work with others to achieve the goal of raising pups, and the voice chat in private games sounds really fun. I'm definitely excited.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:19 pm

I think I've noted this elsewhere, but here's the near-final plan for in-game chat:

Private Games (which are now much more reliable!) will have:
-Text Chat (probably with a naughty-word block, but otherwise unconstrained--no lexicon)
-Voice Chat
-Phrase Chat

Public Games will only have Phrase Chat.

Also, players under age 13 will be restricted to phrase chat in all MP game modes, unless they get parental consent for text and voice chat. That's a legal requirement due to the US COPPA law.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

MimpiDreams
Pup
Pup

Post by MimpiDreams » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:24 am

Ok the next version on Wolf Quest will be very different.Wolf Quest 2.7 had very changes,but the game will be perfect!

Kelvin
Pup
Pup

Post by Kelvin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:34 pm

How 'bout adding some emotes to the text chat? We've got howling, bowing and tail-wagging in the game already. Also, I apologize if this has already been brought up.

LassieMuller
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by LassieMuller » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:54 pm

I have a suggestion : We could choose the language we speak in the hall created , there are several players from other countries. Most players do not speak English like me. I am Brazilian and have a hard time playing in multiplayer mode, and this is very frustrating!! :(

WolfOfOz
Pup
Pup

Post by WolfOfOz » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:38 pm

loboLoco wrote:I think I've noted this elsewhere, but here's the near-final plan for in-game chat:

Private Games (which are now much more reliable!) will have:
-Text Chat (probably with a naughty-word block, but otherwise unconstrained--no lexicon)
-Voice Chat
-Phrase Chat

Public Games will only have Phrase Chat.

Also, players under age 13 will be restricted to phrase chat in all MP game modes, unless they get parental consent for text and voice chat. That's a legal requirement due to the US COPPA law.

Sounds like a good plan! But I have to ask something, maybe request some things?
Will our accounts still be active on the tablet version, or do we have to remake them? Also, if it's okay with you, I think it'd be cool to add in addition to the play bow, howl, and tail wag, to possibly, if you can, add different tail movements? Like making it go low, maybe having your wolf roll over to show submission, or having the tail lift up in dominance, or have a growl? I'm not sure, I just thought this up as I was roleplaying.

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”