WQ 2.7 Pricing

Archived news, updates and announcements.
Locked
User avatar
Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 2265
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:35 pm
Name: Frodo/Jay
Gender: Female
Location: Being a hermit hobgoblin in the dark in my room XD
Contact:

Re: WQ 2.7 Pricing

Post by Frodo1 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:30 pm

0oO0Bubble0Oo0 wrote:I've played WQ since it first came out, but made an account last year.. I was just curious- why have you added pricing? My parents do not like using their details online. >.> And it'd be nice if the game was free like it used to be, and still is in the 2.5 version. I'm kinda annoyed that my parents wont pay the price for me, because I absolutely adore this game. It's always had the real effect of a 'wolf' on me, and I feel like it's going to go to waste if I don't get it. Why did you add prices? I know it's probably because of all the hard work, and music and such- along with coat customisation and much, much more. But why not get prices before this new update? It's still Wolf Quest, there's nothing absolutely spectacular going on with it once it's out, other than new maps, howls, coats, family edits and smarter this and that. I'm not hating I just slightly disagree with this, it seems to me like- you all want the money. D: WQ is a VERY popular community, and you guys are going to be so rich. It annoys me that I can't get this once it's out. :cry:
In addition to what Koa said, funding has been an issue for WQ for a long time. It takes lots of money to develop games, and when WolfQuest was free, they relied on donations and store income to keep running. Unfortunately this wasn't enough, which is why the game stopped being developed for several years.
Although I too would love it if WQ could stay as a free game, it's understandable that they can't. And while I know many games are just in it to make lots of money, I can assure you that WolfQuest isn't. Income earned goes to support future episodes and development, not so that the game's creators can flop down on a bed of cash.
Perhaps if the game does well with the paid version and earns sufficient income, prices will be lowered in the future. Until then, 2.5 will remain free, and Amethyst Mountain will be a free demo in 2.7 if I understand correctly. Hopefully you can convince your parents to pay for the game, too- $10 isn't that bad, and I seem to recall that Paypal is a payment method? Don't quote me on that, but if it is, Paypal is pretty safe ;)

User avatar
deserthouse
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:22 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Chengdu, Sichuan, China
Contact:

Re: WQ 2.7 Pricing

Post by deserthouse » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:24 am

Actually I have to say... as a high school student in China, $10 is not a small amount for me and my friends. $10 can afford 6 meals in my school...

User avatar
Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 2265
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:35 pm
Name: Frodo/Jay
Gender: Female
Location: Being a hermit hobgoblin in the dark in my room XD
Contact:

Re: WQ 2.7 Pricing

Post by Frodo1 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:03 pm

deserthouse wrote:Actually I have to say... as a high school student in China, $10 is not a small amount for me and my friends. $10 can afford 6 meals in my school...
$10 American money? Is that because of the exchange rate there?

Swisska
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:10 am

Re: WQ 2.7 Pricing

Post by Swisska » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:40 am

Its really great :D But can i purchase this from my phone by sms ? And can i pay by using a poland currency :?: Please i want to play the newest wolf quest :cry:

User avatar
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter
Posts: 6264
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: WQ 2.7 Pricing

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:22 am

I have a question...

Say if you buy WQ 2.7 when it isn't on Steam, yet later on (if it ever gets on Steam), you want to put it in your Steam library and earn achievements and such. Would you then get a free Steam Key with your purchase of WQ 2.7 (when it isn't on steam yet)? Or would you have to buy it again for Steam?

User avatar
loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member
Posts: 2694
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:51 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: WQ 2.7 Pricing

Post by loboLoco » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:47 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:I have a question...

Say if you buy WQ 2.7 when it isn't on Steam, yet later on (if it ever gets on Steam), you want to put it in your Steam library and earn achievements and such. Would you then get a free Steam Key with your purchase of WQ 2.7 (when it isn't on steam yet)? Or would you have to buy it again for Steam?
The main storefront we're planning to release the game on is itch.io, and they do have a method for including a Steam key with purchase. So I *think* that we could add the Steam key later on, and you could access it. But I'm not familiar enough with a couple aspects of that whole process to guarantee it at the moment.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

User avatar
-VicesAndVirtues-
Pup
Pup
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:04 pm
Gender: Female
Location: A Forest Filled With Wolves

Re: WQ 2.7 Pricing

Post by -VicesAndVirtues- » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:06 pm

In my opinion, this is incredibly fair, counting on all of your hard work on this game! I'm absolutely excited for it!

Selvin novaraptor
Pup
Pup
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:25 am

Re: WQ 2.7 Pricing

Post by Selvin novaraptor » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:39 am

Actually 10 dollar is not a low price in korea either!
After all With 10$ in korea, I can buy 5~8 days school lunch. or a box of peaches(10~20 peaches)

User avatar
DHumphrey
Pup
Pup
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:05 am
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere not in North America, unfortunately...

Re: WQ 2.7 Pricing

Post by DHumphrey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:49 am

I would say that $10 is a reasonable price as long as the game has many features and has a long(ish) playing time. Though I must say that I would have expected multiplayer to be free. Please do make it free. Then I will be happy :3

ShadyBro
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:32 pm

Re: WQ 2.7 Pricing

Post by ShadyBro » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:57 pm

I have been playing this game since it was first released, and you can bet your life I will be dishing out whatever it costs to get the full experience <3

So excited!

User avatar
firawolf
Pup
Pup
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:08 am
Gender: Male
Location: In bed

Re: WQ 2.7 Pricing

Post by firawolf » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:23 am

I think the pricing is reasonable for both versions. I can't wait to be able to play it on my pad. xD

User avatar
Gargantor
Top Elk Hunter
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:48 pm
Gender: Male

Re: WQ 2.7 Pricing

Post by Gargantor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:23 pm

I am kind of old-timer here. Had taken a break a while ago and now came back when the news about the new version reached me. I have been keeping an eye on the development.

Now, it is completely okay and fair to ask for money when it comes to games and publishing your hard work. I truly am grateful that some people decided to take this game and continue working on it. WolfQuest has a special place in my heart. I am however a bit worried about the prices. 10$ is truly not much. People who love WQ will pay for it in no time. But you must also attempt and lure in new users. For this, the game must offer a lot more than the free version we have currently.

People will not pay money if there is not much difference between the new version and the current free one. The game must offer more, a lot more. You do add new features to Slough Creek, right? Not just textures or smarter AI, right? Only additional features and longer gameplay justifies a sudden request for payment. Just to make sure people actually buy it instead of spreading the old free version.

My second worry is the multiplayer. MP has been the real draw of WQ for a very long time. Are you sure you want to make it a purchasable feature and potentially end up with barely any people on it? Why not let people flock in and gain interest in the additional features?

User avatar
roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:40 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: WQ 2.7 Pricing

Post by roguemoon » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:13 pm

Gargantor wrote:I am kind of old-timer here. Had taken a break a while ago and now came back when the news about the new version reached me. I have been keeping an eye on the development.

Now, it is completely okay and fair to ask for money when it comes to games and publishing your hard work. I truly am grateful that some people decided to take this game and continue working on it. WolfQuest has a special place in my heart. I am however a bit worried about the prices. 10$ is truly not much. People who love WQ will pay for it in no time. But you must also attempt and lure in new users. For this, the game must offer a lot more than the free version we have currently.

People will not pay money if there is not much difference between the new version and the current free one. The game must offer more, a lot more. You do add new features to Slough Creek, right? Not just textures or smarter AI, right? Only additional features and longer gameplay justifies a sudden request for payment. Just to make sure people actually buy it instead of spreading the old free version.

My second worry is the multiplayer. MP has been the real draw of WQ for a very long time. Are you sure you want to make it a purchasable feature and potentially end up with barely any people on it? Why not let people flock in and gain interest in the additional features?
New coats will also be added to 2.7, as well as several other customization features like radio collars, mange and injuries. I for one think this will be a big push in making people want the full version, I know it is for me. Other features include difficulty levels, achievements and even a whole new map to explore. I believe there's also been hints at even more new addition that we haven't been told about. I think it's enough to make people want it, and hopefully in the future if sales go well the team can add even more! (ex. new animals, a new episode)

As far as MP goes, maybe a free trial for multiplayer, with just the phrase chat and only public games, could be installed into the free version as well? Not quite sure how this would work, but it would give players a taste of what multiplayer games are like. I don't think the full version of multiplayer with private games and lexicon/voice chat should be free though, that's a pretty big feature.

EDIT: forgot to post a link to the list of new features that will be implemented into 2.7. As I said as well it's been hinted there's more coming that we haven't been told about, which I'm pretty intrigued about! And from what I understand, Slough Creek won't be available in the free trial so if people want to continue past Amethyst Mountain they'll have to purchase 2.7. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=75088

User avatar
Gargantor
Top Elk Hunter
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:48 pm
Gender: Male

Re: WQ 2.7 Pricing

Post by Gargantor » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:02 pm

roguemoon wrote: New coats will also be added to 2.7, as well as several other customization features like radio collars, mange and injuries. I for one think this will be a big push in making people want the full version, I know it is for me. Other features include difficulty levels, achievements and even a whole new map to explore. I believe there's also been hints at even more new addition that we haven't been told about. I think it's enough to make people want it, and hopefully in the future if sales go well the team can add even more! (ex. new animals, a new episode)
I meant the separate purchasable features for tablet. For example, why buy Slough Creek if it only gives you new textures?
But it CAN be a problem if indeed there will be no additional gameplay, eve when it comes to the PC version. I mean, many people pay money for content and entertainment. If all they get is a WQ 2.5 Deluxe with new texture and some new coats, they might think it wont be enough reason to buy it. Think of a game that only lets you run around some NPCs that do nothing but you can dress up your character in 6 kinds of wear. Doesnt sound all too fun.

roguemoon wrote: As far as MP goes, maybe a free trial for multiplayer, with just the phrase chat and only public games, could be installed into the free version as well? Not quite sure how this would work, but it would give players a taste of what multiplayer games are like. I don't think the full version of multiplayer with private games and lexicon/voice chat should be free though, that's a pretty big feature.
I'd say include new gameplay into Amethyst Mountain map only and let the people have fun, get a taste and want more (maybe with limits, like they cannot mark territory or feed pups but they can hunt and do stuff you could with the current version). To be honest, Phrased chat will only scare people away... I for one only played like that once. For five minutes. Frustrating feature.
roguemoon wrote: EDIT: forgot to post a link to the list of new features that will be implemented into 2.7. As I said as well it's been hinted there's more coming that we haven't been told about, which I'm pretty intrigued about! And from what I understand, Slough Creek won't be available in the free trial so if people want to continue past Amethyst Mountain they'll have to purchase 2.7. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=75088
That is understandable. I have no problem with that. IF there indeed will be proper new features. We shall see.

User avatar
Whitetigress55
Pup
Pup
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:19 pm
Gender: Female

Re: WQ 2.7 Pricing

Post by Whitetigress55 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:08 pm

Well, we have no idea how everybody may think. No game can be absolutely perfect. I'm grateful Wolfquest even made it to 2.7. I think we're all asking for too much.

Locked

Return to “WolfQuest News and Announcements Archive”