The status of things

Archived news, updates and announcements.
Sobakka

Re: The status of things

Post by Sobakka » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:04 pm

I suppose getting the older and more experienced players (who seem to always be intolerant to the newbies) to switch to a private room so that they may chat will help save a couple of newbies from getting bashed or ignored upon first playing the game. I've also been curious about the voice chat, what if we enter a voice chat server and don't particularly wish to use voice chat, will there be a way to turn yours off ingame? Also how will we be able to report any inappropriate behavior as we can't screen shot audio and I doubt we can easily begin recording what they say. And about the private servers, will there be anything (meaning topics or such) so that people can advertise any servers, or let groups discuss when they will get together and play together (as pming a large group is difficult)? Just some questions that have been on my mind.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:20 pm

wolfwhisp wrote: I suppose getting the older and more experienced players (who seem to always be intolerant to the newbies) to switch to a private room so that they may chat will help save a couple of newbies from getting bashed or ignored upon first playing the game. I've also been curious about the voice chat, what if we enter a voice chat server and don't particularly wish to use voice chat, will there be a way to turn yours off ingame? Also how will we be able to report any inappropriate behavior as we can't screen shot audio and I doubt we can easily begin recording what they say. And about the private servers, will there be anything (meaning topics or such) so that people can advertise any servers, or let groups discuss when they will get together and play together (as pming a large group is difficult)? Just some questions that have been on my mind.
Not sure about your first question.
In regards to the private servers, remember that they are private. Essentially, you'll be entering a private server at your own risk. So, if there (unfortunately) does by chance happen to be any inappropriate behavior, I do not think you will be able to do anything about it. That's my understanding of it.

I am aware that the changes effect the social dynamic for both public and private games. There may or may not be threads to advertise private games, but I suspect there may be issues on those threads where inappropriate games are advertised, and we'd then have to take care of things. I'm more inclined to see how everything goes then immediately creating/allowing a mass thread for advertising.

Sobakka

Post by Sobakka » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:55 pm

Thank you for clearing that up Koa. Also a question or suggestion for the voice chat, how about a setting where you can turn off the audio you are receiving from another player? For example say they are doing something inappropriate or if there is a lot of loud background noise (in my case loud little siblings, inappropriate tv, and foul language from angry peers). Moving away from the suggestion, I also think the private chat idea will help keep trolls (not sure if that's the correct term in this case) from getting onto servers and stirring up trouble. (Think I'm finally out of questions/suggestions/comments)

skylerdragon
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by skylerdragon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:09 pm

no bad idea bad bad idea we want to be able to have freedom its not fair we want to be able to rolplay please please i wish i couyld be a monirator but no you guys had to be mean i mean man up and stuff and im sorry if i come out rude im just saying its not fair im so sorry

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:21 pm

skylerdragon wrote:no bad idea bad bad idea we want to be able to have freedom its not fair we want to be able to rolplay please please i wish i couyld be a monirator but no you guys had to be mean i mean man up and stuff and im sorry if i come out rude im just saying its not fair im so sorry
Remember that WolfQuest is not a roleplaying game; the players involved with multiplayer simply created the culture to be that way, even though (to my knowledge) that was not intended by the development team. Safety is prioritized over something like whether or not players can easily roleplay. It's not a matter of "being mean;" it's a matter of being practical. Firstly, moderators are no longer in charge of monitoring the multiplayer for the current version of the game -- Report Team members are. In the upcoming version of the game, public games are phrase-chat only. This helps to solve the issue of bad behavior in public games, so no one is subjected to it. In turn, this moves any potential of bad behavior to private games, and makes reporting unnecessary. As I mentioned earlier, you will be entering private games at your own risk. We are sorry that this stifles roleplaying in multiplayer, but keep in mind that the restrictions present in public games are there to make sure that what behavior takes place is undoubtedly good behavior. If you wish to roleplay, you must enter private games... at your own risk. If you believe that coordinating private games and servers with strangers so you can roleplay outweighs the risk of encounters with bad behavior, that is your choice.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:26 pm

Being restricted to phrased chat in open games doesn't completely remove your ability to roleplay, either. If people can roleplay with no chat at all, roleplay with phrased chat is definitely possible. If you wish to roleplay, you also have the option of using the WolfQuest Roleplay Thread here on the forums, provided your roleplay fits in with the rules of that thread, which also means you won't have to deal with the restrictions of the lexicon or phrased chat in multiplayer.
Moderators are also not the ones developing the new version of the game -- our role is on the forum only. We are not the ones creating and putting the new chat developments through.

skylerdragon
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by skylerdragon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:36 pm

its still not fair if you cant get into private games to talk then what you cant find out the password to get into the match its just not fair youll lose another memeber to rotting for wolfquest if you get rid of being able to talk in the public ones its just so not fair

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:41 pm

The updates, like Koa said, are a matter of being practical and keeping open games safe for all users. Unfortunately, to keep inappropriate behavior at a minimum, it was decided that restricting open games to phrased or no chat would be the best option. It's not because the developers want to make things unfair for users who don't know any passwords to private games, it's for the safety of users in open games. You can always come over to the forums to look for private games, I'm sure there will be plenty of advertising once the changes take effect and 2.7 is released. If not on a dedicated thread, then likely packs in Pack Central.

-August-
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by -August- » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:32 pm

I do not like this... I at least want lexion chat in multiplayer so i can hang out with my pack... :x

Kittea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Yas

Post by Kittea » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:52 pm

You could still hang out and chat with your pack in a private game. If you need to contact them the forums have a private message system that you could use to coordinate.

Kelvin
Pup
Pup

Post by Kelvin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:34 am

I've got a couple of questions. First, is there a thread for posting suggestions? And second, when you get around to updating the Windows game, would you consider adding support for Linux? Or releasing the project files/assests so other people can try doing so?

Chumpkins_
Name:

Post by Chumpkins_ » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:57 am

The thread for forum suggestions is here, and I think they closed the suggestions for the game since they weren't planning on updating it. I'm not sure about support for Linux. I'd doubt it because of the funding, but still a possibility.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:01 am

1) Assuming you're asking about game-related suggestions, there used to be: Ideas for new episodes. Whether or not it is revived/recreated is up to the team.
2) I can't answer for Linux support. As for releasing the game's source code and assets, the team have stated that there are no plans to do so for numerous reasons.
Rikkuzilla wrote:I have spoken to Dave personally and he says there's a lot of really technical, practical, and liability issues involved, which is why he has no interest in releasing the game source.
Source: WolfQuest Update

MimpiDreams
Pup
Pup

Post by MimpiDreams » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:53 am

loboLoco will you add the shadows to WolfQuest 2.7 like in 2.0.2 Survival of the pack? :?:

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:27 am

mimpi1000game wrote:loboLoco will you add the shadows to WolfQuest 2.7 like in 2.0.2 Survival of the pack? :?:
Koa wrote: Regarding the possibility of shadows in the tablet version:
loboLoco wrote:@Neamara: I may have cheated by including the shadow. The latest tablets may be powerful enough for shadows, but I haven't tested that yet. If so, I'll enable shadows in the highest quality setting, so you can try it and see if it crashes your device. In most cases, it probably will.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... s#p2344587

The original WolfQuest game used to have shadows until the release of 2.5., as they caused issues given the new lighting and weather effects during beta testing.
Not sure what the latest is for shadows; things could have changed.

Return to “WolfQuest News and Announcements Archive”