Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Archived news, updates and announcements.
spirit77

Re: Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Post by spirit77 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:59 pm

Will we still be able to type in our own words on the chat, like something that's not in the phrase list?

I have some suggestions for phrases also:
Want to play Leap Frog?
Jump over me!
Whoops, I stepped on you!

NightlyH

Post by NightlyH » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:20 am

spirit77 wrote:Will we still be able to type in our own words on the chat, like something that's not in the phrase list?

I have some suggestions for phrases also:
Want to play Leap Frog?
Jump over me!
Whoops, I stepped on you!
Hm, good question, I dont think so because you cant type anything other than what is in the list. You can go to the FAQ for more info or this forum to post your ideas (since this is a little off topic)

http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2445

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:34 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:I think Cana just wants us to shrink down the current list posted on the first post. I don't think she wants us to give anymore word suggestions.

kmdogs97
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Secretly stalking my favorite youtubers with my handy-dandy binoculars. O.O

Post by kmdogs97 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:12 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote:I think Cana just wants us to shrink down the current list posted on the first post. I don't think she wants us to give anymore word suggestions.
Yes, I think she wants us to suggest the ones that could be taken off, not on.

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:10 pm

This isn't a word suggestion, rather an idea concerning the phrased chat. If this should go in the Ideas for New Episodes topic, then please let me know and I'll move it.
Maybe you could allow wolf names again in the phrased chat chats, but still have the usernames show in the chat options.
For example, chats like "Hello, my name is Shadow!"
OR "Hi, I'm Shadow!"
But only allow them in the phrased chat games.
Just a thought.
WolfQuest's #1 fan,
Frodo

NightlyH

Post by NightlyH » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:35 am

I think the list is as good as it can get. I dont know of anything to remove or add at the moment, but I will let you know if I can think of anything to remove from the list...

smokey123

Post by smokey123 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:39 am

I think it is nice youre putting eight, ate, and make back into the game. It makes a difference... :D

-Desteny-
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Episode 2.5 ideas for phrased chat

Post by -Desteny- » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:13 pm

I thought of some phrases for the phrased chat if you need them...

Greetings:
Hello, how are you?
Hi, nice to meet you.
Good to see you again!
Welcome back!
Yo!

Goodbyes:
See you around.
Hope we will meet again!
Are you coming back?
Bye, have a nice day!
goodbye.

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:16 pm

-Desteny- wrote:I thought of some phrases for the phrased chat if you need them...

Greetings:
Hello, how are you?
Hi, nice to meet you.
Good to see you again!
Welcome back!
Yo!

Goodbyes:
See you around.
Hope we will meet again!
Are you coming back?
Bye, have a nice day!
goodbye.

Thanks for the ideas, but you better take a look at this quote. =3
SolitaryHowl wrote:

Lt Falco
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Lt Falco » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:02 am

This is great! I would like to suggest a phrase for the chat(s) ? Its just one....

General Responses:
- Aye

Thanks!

Klaabu789
Pup
Pup

Post by Klaabu789 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:41 am

Exploring
• Let’s go to
• Let’s look for
• Let’s find
• Can you find
• I need to find
• What’s over there?
• Where do you want to go?
• Look at this!
Farewell!• See you tomorrow!• Take care!• Have a nice day!• Thanks for joining us
!

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:34 pm

Hmm... maybe these will help.

- Don't hunt, I'll crash!
-This is my turf
- Please stop that
- Please leave, we are saving a spot*
- I like your wolf color!

*= Even though saving spots are not exactly encouraged, this would be a nice way to explain that a person left, but they promised to come back.

shaniaburns

Post by shaniaburns » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:37 pm

Eek! Can't wait! :D

Kovu-Ice-Crete
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Kovu-Ice-Crete » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:47 pm

So in 2.5 there’s no lexicon chat restrictions??

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:12 pm

Kovu-Ice-Crete wrote:So in 2.5 there’s no lexicon chat restrictions??
Wolfquest will never have a free chat(as then we'd have people swearing and stuff and mp would be really inappropriate) or 'all but badwords' chat, and in any case, this thread does not mention a free chat:
Cana wrote:Hello, all. I figured it was about time to give you a bigger update on episode 2.5, now that we've made a big decision. Since we created multiplayer, we've always had the idea to potentially add a phrased/canned chat system to increase internet safety and decrease the problems of people being inappropriate. So we decided to finally add this system as a chat option in 2.5. We're planning on allowing multiplayer hosts the option to host a game with a lexicon chat, phrased chat, or no chat. Again, at this time, this is the host's choice, not a requirement. We realize not everyone will use this option, and in fact, it could be that no one uses this option. But it will be nice to have as something available for people who are worried about internet safety.

And to elaborate on why a 'all but badwords' chat won't work:
Cana wrote:Judging by how difficult it has been to prevent people from saying even simple words, and how easy it is for people to creatively try to spell inappropriate words that should not be allowed in the game, a lexicon system, though flawed, works much better than a ‘ban list’ of words you can’t type.

There is almost an infinite number of ways to work around a standard chat filter system, which is why wolfquest uses a list of words you can say as opposed to a list of words you can’t. If you need a concrete example, we’ve tried to remove mating from multiplayer games, because of the inappropriate behavior that has come along with multiplayer mating. So we banned the word mate in chat names. Then we banned about 10 other ways to say the word mate. And we’ve been banning mating-related words every lexicon update ever since. And yet some mating-related words are still getting through the chat filtration system. Even some words that supposedly are banned from the lexicon are still getting through, so we will be sticking with the lexicon rather than trying to think of every creative way to type every imaginable inappropriate word and hope that the filter actually works. If you'd prefer to say words that are not in the lexicon, I'd recommend chatting via PM on the forums with the people you're playing with, or as others have said, use another chatting site or device.

Besides, this was created to be an educational game. Though it has evolved into something more than that, our main goal, and the goal of the organizations who fund the game, is to increase an understanding and appreciation of wolves and the way they live. Though we do include some words in our now 6,000+ word lexicon that have nothing to do with wolves, we did not intend the multiplayer chat to be like a chat room. We originally created the chat to facilitate multiplayer gameplay, not so you can talk about your favorite video games, what you're going to eat for supper, or where you live. Many times, we have considered making multiplayer chats just a list of 100 or so phrases you can choose from, but as long as we're able to monitor these chats, we figure a limited list in our lexicon of words is preferable to most players. If you would like to be able to chat more freely, please use another message or chat program.

Return to “WolfQuest News and Announcements Archive”