The status of things

Archived news, updates and announcements.
smitty

Re: The status of things

Post by smitty » Tue May 19, 2015 4:01 pm

I definitely plan on a purchase, hopefully the price won't turn out to be a little too hefty for the Windows/Mac platforms.

Sobakka

Post by Sobakka » Sat May 23, 2015 7:14 pm

Glad that the forum is sticking around. A bit of a shame that the lexicon will be no more, I feel it will very likely drive away a lot of current and potential players.

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Tue May 26, 2015 4:27 pm

wolfwhisp wrote:Glad that the forum is sticking around. A bit of a shame that the lexicon will be no more, I feel it will very likely drive away a lot of current and potential players.
I fell the same. As a new note you could play WQ SP anywhere!

MimpiDreams
Pup
Pup

Post by MimpiDreams » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:43 am

Wait a second....is wolf quest 2.7 you can play on all tablets or the game is only for iPad?

Kittea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Yas

Post by Kittea » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:52 am

The game will be available on Android tablets, iPad, as well as Windows and Mac.

Sources:
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=76405

http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=75087

MimpiDreams
Pup
Pup

Post by MimpiDreams » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:33 am

Thank you.Because i read for Wolf Quest 2.7 will be only for iPad and Samsung galaxy tab. :) :o 8)

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:01 am

Smartphones are not set in stone; the team can look into support for smartphone devices, but there is no guarantee due to the scale of the graphical interfaces shown throughout the course of the game -- ie, mission prompts/instructions/reminders and tutorials.
loboLoco wrote:Phone screens strike me as too small for the game interface, but we can look into it.
Source: WolfQuest for iPad?
loboLoco wrote:Due to the onscreen interface requirements, it will be tricky to modify it for smartphones, but we will look into that.
Source: Release dates and platforms

The iPad app will launch first, followed by Android and Kindle, then the Windows and Mac versions, within weeks or months of each other depending on the developers' schedules.

wolfbeat
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfbeat » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:42 am

Hey people. Buy it up. :lol:

No I'm serious. :evil:

_Nimbus_
Pup
Pup

Post by _Nimbus_ » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:38 pm

I think this update will make Wolfquest more of a game and less of a Informative "overview" of a life of wolf.
I'm against the "pay to play" approach, as wolfquest has always been free, but that's not my decision
P.S Will the forums remain free?

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:14 pm

Finbar_Fengo wrote:I think this update will make Wolfquest more of a game and less of a Informative "overview" of a life of wolf.
I'm against the "pay to play" approach, as wolfquest has always been free, but that's not my decision
P.S Will the forums remain free?
The informative/educational aspects will still be there regardless of WolfQuest being free or premium. I'd hazard a guess that that much will not be changing, seeing as Eduweb is well known for their educational range of games (http://eduweb.com) and this project was founded between them and Minnesota Zoo. Due to the zoo distancing themselves from the project, it's no longer a case of keeping the game free through donations or NSF grants, and it's too late for Eduweb to back out now or take the loss since they have pooled their own resources and time into this update.

Purchases will not only help the team make their investment back, but it will also help determine the project's future as well. If people want WolfQuest to receive updates, the team need the funding to make that happen; it's not like 2.7 is the only option, either. 2.5.1 will remain available to download for free from this website, but that version will be available as-is with no future updates planned. Whether or not 2.7 is made free in the future is for the team to decide. Whether or not the team turn to other means of seeking funding, such as Crowdfunding, is completely up to them to decide.

As for the community forum, it has always been free. I seriously doubt that that will change at all. ;) You can help support the website by clicking on ads, which generates a bit of revenue from Google for the team, though this is more for website upkeep and maintenance costs than it is for game development. (Refer to this thread for further information regarding the on-site adverts.)

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:19 pm

• It's encouraging to hear how many people will purchase for the game! I can't wait to see some gameplay videos, since I don't own a compatible device personally.

MimpiDreams
Pup
Pup

Post by MimpiDreams » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:07 am

And...why the lexicon chat in WolfQuest 2.7 will be shut down? That is my favorite chat and when you know English it is so easy to use. Its hard for me to chat with phase chat.Can you make new chat-3 versions for chat? :?: :!:

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:04 am

The current (and soon-to-be-obsolete) version of the game will not be receiving any further updates. If players wish to continue playing WolfQuest 2.5.1 and for whatever reason cannot or do not want to purchase the updated version, they will have to find an alternative method of chatting if phrased mode is undesired -- ie, private messaging on the forums. 2.7 will be able to utilise phrased chat in public sessions, with voice and text (filtered only by a naughty words list) chat options being available in private sessions.

As for the "why", consider the state of lexicon chat as it is now. It's easier to just put it to rest, look ahead to and focus on the project's future. Please refer to these topics-
WQ Coordinator wrote:WolfQuest Games: the current version of WolfQuest (Survival of the Pack) will be available for download and gameplay for as long as we can afford the server. We will eventually remove the multiplayer lexicon so only phrased chat and no chat options are available, but we hope this phase won’t take place for many months to come. There are no plans (or funding) to make a WolfQuest Episode 3.
Source: WolfQuest Update
WQ Coordinator wrote:While there has been much discussion about removing the chat lexicon in favor of a ‘phrased chat’ (with the chat created by selecting from a list of pre-determined phrases), we hope the inappropriate language and behavior will diminish enough so we won’t have to do this anytime soon. We do know, however, that if WolfQuest runs out of funding, we will either have to turn off the chat altogether or definitely implement a phrased chat system (which is the choice we’re hoping for). But we’re hoping that won’t be anytime in the near future.
Source: Will WolfQuest ever take away the chat lexicon?

illicit
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by illicit » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:06 pm

Will public rooms in the new game have free chat (only filtered by naughty words) or will you have to make private rooms just so that you can chat without having to choose phrases? Roleplay would practically disappear, and people wouldn't make new friends as often.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:15 pm

illicit wrote:
Will public rooms in the new game have free chat (only filtered by naughty words) or will you have to make private rooms just so that you can chat without having to choose phrases? Roleplay would practically disappear, and people wouldn't make new friends as often.
Public games will only have phrase chat; you will have to use private games if you wish for less restrictions/more flexibility.
loboLoco wrote:I think I've noted this elsewhere, but here's the near-final plan for in-game chat:

Private Games (which are now much more reliable!) will have:
-Text Chat (probably with a naughty-word block, but otherwise unconstrained--no lexicon)
-Voice Chat
-Phrase Chat

Public Games will only have Phrase Chat.

Also, players under age 13 will be restricted to phrase chat in all MP game modes, unless they get parental consent for text and voice chat. That's a legal requirement due to the US COPPA law.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 0#p2388748

Return to “WolfQuest News and Announcements Archive”