Have you ever touched a wild animal?

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Silverfang88
Pup
Pup

Have you ever touched a wild animal?

Post by Silverfang88 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:02 pm

I've touched quite a few. First time it was a squirrel. Then there was the to birds. The first one was a Cardenal trapped in a bag so i got him out then he bit me. The second was a warbler bird that was dehydrated so i gave it water. This time it did not bite me. Then when i was in Florida there was the tree frog and the raccoon. With the raccoon it actually touched me. So i fell asleep outside by accident (i do that a lot) I woke up and there was a raccoon eating the food in my hand. The raccoon and were both scared to death alike. That was the fastest I've ever seen a raccoon run. There's also a few snakes i touched a bunch of garden snakes and this big black one i touched in Florida (not one of my smartest moves) :oops: it lunged back at me with it's mouth open wide, fangs gleaming. Dodged it just in time, thanks to my quick reflexes and considering i was tense. Then there was the crabs i held by there claws which made them furious, expecially the big males who don't want there "big tough claws" being held down. They were like "heeey heeey heeeey! :lol: Then one time there was a nest of baby bunnies in my front yard and we held those. What are the ones you touched?
Last edited by Silverfang88 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
No longer active Might check in every few months

Katemarie123
Pup
Pup

Re: Have you ever touched a wild animal?

Post by Katemarie123 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:50 pm

I have touched wild forest mice before and that was really neat.I have also touched a few snakes,when I was little i lived at a house with lots of gardener snakes.I once picked one up by it's tail when I was 3 and I played with them since the age of 6.I have touched a wild rabbit which i actually got to hold it for like 5 seconds before it hopped out of my hands.I usually get to pet wild cats.One time by a lake me and my friend found a half drowned baby blue jay.We thought it was dead at first because it was under a rock and there was no movement until my friend said it was breathing.I went lifted up the rock and it made little noises.So i picked it up and me and my friend walked to my house.My dad got a box and some paper towels and we put it in there.We looked for someone with a phone book and no one found one and everyone said there was no use in trying to save it.But after an hour it started standing up and talking,we even fed it.Soon it was walking on our fingers and it actually flied a few times!When I left the place to go back to my regular house.I gave the bird to her which we called stubby, short for stubborn because he wouldn't eat.I have not been back to the house in a while and i hope my friends cats didn't eat the bird...I once touched a wild duck and fed it.I have also touched crabs,I also have touched jelly fish and a shark.Thanks for doing this post I really like talking about this stuff! :lol:
ɪ αℳ ∀ ϖ∅ʟƒ

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Post by Floofysaur » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Wild animals in my own backyard practically. A raccoon shows up almost everyday looking for us to feed her and she allows us to pet her; touching in a gentle way and stroke anyways. She hasn't shown aggression towards us or with her babies near us surprisingly. Yet we also had two pet Bluejays between the years. One to only survive for 6 months since it was unable to fly and was quite friendly and the second one we had up to 4 years since it was a baby.

To make a long story short, my brother was told by my mom to investigate this noise occurring in our Holly tree. When he was walking passed it something dropped next to him and he yelled, Mom! A dead bird!, when really it was a baby Blue jay just getting it's feathers. It was alive and breathing when my mom picked it up with gloves. After hours from the commotion a large black snake was on the ground slithering where the baby was dropped to. It possibly smelled it there but couldn't find it. Reason for all that commotion of birds was an attack on the babies from a snake.

The Blue jay's name was Peeps. We didn't know it's gender so we assumed it was a girl. She would flap her wings as I showed her how to fly and we wuld have her in our palm of our hands and lift her up and down as she spreads her wings preparing to fly and glide. She did well! And she was talkative every morning c:
Roses are gray,
Violets are blue,
I am a dog

howl-ite
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by howl-ite » Tue May 13, 2014 12:59 pm

• Only a few birds, that had flown into our window.
͙ ͓ ̡ ʼ ̂ ̽ ˟ ʼ ʼ ˟ ̽ ̂ ʼ ̢ ͓ ͙
valar morghulis

yes. all
men must die,
but we are not men ﴿

̂ ̽ ˟ ʼ ʼ ˟ ̽ ̂

av- Lupe
sig- lupe

banned by neam on Wednesday the 9th of May 2k18 <3
:*´¨`*:.(¯`*

melodichowl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by melodichowl » Thu May 15, 2014 1:45 am

OMG, I have touched so many that there are too many to name haha!

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:36 pm

Plenty. I hunt squirrels, rabbits and pheasants (to eat, don't worry).
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:05 pm

I once touched a baby black capped chickadee in its nest. Also I once touched a fledgling Bewick's Wren. There six fledging's scattered all over my backyard one was sitting on the lid of our trashcan. I touched and probably scared the poor thing and it fell off. I found it again and it was still fine. Another time at the beach when I was like twelve or thirteen I took a stick and flipped over a dead lions mane jellyfish so that the belle or top part was showing and not the tentacles and poked with my finger. Then some other kid next to me took my stick and started wicking it. I was not very happy about that but at least it was already dead. On that same trip during low tide small sea anemones where exposed on rocks that would normally be underwater. We discovered that if you poke them they close up on your finger and it tickles.
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

NarcissisticLife
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by NarcissisticLife » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:11 am

Oh lord. When I was about, four-ish, my mother had taken me to Rockwood Park, where I live. She was about eight months pregnant, so she set up a little spot in the grass. We had this wonderful picnic, and I was on the jungle gym, and such, when I saw a white dove. Me, being the toddler I was, curiously started running towards it. Welp. When I got to it, it had it's back turned to me. So, I kneeled down, and cupped my hands under it's wings. My fingers wrapped around it's legs to prevent it from going anywhere, and when I lifted it off of the ground, it started screechin', and flappin' it's wings like mad. I ignored it, and took it to my mother. She just looked at me, told me to put it down, and I did. The dove flew away, petrified.
¿ʎǝɥʇ ʇ,uǝɹɐ 'ƃuızɐɯɐ ǝɹɐ ǝʃdoǝd ǝsnɐɔǝ၁2

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Space

Post by Pelican » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:21 pm

I can't remember ever touching a wild animal, but I have seen wolves in captivity before.

EternalLaughter
Pup
Pup

Post by EternalLaughter » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:54 pm

I have touched a wild squirrel and coyote before. Also I've touched lions and tigers at zoos if that even counts anyway XD
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm
for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll
be warm for the rest of his life.
●~ Terry Pratchett~●

avvie: LupinzPack

Granger
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Shelby

Post by Granger » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:20 pm

I've actually had a bird fly onto my hand before and other disney-esque stuff like that.. It was this little finch and the best part was that our neighbor was standing there talking to me and my Mom at the time so he was pretty impressed. XD I think that's about it though, other than taming feral animals whose ancestors were domestic, but those don't really count. We mainly have birds, squirrels, foxes, deer, hogs, and bears in our area, and I am not touching those guys because most of them have teeth.

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:35 pm

Yesterday we found a fledging gold finch. After a web search we found that it should still be dependent in its mother for another two weeks. I held it earlier and let it sit on my belly while I was lying down. In the end it succumbed to eternal injuries from before we found. I had my mom who had been trying to feed it put in my hands and it died as a held it last night.
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:13 pm

I've held a fair amount of birds when I worked as an intern at a wild bird rehabilitation clinic last summer. It ranged from little chipping sparrows to big ol' turkey vultures. But as for touching an animal out in the wild... I used to catch a lot of toads and lizards when I was a kid. I suppose they count, haha.

American Avenger
Pup
Pup

Post by American Avenger » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:45 pm

I've held a baby squirrel and touched a fox.
spacer
spacer
Running faster. You're on your own,
Chasing the dragon.
"Miscellanea," by 10 Years.
spacer
spacer

Rawhead
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Rawhead » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 pm

We had a Red-Tailed Hawk for a short time, as well as a Snowy Owl, before the local raptor rescue was able to accept them. (One hit a power line, the other a moving vehicle.) We've had baby Muskrat wander into window-wells. My first pet was a wild Hare. Lots of bird nests and chicks! (Crow, magpie, robin, etc...) We live beside a river, where there are multiple Garter Snake dens. If you look there are Tiger Salamanders along the river underneath rocks. Our ranch raises Plains Bison and Elk... if those count as "wild"?

Those are all the live wild animals I remember touching.
:roll:
Last edited by Rawhead on Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
╭━━━━━━━━━╮╭┓┈┈┏╮
┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┃┃╰╮╭╯┃
┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┃╰━┓┏━╯
┃┈┈┈┈┈-●┈┈┈╰━━╯┃
Hiya
┣━━━━━━╯┈┈┈┈┈┈┃Hiya
╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯Hiya