What would happen...

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Re: What would happen...

Post by pawnee » Sat May 17, 2008 10:29 pm

good point. someone called the animal shelter once because a kitten was living under their porch. pherhaps if the wolves come out a night, they`ll be less bothered by people. they should have a school for wolves to teach them everything on human management and survival tatics.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Wed May 28, 2008 6:31 pm

There were many different things brought to light with this topic, so I'll try to give you some answers to your comments:

As some have mentioned, each state is responsible for their own wolf population IF they are in a DPS where the wolf is delisted. In other areas where wolves are NOT delisted, the responsiblity for management lies with US Fish andWildlife Service.

Wolves are naturally migratory, in order to find enough food and habitat in order to maintain the pack. That said, in previous times, wolves from the Rockies did probably interbreed with the Mexican wolves. This is something that is still being looked at, say, if wolves were to be re-established into the Southern Rocky mountains-what subspecies to us? Mexican gray wolves or Northwestern gray wolves. There had been NO decision at this time to do so, just something that has been discussed in the early 2000's. Right now though, in areas of their range in Arizona and New Mexico, it has been important to us in the captive breeding community to use only known PURE, Mexican gray wolves. Anything else is not tolerated or used in the recovery project. The breeding between all of the wolves, in captivity and in the wild, is closely monitored and managed. Any hybridization with domestic dogs is also not permitted-especially if it were to know to happen in the wild.

Wolves do kill livestock and in some cases CAN cause significant damage. Some wolves can have their territory right in the middle of livestock calving lots and not do any damage. It varies among the wolves themselves and the other things in their territory.

Wolves are extremely curious animals and are now known to be more tolerant of us than once believed-in MN, we have one pack that dens right in the middle of an artillery training range. They do not just live in the deepest of forests-they live where they think they can survive-near humans or not.

Basically, wolves will survive where wolves are tolerated by humans. The thing we all might want to remember is that not all humans hate wolves, not all ranchers/livestock growers hate wolves; not all humans love wolves...just the way it is.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Wed May 28, 2008 8:20 pm

CLBaileyi wrote: Wolves are extremely curious animals and are now known to be more tolerant of us than once believed-in MN, we have one pack that dens right in the middle of an artillery training range. They do not just live in the deepest of forests-they live where they think they can survive-near humans or not.
now that I find surprising...

I hope none of the wolves have been hit D:

really with artillary barrages going on all the time, you might think it would scare them away. but then again, they might become used to it
icon by Rottenrobbie

WQ Project Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Project Coordinator » Thu May 29, 2008 8:36 am

Here is a link to an interesting article about those wolves that live at Camp Ripley:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteer/ja ... ipley.html
In 1994 soldiers at Camp Ripley started seeing wolves. The arrival of wolves could have restricted troop training on the base, if the training was shown to inhibit the recovery of an endangered species. In 1996 the Department of Military Affairs for Minnesota began funding DNR research of radio-collared wolves on Camp Ripley to determine if military operations harmed the wolves in any way.

Ten years of research has shown that wolves and soldiers accommodate each other just fine on the 53,000-acre military base. Since 1995 Camp Ripley's wolf population has grown from one pack of about six wolves to two packs totaling about 15 wolves.

Tracking of radio-collared wolves revealed that a pack often dens inside an artillery range in early spring, when the guns are quiet. Mothers move the pups to a new location in May, before troops commence training in June.

Once firing begins on the range, one study showed that radio-collared wolves move toward the explosions of shells about 60 percent of the time—perhaps out of curiosity.

"They seem like pretty smart animals," says Col. Richard Weaver, camp commander of Camp Ripley. "They stay out of sight. It doesn't seem like we bother them, and they don't bother us. In fact, we're pretty proud to have them here."

wolflover1
Yearling
Yearling

Post by wolflover1 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:21 pm

I found an article online about wolves possibly coming to Northern California in the future. I can't remember what the website was, though. If I find it, I will post the name of it.
"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice, to deceive!"
-Walter Scott; Marmion

Snakes rock.

I A Series of Unfortunate Events!

Cheeto
Pup
Pup
Location: What does it matter.... I won't be alive much longer......

Post by Cheeto » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:16 pm

i think that humans might possibly want to kill them. But, since every one on this site is a wolf lover, do u honestly think that any of us would allow the mass murder of tons of wolves, just because they have the strength, and power to kill us? I dont think so. But i do wish that there was wolves here where i live, Utah, cuz i absolutely luv 'em!!!!! :D

Return to “Wolf Q&A”