Your ideas for 'resting' in the game

Archived news, updates and announcements.

Which option do you like best?

Option 1
10%
Option 2
12%
Option 3
52%
Option 4
5%
Option 5
9%
Option 6
7%
Option 7
5%
Option 8 (do not vote on this option until it is described in the first post)
0%
Option 9 (do not vote on this option until it is described in the first post)
No votes
Option 10 (do not vote on this option until it is described in the first post)
0%

Total votes: 430

RoarOriole

Re: Your ideas for 'resting' in the game

Post by RoarOriole » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:33 pm

Cazzo wrote:I'd like if you can use R for Rest, S for Sit and Z for Sleep, and the instruction board can be shown by pressing Esc and then choose something like "Instructions/Help" that shows what buttons you can press.
S is one of the keys you can use for moving. Perhaps another like "I", for sit.

WSAD are the same as the Arrow Keys and are used for movement. So they can't be used.

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:09 pm

True, but perhaps they could make it so you had to use the arrow keys to move, no other option.

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:43 pm

Yah, I guess so. But then it would become confusing. WSDA commonly mimics the arrow keys functions.

If someone wanted to reset the buttons to keys that they can function with, they can easily edit them in the game's configuration. That's what I did to make the Head Cam more accessible because I don't have a num pad on my computer. I switched it to the "Tab" key instead.

:U

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:17 pm

jaguartail wrote:True, but perhaps they could make it so you had to use the arrow keys to move, no other option.
I use the WSDA keys all the time for games - it is more comfortable and doesn't strain my arms/fingers.

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:44 pm

^ I use arrow keys for the same thing. I have a laptop so the keys are closer together for me.

Input configuration can easily be changed and fiddled with if time is given. It would be best to leave it as is because some people are more comfortable with one thing than the other, and having the options open for you instead of setting it up yourself is more convenient.

Kanayri

Post by Kanayri » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:37 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:
jaguartail wrote:True, but perhaps they could make it so you had to use the arrow keys to move, no other option.
I use the WSDA keys all the time for games - it is more comfortable and doesn't strain my arms/fingers.
I know right? I'm much more comfortable using the WSDA keys than the arrow keys simply because I can use my left hand for movement and my right hand for steering and selecting. It keeps my hands free and non-cramped ;)

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:30 am

We aren't going to officially change any keys already in place for other actions in the game, so if you want to use 's', you will have to change your own keyboard configurations. That's why 'r' and 'z' seemed like our best options... they somewhat make sense. Though now that we may need a key for standing, I suppose it does make things more confusing.

Does anyone have any critiques of the options listed? Remember, the option we choose will partially be determined by votes, partially by discussion, and partially by programming needs. So feel free to start more discussion!
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

Maia Huntress
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Maia Huntress » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:31 am

This is a great idea for a topic!

I think Option 3 is the best out of them all; it seems a lot easier and less confusing than the others by far.

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:13 pm

I got some critique, Cana 8D

But in the form of a question

Most of the options [including #3, apparently], have it saying that we can choose the time of day we can wake up. If it was any hour we wanted there would probably be a need for the moon or sun to be in different areas of the sky to make it convincing for us, yes?

Lighting would also have to be changed around dawn and dusk. And darken/lighten the closer they get to midnight/noon.

I think that would take up too much time, and just be a paused animation of the day passing.

I think if we can choose the time, make it relative time frames, such as "dawn, dusk, day, night" so that there wouldn't be so much work on the sky in terms of the time, and that the lighting doesn't have to be edited so much.

We could always do just plain "day/night", but don't wolves normally hunt around early morning and late evening? I'm not that sure but I heard that somewhere on here.

In regards to #3 I still feel displeased. I like it, it's just that it's set to a "domino effect". I don't want to go through all of the options just to stand up.

I would much rather prefer having something like...this...

"Z" for sleep; Question would pop up asking if you want to sleep and if so, when you would like to wake up. In relative time frames [dawn, dusk, day, night].

[weather could have a random "percentage of chance" of occuring when you wake up. ex: night has a clear sky, you sleep till day time, and when you wake up it's raining.] But weather doesn't matter here XD

"R" for lay down/sit. Press it once to sit, press it twice to lay down. When sitting or laying down, you could press any other key that does a function in the game [except for C] to stand back up.

In MP, you could set the game to whatever time you desire before starting [dawn, dusk, day, night] around where you set names, passwords, and how many people will be in your game.

I don't really care for the MP one really, since I don't go on much. But I think it would make some players realize that there was a game change. :'D Of some sort at least.

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:38 pm

Well, I won't go into too many details of what's planned, because again, I don't want to mention something now that might change later once it's programmed into the game, but Shusuke, that is pretty much exactly how we were planning on incorporating the different times of day. We don't have enough funding to try to make the change in time of day visible as the sun slowly rises/sets/etc., but we did have funding to design a noon, midnight, dawn, and dusk landscape, which I'll hopefully be showing some screenshots of in the next newsletter. So that's why we decided to include the option to sleep (in single-player) until the specified time of day. Which actually means that the time of day you're used to seeing now (early morning in SC and I think midday in AM) probably won't be the same in 2.5. And it wouldn't really be possible to change the time of day every time a player chooses to sleep in multiplayer, which is why (as it's planned now but not yet programmed,) the host of the game will choose the time of day when he/she creates the game, and that won't change until the host creates a new game and chooses to change the time of day.

In general, I don't think we should use more than two keys for resting or sleeping, including standing up from the sitting/lying down position. So Shusuke, I really like your idea that you'd just automatically stand up if you press another key (jump, run, walk, etc.). I'll put that as option 7, though I know it won't receive as many votes simply because it's so late in the polling. But I definitely think it's worth mentioning as a possible option.

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:02 pm

No way. o3o My guesses on things are starting to scare me when it comes to stuff like this D8

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Shusuke- I think maybe you are actually a secret part of the WolfQuest Team and I just haven't met you yet. Perhaps you even know more than I do...

So everyone, please direct your questions about 2.5 to Shusuke. :D
(JUST KIDDING!!)

Or perhaps it's just because I described it a big abstractly and you just happened to be in the same frame of mind as me when I described it. But again, it's just the way we currently plan to program it... that may change if we determine something else would be better.

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:54 pm

WQ Coordinator wrote:Well, I won't go into too many details of what's planned, because again, I don't want to mention something now that might change later once it's programmed into the game, but Shusuke, that is pretty much exactly how we were planning on incorporating the different times of day. We don't have enough funding to try to make the change in time of day visible as the sun slowly rises/sets/etc., but we did have funding to design a noon, midnight, dawn, and dusk landscape, which I'll hopefully be showing some screenshots of in the next newsletter. So that's why we decided to include the option to sleep (in single-player) until the specified time of day. Which actually means that the time of day you're used to seeing now (early morning in SC and I think midday in AM) probably won't be the same in 2.5. And it wouldn't really be possible to change the time of day every time a player chooses to sleep in multiplayer, which is why (as it's planned now but not yet programmed,) the host of the game will choose the time of day when he/she creates the game, and that won't change until the host creates a new game and chooses to change the time of day.

In general, I don't think we should use more than two keys for resting or sleeping, including standing up from the sitting/lying down position. So Shusuke, I really like your idea that you'd just automatically stand up if you press another key (jump, run, walk, etc.). I'll put that as option 7, though I know it won't receive as many votes simply because it's so late in the polling. But I definitely think it's worth mentioning as a possible option.
Since we've had this topic open for two weeks now, we probably won't get any more good suggestions. So, perhaps we could reset the voting, delete the extra options, put a week or so time limit on the poll, and see how things turn out. The added options do deserve fair chance at getting votes, which isn't really happening when 5 options have been voted on for two weeks, and then mine and shusuke's can't really win because of how much head start the other options got.

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:12 pm

I'd consider that, but that's not fair to people who voted and don't want to have to vote again, especially since it's the holiday season... a lot of people are on break right now.

Just remember- the number of votes doesn't strictly determine the winner. It's more to see if there's definitely something that stands out more, or something that absolutely no one likes. I will most definitely take into account that the last four options were added later than the first three. (And yet look at how well some of them are doing!)

I'll let everyone put in their final votes until January 1st. At that point, we'll lock this topic (to close the poll) and start discussing within the WQ Team.

I'll put the new Jan 1st deadline on the first post.

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:29 pm

WQ Coordinator wrote:Shusuke- I think maybe you are actually a secret part of the WolfQuest Team and I just haven't met you yet. Perhaps you even know more than I do...

So everyone, please direct your questions about 2.5 to Shusuke. :D
(JUST KIDDING!!)
I'm WQ's Secret Santa then =D

I'm okay with the polls staying open, but I'm still baffled by how many people voted for #3.Why #3? D': It seems like the worst option to me [still sticking with not liking domino effect metaphor]. But this is just my opinion.

Return to “WolfQuest News and Announcements Archive”