The WolfQuest 2.5 Design Contest!

Archived news, updates and announcements.
WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

The WolfQuest 2.5 Design Contest!

Post by WQ Coordinator » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:29 am

Alright, the newsletter is going out now, so once you read it, if you have any questions about the Design Contest, feel free to ask them here.

Here's the link to the design contest page: http://www.wolfquest.org/designcontest/index.php

Here are some common questions that have already been asked and answered on this thread, please pay particular attention to the first answer:
wolf gardian wrote:I've been wondering - how do we submitt it, in email or do we mail it?
You can only submit your ideas with the form posted on the bottom of the contest page (http://www.wolfquest.org/designcontest/index.php). If you send your idea any other way, including as a post on this topic, it will not be considered for this contest.
DominoEagle wrote:Do you have to be in the US to enter the contest? Considering the prize does resolve around the US area.
As long as you can find a way to get to the United States, then yes, you can enter. So in other words, if you live in Europe (for example), you would have to find and pay for a flight to a major airport in the United States. If the cheapest flight for you would be to New York (for example), then WolfQuest would pay for your flight from New York to Minneapolis. If the cheapest flight you can find is actually straight through from Europe to Minneapolis, we'd probably try to find a way to reimburse you for what the flight would have cost from New York (or some other average fare) to Minneapolis. Does that make sense? We haven't figured out all the details yet, but I really wanted to make sure our fans outside of the United States had a chance to enter as well. I realize the flight to the United States may be pretty expensive, but at least some of the other stuff would be covered. But yes, definitely tweak and really think about how this idea will affect the game. The ideas will be picked based partially on description, rather than just the idea itself.

And if you want to stay longer or come earlier (I'd imagine most people from outside of the U.S. would want to stay longer than 2 nights!), you just have to pay for any additional nights in the hotel, but we'll pay for 2.
grape500 wrote:can i submit an idea for a mission or a idea i've already put on the ideas for new episodes topic
Most definitely. And honestly, there's a chance all the ideas submitted will be from that ideas thread. Just remember, even if you were the first person who submitted an idea on that thread, it doesn't mean no one else can suggest your idea for this contest. (It also doesn't mean you were the only person to think about it... it just means you were the first person to post about it.) So you may see 'your idea' posted with the finalists, even if you're not the finalist listed.
SierraWolf121 wrote:Heres a rule I didnt really get :/
All ideas must be anonymous on the forums. If you are one of the finalists and announce which idea is yours, your idea will be disqualified. If you announce who submitted any of the finalists' ideas, your account will be warned or possibly banned from WolfQuest.
Can anyone give like a better way to say it? xD
Sure, SierraWolf. So basically, if you're one of the finalists you can't say "Hey, everybody! This idea's mine! Vote for me!" or "Hey, everybody! The third idea is from my friend; vote for her!" We want people to vote for the ideas, not for the people who submitted the ideas.
Zanuvar wrote:What happends if the grand prize winner isn't able to make the trip or doesn't want to for reasons of school or work for example?
This question has been asked in a number of different ways, but basically, even if you can't go because of school or location or other reasons, you can still submit your ideas because if you win, your idea would still be put into the game. Which may not be as cool as also being able to meet the Team and fly to Minnesota, but the whole point of the contest is to get some really great ideas and have everyone involved in the process of making the next version of the game. So whether you can't fly to Minnesota or already live here, by all means, still submit your idea(s)! Just make sure you make it clear on your submission form that you definitely will not be able to attend but still want to submit your idea(s). No, you cannot transfer your grand prize to another person. Sorry.
Alycia J wrote:Do all of the "winners'" ideas appear in the game?
The only ideas put into the game would be the top idea in each category, though if the grand prize winner isn't able to fly out to MN, perhaps we'd be able to use some of that money to put more ideas into the game.
Sita wrote:I know it was mentioned that we couldn't say new seasons or areas, but what about adding a small place or den into Slough Creek? I have two or three ideas for things like that.
A new den may be okay, but technically, it is a new 'area'. We honestly probably wouldn't pick a new den site because it doesn't add much for educational value. Good question, though.
shenzie wrote:This is awesome but I know I won;t win.But one question can u bring a friend?
We will allow people to bring the rest of their family if they pay for their own flight and hotel (unless it can be shared with no extra charge), but the rest of the family will more than likely not be included in the meeting or tours with me. Though we may be able to discuss that with the grand prize winner more thoroughly if it comes up. I don't believe we will allow friends, but again, we'll have to decide that as it comes up.
Siage wrote:And if we decide to stay at the hotel longer, will WQ still provide the return flight? :mrgreen:
As long as it's the same price and that decision is made before the plane tickets are purchased, that shouldn't be an issue. (But if we buy the ticket and you decide to stay longer after that, you'd have to pay to have the date changed for your flight.)

And yes, 2.5 will be for everyone to play, just like previous episodes were.
Siage wrote:If we are a finalist, will we be e-mailed a form saying that we are finalists? Is that what we must print out and fax to you, with a signature from a parent/gaurdian?
Yes, if you are a finalist, you will be contacted via e-mail before we post them on the forum for voting. In order to be considered, you need to either return that permission form (scanned/faxed/mailed) or say that you'd like to be considered for the contest, but will not be participating in the trip.
Coldnight wrote::? So can we post ideas about like missions? because i have a really good idea that is really educational and it would be VERY fun to do?
Yep. Your idea can be new animals, actions, missions... it's up to you!
dapplewolf wrote:If you're a finalist, will you be able to vote, assuming it's not for your own idea?
Actually, you can vote for your own idea if you're a finalist, assuming you think it's the best idea. ;)
XxSilverwolfxX wrote:
Zanuvar wrote:will the ideas be used to remake the old slough creek with the same storyline or will it be continued from when the pup reached the star thing at the end or a mixture of both?
I believe that the ideas will be used in the remake of Slough Creek which is 2.5, its bascially a deluxe version of the game like they did with Amythest mountain and yes the 2.5 version of the game will still have the same storyline since the version is only for updating and improving gameplay I believe.
Silverwolf got it right- you're submitting ideas for a deluxe version. So your idea may be able to be incorporated if it's a new mission if it doesn't cost too much money to implement, basically. I'd say go ahead and submit ideas if you think they may not cost too much, but make sure you submit at least a couple ideas that you know won't cost too much to add to the game, just in case. I'd hate for all of one person's ideas to be disqualified because they'd cost too much to add to the game.
Jijaba wrote:1.What if one of the dates you can`t go.Can you change the date?
2.Does the trip need to be by plane?Can the WQ team pay for some other transportation?
The dates are set because that's when the team can get together. You cannot change the dates. And if someone has a huge aversion against an airplane flight and can find a cheaper method of transportation, we'd perhaps consider it, but the money given to us was to be able to fly the winner to Minnesota.
axelw wrote:is it only the ideas of the winner that will be put in the game or will the wq moderators put some of their ideas there like..not to big things, maybe new howls or improved animation, or will it only be the ideas of the winners?
Basically, we'll add whatever we have money for. We are expecting to add one big idea and one game enhancement, but perhaps if the ideas don't cost as much to implement, we'd be able to add more. But only expect one from each category.
PurpleBlackHeart wrote:I was wondering... Is is ok if the idea comes from someone like, my mom or one of my friends? Or does it have to be my idea. :?:
The whole point of the contest is to get our players involved in the creation of the game. So while your mom might have an excellent idea, she's probably not the one who plays the game. We'd much prefer the ideas to come from the people who actually play the game.
Kovu-Ice-Crete wrote:It says we can submit 5 ideas. Does that mean we fill out the form 5 different times? Also for are real name do we put our last name? If the answer is No then do the people who did get ignored?
Yes, submit a new form for each idea. At least most web browsers can remember some of the information you filled in, so you won't have to enter everything in by hand each time. And if you don't put your last name, you will not be ignored. We understand some people are hesitant about that kind of thing. But basically I am the only person looking at your personal information. I'm doing some pre-sorting, then I pass the main information along to the rest of the team to help decide. If you're a grand prize winner, we will need your last name, so asking for it in the form just makes things go a little more smoothly.
grape500 wrote:one thing that seems strange is i can't find anywhere to actually put your idea instead of how it improves scientific accuracy, educational value, how it works and game play
Your idea should basically be described in the first box. Your title gives us an idea for what the idea is, then the first box should describe how your idea will work (and what it is), and the next boxes basically explain why it'd be a good thing to add to WolfQuest.
AWolfSpirit wrote:Will the person who is the grand prize winner be annouced to the forums, AFTER the voting? Would WolfQuest be willing to add another mission to the end?
Yes, the grand prize winner's username (not real name) will be announced on the forums after the voting has finished. And yes, we would potentially be willing to add another mission, but if you require all the pups to be with you at the end, it's definitely a BIG idea. (Most peoples' computers can hardly handle the pups now... that's the main reason we ended it when we did.) So you can submit an idea after the 'final' episode, but I wouldn't make that your only idea.
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

Zethra

Re: The WolfQuest 2.5 Design Contest!

Post by Zethra » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:04 am

The contest looks awesome Cana! Though, yeah I kinda do have a question...

Do you have to be in the US to enter the contest? Considering the prize does resolve around the US area.

grape500
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by grape500 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:06 am

can i submit an idea for a mission or a idea i've already put on the ideas for new episodes topic

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:07 am

This contestis going to be great, I'm sure there are going to be alot of entries I mean who wouldn't want to meet the WQ Team! And I would also like to know the same as Domino since I don't live in the US and all.

StoneRose
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by StoneRose » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:09 am

Thanks for the link, Cana! I'll wait for May to come, then. If I have ideas, I'll enter them. ^^

Wolf Runner1
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Currently? Probably either: Pluto, or Saturn. Feel free to check both places.

Post by Wolf Runner1 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:25 am

grape500 wrote:can i submit an idea for a mission or a idea i've already put on the ideas for new episodes topic
I have the same question. :wink: I've already put some ideas there, so I'm wondering if they could be tweaked and submitted to the contest?

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:28 am

DominoEagle wrote:Do you have to be in the US to enter the contest? Considering the prize does resolve around the US area.
As long as you can find a way to get to the United States, then yes, you can enter. So in other words, if you live in Europe (for example), you would have to find and pay for a flight to a major airport in the United States. If the cheapest flight for you would be to New York (for example), then WolfQuest would pay for your flight from New York to Minneapolis. If the cheapest flight you can find is actually straight through from Europe to Minneapolis, we'd probably try to find a way to reimburse you for what the flight would have cost from New York (or some other average fare) to Minneapolis. Does that make sense? We haven't figured out all the details yet, but I really wanted to make sure our fans outside of the United States had a chance to enter as well. I realize the flight to the United States may be pretty expensive, but at least some of the other stuff would be covered. But yes, definitely tweak and really think about how this idea will affect the game. The ideas will be picked based partially on description, rather than just the idea itself.

And if you want to stay longer or come earlier (I'd imagine most people from outside of the U.S. would want to stay longer than 2 nights!), you just have to pay for any additional nights in the hotel, but we'll pay for 2.
Most definitely. And honestly, there's a chance all the ideas submitted will be from that ideas thread. Just remember, even if you were the first person who submitted an idea on that thread, it doesn't mean no one else can suggest your idea for this contest. (It also doesn't mean you were the only person to think about it... it just means you were the first person to post about it.) So you may see 'your idea' posted with the finalists, even if you're not the finalist listed.

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

oxoDestinyoxo

Post by oxoDestinyoxo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:32 am

Heres a rule I didnt really get :/
All ideas must be anonymous on the forums. If you are one of the finalists and announce which idea is yours, your idea will be disqualified. If you announce who submitted any of the finalists' ideas, your account will be warned or possibly banned from WolfQuest.
Can anyone give like a better way to say it? xD
Last edited by oxoDestinyoxo on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:36 am

Thanks for explaining that Cana, I was quite confused about if we could still enter or not if we lived outside the US, plus I think its nice of WQ to pay for the flight if you found a cheaper flight you guys could pay, and your probably right about people outside the US wanting to stay longer, I would be one of those people haha.

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:38 am

Sure, SierraWolf. So basically, if you're one of the finalists you can't say "Hey, everybody! This idea's mine! Vote for me!" or "Hey, everybody! The third idea is from my friend; vote for her!" We want people to vote for the ideas, not for the people who submitted the ideas. Does that make more sense?

I think I may end up making an FAQ for the contest in the first topic... that way, the answered questions won't be lost amidst what I'm sure will be quite a number of pages of posts.

Iluvdogs0000
Pup
Pup

Post by Iluvdogs0000 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:43 am

So, Cana... We don't post ideas on this very topic. Where do we post them? I have a decent Game Enhancements idea.

LordWolfey
Pup
Pup

Post by LordWolfey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:51 am

Do we sent you a personal message or send you a e-mail? I am confused! :oops:

wolf567
Former WQ Moderator

Post by wolf567 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:54 am

Check back on the following page between the 4th May and 1st June (http://www.wolfquest.org/designcontest/index.php) It will have details on there between those dates on how to enter the contest :)

LordWolfey
Pup
Pup

Post by LordWolfey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:57 am

Oh thank you! :D :D

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:52 am

Yup! What wolf567 said. There'll be a special form to submit your ideas... ideas will be considered if they are not submitted with that form. I'd encourage you not to submit your ideas right away... really give them some thought and consideration. Then, when the form is up on the website, look at the things it'll ask you to describe. Write them on a document on your computer or on paper and come back to look at and edit them later. Then, once you think you have put as much work as you can into them, finally type/paste them on the form and submit them. This is a pretty serious contest, so you're definitely not going to win if you put things like "I want to add ravens landing because I think that'd be cool".

Return to “WolfQuest News and Announcements Archive”