re introducing wolves into scotland

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Odokemono
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

re introducing wolves into scotland

Post by Odokemono » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:18 am

I'm not sure if this has been posted before so sorry if it has.

I've heard that after reintroducing beavers into scotland they are thinking about reintroducing wolves and bears back i'm all for it but what do you think?
DA: xxSoneaDelunaxx.deviant.com
Quizilla: xxSoneaDelunaxx (search for werewolf in the classroom)

Don't follow in my footsteps... I run into Walls

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Re: re introducing wolves into scotland

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:05 am

There's also a lot of discussion about re-introducing wolves into Ireland and United Kingdom as well.

I think it can be a very successful process or then fail miserably, who knows. I think it would be a good thing to have wolves again in places where there used to be wolves; British Wolves got hunted in extinction in the 1500s. I think it's about time for countries like Ireland, Scotland and England to have their own, independent wolf population.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:52 am

It's debatable; I've heard that the prey population in some parts have grown crazy do to the missing predators. However, you have to consider that the wolves have been gone for 500 years, and that the ecosystem has changed since then. This isn't just some reintroduction for an animal that went extinct not too far back, like it was in parts of the US, but they've been gone half a millennium. Nature adapts to heal its wounds.

It will be interesting to see the outcome.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:58 am

Songdog wrote:It's debatable; I've heard that the prey population in some parts have grown crazy do to the missing predators. However, you have to consider that the wolves have been gone for 500 years, and that the ecosystem has changed since then. This isn't just some reintroduction for an animal that went extinct not too far back, like it was in parts of the US, but they've been gone half a millennium. Nature adapts to heal its wounds.
Good point. But especially deer over-populate the Highlands. They eat and trample everything, thus preventing the forest and flora regenerating and disrupting the animals dependent on these plants. A wolf recovery will help regulate deer numbers and grazing patters allowing the flora and fauna to revive. A wolf reintroduction is a major step to restore the Highlands' natural integrity. There are a lot of good reasons why re-introduce wolves in UK:

1. Natural Heritage
"The grey wolf (Canis lupus) is a fundamental part of the European natural heritage for its symbolic, scientific, ecological, educational, cultural, recreational, aesthetic and intrinsic value." (from the Bern Convention; also see Wolf Manifesto).

2. Conservation Rights
A tenet of wolf conservation is that wolves have a right to exist in viable populations in the wild.

3. Economic
Wolves will generate income and local employment in the Highlands through wolf ecotourism. Wildlife ecotourism might replace the declining and uneconomic sheep industry in the Highlands. Wolves can help pay for themselves and any depredation through a fund drawn on wolf ecotourism.

5. European Conventions
European conventions, to which Britain is a party, require the British government to consider the possibility of reintroducing wolves and to enact legislation to facilitate reintroduction.

6. Natural Evolution
Deer evolved their agile, sleek and swift qualities to escape wolf predation. Highland deer have lost their natural predator and this development ceased. Deer can re-start their natural evolution when wolves are reintroduced.

7. European Recolonisation
Finally, wolves have begun to recolonise western Europe but cannot return unaided to this island. Now is our opportunity to take part in the European wolf recovery by doing our bit in Britain. We should extend a helping hand.

>> among many, many other reasons. Taken from UK Wolf Trust (http://www.wolftrust.org.uk/whyreintroduce.html)
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

SpiritSilverWolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by SpiritSilverWolf » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:14 pm

I found several articles about this subject awhile back, while researching for biology coursework.
It would be really beneficial in many ways if wolves were reintroduced, but have heard nothing of it since. Does anyone know more information about this?
Blightwolf wrote:There's also a lot of discussion about re-introducing wolves into Ireland and United Kingdom as well.

I think it can be a very successful process or then fail miserably, who knows. I think it would be a good thing to have wolves again in places where there used to be wolves; British Wolves got hunted in extinction in the 1500s. I think it's about time for countries like Ireland, Scotland and England to have their own, independent wolf population.

I think it will be successful if the cause of the wolf's extinction in the UK was removed, i.e. people killing them.
Don't kill wolves, people!
Life is Beautiful

Tarbtano
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Tarbtano » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:43 pm

we would have to be very, VERY careful on what wolves we use though, or else we might have a disaster like we are having the US heartland. We also have to consider the impact of local species. In the absence of wolves, wild boars of all things have actually begun predating on deer; and a fully grown tusker is more then a match for a wolf. Also, the Scottish Wild cat is hanging on by a thread in some areas, and wolves have shown to have a negative impact on small felines. Also there's the worry the wolves will move out of their introduced range and into populated areas, resulting in pet, livestock; and potentially human fatalities.

We can't rush head first into this, such a project requires 20 days of thought for every one day of action
"Let me tell you this; Dinosaurs were in no way, shape; or form inferior to your wolves."
-Prof. Reverend Robert T. Bakker

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:27 pm

I'm all for a reintroduction, but only if people are educated on the sacrifices they must make if they are to have wolves as neighbours. They certainly do not need people telling them bare-faced lies like this;
"There is so much mythology about how dangerous wolves are. Your average hamster is more dangerous."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 606987.stm
I find it alarming that the UK prefers to heed purely American experiences rather than those closer to home in Europe, which should apply much better, considering it does not have the same history of free arms distribution and unlimited civilian wolf harvests which made American wolves the timid animals they are today.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

wolfyattitude
Yearling
Yearling

Post by wolfyattitude » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:39 pm

I would be absolutly thrilled to have wolves re-introduced into Scotland (As I live there, xD) However, there are many problems with re-introducing them here.
╔═══════╗
████████
ÐEatнηΘ†E║
████████
████████
████████
████████
╚═══════╝

Avvie(c)Lupinzpack

ShadowLycan
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ShadowLycan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:20 pm

Oh wow i think that it would be awesome to have wolves in the UK.
Moved to Unlucky 13

Raisil
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Raisil » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:32 am

Introducing wolves into the UK? That's great! After 500 years the environment would have changed though and the wolves habitat wouldn't really be a wolves habitat anymore, but that might change if a few wolves brought to the UK make it a wolf environment again. Yes it's definitely a good idea to bring wolves here in the UK! :D
Every opportunity that you don't take, there is 100% chance of you not getting that choice.
If you do take a shot at an opportunity, you have at least 1 out of a 100 chance of luck. It doesn't mean you will lose.

-Winter
Pup
Pup

Post by -Winter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:52 pm

Interesting. It'll be great to see how this works out. It's fantastic that wolves will be reintroduced to Scotland, though if they were extincted in that area once, the wolves might be again, but who knows.
.....(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸...-Ɯιитɛя...¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
...`¯¨.¸¸´.´.¸)´.¸).....(¸.´ (¸.´ .´ ¸¸.¨¯`.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while
we're here, we should dance"

.....................................................-Anonymous

Icon © Gingerlite

Return to “Wolf Conservation”