Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Female wolf dies after capture for Isle Royale relocation

Post by Koa » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:30 pm

Wolf dies after capture for relocation to Isle Royale park
Sept. 29, 2018
Detroit Free Press via Associated Press

HOUGHTON, Mich. — Officials say a gray wolf captured in Minnesota for relocation to Isle Royale National Park has died.

The National Park Service plans to move 20-30 wolves from the U.S. and Canadian mainlands to the Lake Superior wilderness park in the next few years to rebuild a once thriving population.

A 4-year-old female and a 5-year-old male were successfully flown there and released this week.

Isle Royale gets 2 more gray wolves

But the park service said Friday night that another female died "despite the best efforts of the attending veterinarians" after being trapped, sedated and flown to a holding facility for a medical exam.

The park service says its wolf relocation team has adjusted procedures involving how long a captured wolf is held before transport to the island, as well as sedation measures used to reduce stress.
The article can be found here: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 470410002/
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

DaniBeez

Re: Female wolf dies after capture for Isle Royale relocatio

Post by DaniBeez » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Interesting they said "another" female died in the article, implying it's happened at least another time for this project. Being sedated and flown does sound quite stressful for a wild animal!
_
__

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:43 pm

DaniBeez wrote:Interesting they said "another" female died in the article, implying it's happened at least another time for this project. Being sedated and flown does sound quite stressful for a wild animal!
Yeah, I was puzzled about that, too. I figured the "another" could also function as comparative, as the previous two wolves survived while this one didn't?
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Ohh, I see that option now too. It's clearer if I ignore the link for the other article in between the two statements. Good point!
_
__

Return to “Wolf Conservation”