The WolfQuest 2.5 Design Contest!

Archived news, updates and announcements.
WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Re: The WolfQuest 2.5 Design Contest!

Post by WQ Coordinator » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:36 pm

Yep- when the finalists have been notified, I'll announce it on here and lock this topic.

Hmm... perhaps we could have just a couple-sentence summary then the full description below. We'll see how much time I have for editing. ;)
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:00 pm

I'd personally prefer to have the full description. A summary may not answer all the questions i have on a certain idea,and may not explain the idea fully. Even if the idea I entered becomes a finalist{and no,i will not,i repeat not,tell you what my idea is},i'm not going to instantly click on it. Seeing as I'll have little or no more to read after the first post,I don't mind reading 15-20 lengthy descriptions. I can always read a few,bookmark the page,and come back later.

Two questions though:
How long will we have to vote?
Will we be able to change our vote?

Siage
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Siage » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:34 am

I doubt that we will be able to change our vote, if people say, 'Oh oh, I'm voting for Bob!' Then everyone may want to then change their votes to Bob, and even though Bill was the more popular finalist, Bob would win.

Bill & Bob were my example ideas. :mrgreen:

wolf567
Former WQ Moderator

Post by wolf567 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:12 am

I say summaries only. I see no need for us to base our vote on how they wrote it, I am sure we all feel you and the team have made the correct decision based on how they wrote it, all we need to do is vote on the idea itself, nothing more, nothing less.

I remember how much writing I put into one of mine, if everyone did that I would not be prepared to read them all which would lead to my vote being bias since I would base it on the few I got chance to read. So I say small summaries all the way, since it does keep to what we as the community are supposed to be voting on, the idea itself, not the description of it ;)

AWolfSpirit
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by AWolfSpirit » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:44 am

I disagree, wolf567.

Not basing it off how they wrote it, but it would give us the entire idea of what it's about. It wouldn't be fair if there was an idea... (unrealistic, but just an example)

You will get an owl buddy to watch out for your pups the entire game. But in the end, it kills your remaining pups.

The summary is:

You will get an owl buddy to watch out for your pups the entire game.

Eh, now, how fun would that be?

Also, jaguar, I don't think anyone wants to know what your idea is. (I'm not saying that offesively, just saying I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to ask and get banned.)

Aurora Lights
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Aurora Lights » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:08 am

AWolfSpirit wrote:
Also, jaguar, I don't think anyone wants to know what your idea is. (I'm not saying that offesively, just saying I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to ask and get banned.)
He was just stating an idea on topic, you don't have to overreact about it.
(Also if you thing that he would get banned for that, I don't see what your talking about. It's just an idea.

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:42 am

Calm down, Spirit, try to be more open-minded; jaguartail was just expressing an idea as you also do in other topics, no need to over-react because of a post.

Now, let the discussion continue; keep it proper and not rude, as you might get in problems because of that.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:50 am

Hmm, I think a summary of the main idea would be good. The Team already selected it based on the whole description, and we can trust them in having done well.

wolf567 said, if there is too much text, people might not vote because they can't be bothered to read that much.

AWolfSpirit
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by AWolfSpirit » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:13 am

AWolfSpirit wrote:(I'm not saying that offesively, just saying I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to ask and get banned.)
Thank you.

I didn't mean to "overreact" So, uh... yeah, nevermind.

But I still say why not post the whole thing?

AWolfSpirit
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

The WolfQuest 2.5 Design Contest! Topic

Post by AWolfSpirit » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:15 am

Whoops, accident... Sorry for the double post

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:17 am

"{and no,i will not,i repeat not,tell you what my idea is}" - quoted from jaguartail. Just to make sure (this was for the post you submited and then edited/deleted).

VanishingPawPrints
Yearling
Yearling

Post by VanishingPawPrints » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:42 am

If it is possible I think you should do both the summary of the main idea and the whole description, that way those that have a short attention span or don't have the time to read everything can vote, and those that want to read the whole discription can.

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:46 am

WQ Coordinator wrote:Alright, we're really close to making our final decisions, but are trying to figure out the best way to show the ideas. We were originally going to just copy what the person submitting the idea said, but I believe all of the finalists' descriptions would be a little too long for the average person's attention span (when reading all the descriptions together in order to make a decision). So because we already discussed the scientific accuracy of the ideas, we're leaning toward just writing a 2-3 sentence summary of the finalists' ideas. Because, at this point, you should be voting on the idea rather than how it was described. We already made the decisions based on description and writing. Just curious, does that sound fair to everyone? (Not that if you disagree I'll necessarily be able to go with your opinions, but I'm just curious.)

Also, once the finalists have been notified, I'm going to lock this thread to avoid further discussion. And the threads with the polls will also not allow any posts. We really want to make sure people are voting on the idea, and this time, not being convinced one way or another by persuasive posters. So this is your last chance for discussion and questions... anything else you want to know before this thread is locked? Post it now!
Thank you for that update Cana! As for the desciptions, I wouldn't mind reading a long desciption of what they have written; however as others have said they were chosen as finalists for the whole description of their idea.

I Also agree with the idea of summaries, it would be good just to go over a draft like piece to read, and its much more easier to take details in from a small peice of text rather than a large one, and as others have stated; people may not vote for the idea because they couldn't be bothered to read everything.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:31 am

Hm...how about a compromise? (Instead of a short summary or a long description...)

You could just put the name of idea, then put a few detailed points about it (maybe break-down the long description into key points?). Like this:

Idea #1
  • Keypoint 1
  • Key point 2
  • Key point 3
  • etc...etc....
That way, we still get the key points of the idea...but we don't have to read a long description.

grape500
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by grape500 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Or maybe number the ideas then have something like

1 summary
2 summary
ETC

then further down

1 full version
2 full version