Live Wolf Q&A with a wolf expert!

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

canis007
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Re: Live Wolf Q&A with a wolf expert!

Post by canis007 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Swift Night wrote: I am wondering why do wolves eye colors change from when there a pup ( from blue to different color like yellow , amber etc ) ]
I believe the eye color change is due to increased production of melanin by melanocytes, which are cells in the iris of the eye.

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:36 pm

Alright, guys! Dan unfortunately has a lot of things on his plate right now so won't be able to answer the remaining questions until he gets back from his conference in a couple weeks. If you asked more than one question, sorry, but he only has time to answer one per person. Thanks for understanding.

He wanted me to tell you all that he loved your questions and enjoyed this Q&A session. I'm going to make a list of all the questions that were not yet answered, send them his way, and then either he or I will post them on this topic after his conference and after he has a chance to go through them all.

I hope you all had fun and learned a thing or two to boot! We'll keep working on ways to make this process go a bit more smoothly for next time.
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:38 pm

Thanks for being so patient, everyone! Dan finally had time to finish answering the questions remaining (he answered only one question per person). Here are his responses, and I'll unlock this topic for now so anyone who wants to can comment. I'll change this to a regular post in 7 days. (Moderators, feel free to do so if I don't remember!)
Kovu-Ice-Crete wrote:Would it be possible that if a wolf pack was killed and only the pups lived that the attacking pack would take the pups in or would they just kill the pups since they are from a different pack?
canis007 wrote:It’s possible that an “attacking pack” might adopt orphaned pups, but I think it’s more likely the pups – assuming they’re quite young – would either be killed or – if undetected – starve.
StarPaw019 wrote:Do wolves eat/lick flowers? If so, why? That sounds weird, but I've heard stories about wolves doing eating them before, and we even had a slight discussion about it on here. It's almost always a flower called the Shooting Star, if I recall correctly, and I was wondering if the stories were accurate, and what wolves would gain from it if they did.
canis007 wrote:I’m not aware of any information that wolves eat/lick flowers.
BladeTheWolf00 wrote:ive heard and seen foxes change their fur color acording to season (white in winter brown in summer) and im not sure if thats a fact for wolves or not
canis007 wrote:Wolf coat color does not change seasonally, but it does change with age, i.e. it tends to turn gray/white similar to what aging humans experience.
SolitaryHowl wrote:I'm going to apply for the University of Guelph (A university well known for animal studies in Ontario, Canada.) for Zoology. I've been thinking of specializing into animal behaviour, but I am unsure what exactly that entails. When I specialize, can I just work with one type of animal and study their behaviour? Or do I have to study a wide variety of animals on a certain behaviour? (ie: food aggression or mating rituals/habits) And what courses would I have to take in university so I will have a solid background? I'm thinking of majoring in Zoology, but what would be your recommendation to minor in? Ecology?
canis007 wrote:University of Guelph is a great school with a strong graduate program in animal behavior and ecology. As a graduate student, both scenarios you describe are viable options. However, this is something you will decide in consultation with your graduate advisor, who is a faculty member in the department to which you apply. If you’re interested in a research career in ecology/behavior, I recommend taking courses in mathematics (e.g., probability, calculus) and statistics.
AWolfSpirit wrote:How long does it take for a female/male wolf to form a bond with the oposite sex wolf, as in becoming mates? Seeing as most wolves that don't know each other would fight, is there just something about some wolves that refrain them from fighting?
canis007 wrote:I’m not aware of any data on this, but from my experience with the Yellowstone wolf population, I’d say that a bond could be established within a day if the circumstances are right, e.g., no interference from other wolves.
Rain_Swift-River wrote:Could they import wolves in places like Australia for zoos without affecting wolves too much?
canis007 wrote:Not sure I understand your question.
orangeonfire wrote:Could you give a brief description of what it's like to be a wolf biologist? Perhaps more specifically, how much of your work hours are put into fieldwork, teaching, document writing, and the such?
canis007 wrote:50% office work, 40% teaching, 10% field work
Larkarl wrote:Are coyotes a real threat to wolf pups? And if so, what are the main reasons that the coyotes try to go after them?
canis007 wrote:Coyotes will kill wolf pups if the opportunity presents itself.
jaguartail wrote:What sort of animals enjoy eating adult wolves?
canis007 wrote:None that I’m aware of. But I have seen ravens & magpies scavenge wolf carcasses.

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

VictoryAlpha

Post by VictoryAlpha » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:29 am

Ahh thank you Dr. Dan :) I do have a question, does rain and wind affect a wolf when hunting? That question has been bugging me forever :)

~Shadow

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:40 am

Sorry, but he won't be answering any more wolf questions on this topic. You can either wait to ask your question at the next Live Wolf Q&A (if it fits with the topic of that Q&A), or you can look for your answer in the rest of this forum.

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:53 pm

Changing this topic to a regular post. You may still comment, but again, please don't ask new questions.

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:57 pm

Hmm:Double posting, are we? :lol:

Anyways, I'm glad dave got to answering the remaining questions, and hopefully the next Q&A will have less delays.

Myk

Post by Myk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:18 am

canis007 wrote:
VNightV wrote: Is It Possible for a Dominant To Have a Pair, but Not the other Dominant?
Members of a breeding pair typically mate with only each other, but in packs where one member of the pair is unrelated to another adult in the pack, then it's not unusual for the two to also mate.
Thanks for answering my Question!! :D
MYK

all i do is bean
~
ONCE FRAGMENTED, NOW JOINED
~
avvie : strong

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:07 am

Whoo~

Cana, be sure to send our love to Dan again. He was awesome!
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Myk

Post by Myk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:14 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:Whoo~

Yes Please! :D <3
MYK

all i do is bean
~
ONCE FRAGMENTED, NOW JOINED
~
avvie : strong

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:32 pm

VNightV wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote:Whoo~

Yes Please! :D <3
You know, VNightV, it would be great to see if you could add some more into your posts rather than two words. So it can contribute to the conversation more (less than three words can be considered spam as well), thanks ^^

Anywho, glad to see that Dan could answer the remaining questions! He did a great job with that, its cool to get offical answers from a wolf expert :3
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

AMEGA
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by AMEGA » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:50 pm

i am so happy to actually ask this(for some strange reason)
when wolves have a pack,are the pups the other members?or is it it just other adult wolves...
thnx! ;)
AMEGA single female

-Ratchet
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by -Ratchet » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:05 pm

WQ Coordinator wrote:Changing this topic to a regular post. You may still comment, but again, please don't ask new questions.
AMEGA wrote:i am so happy to actually ask this(for some strange reason)
when wolves have a pack,are the pups the other members?or is it it just other adult wolves...
thnx! ;)

Sorry AMEGA but your not aloud to ask questions any more, but I'm sure your question would be answered on the next Live Wolf Q&A or in Wolf Q&A;

http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewforum.php?f=6
Gone.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Seeing as this has already been bumped, it will probably only continue to be bumped up further and have questions asked when they should no longer be asked on this thread. I'll lock this - if Cana or another team member wishes for this to be unlocked, they may unlock it.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Return to “Wolf Q&A”