Live Wolf Q&A with a wolf expert!

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Re: Live Wolf Q&A with a wolf expert!

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:07 pm

(Sorry to be a nag, but my question was never answered):
SolitaryHowl wrote:Hi Dan and welcome to the forums! I know you've heard this before, but thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

I have a question in relation to Zoology and wolves:

I'm going to apply for the University of Guelph (A university well known for animal studies in Ontario, Canada.) for Zoology. I've been thinking of specializing into animal behaviour, but I am unsure what exactly that entails. When I specialize, can I just work with one type of animal and study their behaviour? Or do I have to study a wide variety of animals on a certain behaviour? (ie: food aggression or mating rituals/habits)

And what courses would I have to take in university so I will have a solid background? I'm thinking of majoring in Zoology, but what would be your recommendation to minor in? Ecology?
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

canis007
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by canis007 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:07 pm

VNightV wrote: Is It Possible for a Dominant To Have a Pair, but Not the other Dominant?
Members of a breeding pair typically mate with only each other, but in packs where one member of the pair is unrelated to another adult in the pack, then it's not unusual for the two to also mate.

-x- Silvie -x-
Former WQ Moderator

Post by -x- Silvie -x- » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:08 pm

Well, thanks for answering so many of our questions, Dan! I also can't wait for news on the next Wolf Q&A. ^^
Here's the question I picked out of my list to include:

-What are some ways for most or all of the wolves in a pack to get killed?
This has seemed to prove itself common in many fantasies; packs being killed altogether. Though, I would like to know if this is commonly possible, and if so, some ways for such a thing to happen, as it is rather interesting.
_______________Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ S I L V I E Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
___________-___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
_______________--BladeTheWolf00's Sister
______________________-_~-*-~
__________________"Patience is a virtue,
_________________-_love is a value."
_____________sig © me /\ av © Koa (Thanks!)
___________________-_previously BooboosPiggy

AWolfSpirit
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by AWolfSpirit » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:09 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:(Sorry to be a nag, but my question was never answered):
SolitaryHowl wrote:Hi Dan and welcome to the forums! I know you've heard this before, but thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

I have a question in relation to Zoology and wolves:

I'm going to apply for the University of Guelph (A university well known for animal studies in Ontario, Canada.) for Zoology. I've been thinking of specializing into animal behaviour, but I am unsure what exactly that entails. When I specialize, can I just work with one type of animal and study their behaviour? Or do I have to study a wide variety of animals on a certain behaviour? (ie: food aggression or mating rituals/habits)

And what courses would I have to take in university so I will have a solid background? I'm thinking of majoring in Zoology, but what would be your recommendation to minor in? Ecology?
Dr. McNulty is going in order of the questions, he'll get to yours. Mine was right after yours, so it wasn't skipped.

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:11 pm

Please read my above post- because of time constraints, Dr. MacNulty will not answer more than one question per person, so please don't post them on this topic. The questions have been really excellent, and it's been really interesting to think about all these things, but he does need to go home to his family at some point! Again, we're hoping we'll do this more frequently, so don't worry if you don't have all your questions answered.
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

-Ratchet
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by -Ratchet » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:12 pm

Aw that is to bad, but at least he got to answer my question, which I am very happy about!

You did fantastic tonight Dr.Dan! And I thank you so much for coming on WolfQuest tonight, and for answering our questions, this may not seem like it is very big, but getting my question answered by a real wolf biologist, that meant like SO much to me! And I shall treasure it :) I thank you again, and you did a great job tonight, I hope you may come on WolfQuest again some time to answer more questions! Good luck :)

-Coventina
Gone.

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:15 pm

And I must now return to my offline life, goodbye everyone, I'll look at this thread later for the answer to the question I asked.

-x- Silvie -x-
Former WQ Moderator

Post by -x- Silvie -x- » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:16 pm

I must say thank you as well, it's been really fun and it was terrific of you to answer most of our questions. We really appreciate it, and we hope we can do something similar not too far in the future. ^^
Also, I'm sorry Cana, I was thinking that you meant only one more question from here on out. Poor understanding on my part.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:17 pm

Oh, okay.

Well; that was my only question, so it is hardly fair that lots of people got to ask more than 1 question and I only asked one.

But, like you said Cana, he does need to go home to his family at some point!
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:19 pm

We may have to lock this topic a bit early since we're already pretty backed up with questions. Thanks to those of you who've been patient; we know you've waited a while to have your question answered. And thanks to everyone for participating... this has been great! I'll lock this topic as soon as I'm done posting this, but Dr. MacNulty will still answer as many questions as he can before he has to leave.

(And anyone who asked more than one question will only have one question answered.)
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

canis007
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by canis007 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:20 pm

Zethra wrote: When a wolf pack wakes up from sleep, do they all wake up around the same time? If so, what if one where to not wake up at the same time as another, would they assume it to be dead?
Great question. It's not unusual for wolves to wake up at different times, and when I've seen this happen in Yellowstone I've never had the impression that the earlier risers assume the late birds are dead, but of course it's impossible to know for sure. I think if a wolf were to die for some reason, say because of disease or an injury, the other wolves would catch on pretty quick once the pack started moving off and the dead wolf failed to follow. On the other hand, it's also not uncommon for wolves, often younger ones, to remain asleep as the rest of the pack travels off. When that happens, the stranded wolf will find it's pack by scent or by howling.

-x- Silvie -x-
Former WQ Moderator

Post by -x- Silvie -x- » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Okay, Cana. Good luck with answering the final questions and have a safe trip back, Dan. ;]

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Thank you very much for answering my question Dan! It really means a lot to me that you'd take your time to answer my question and everyone else's, so thank you! ^^
I look forward to seeing the answers to the other questions later on. =3
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Wolf Runner1
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Currently? Probably either: Pluto, or Saturn. Feel free to check both places.

Post by Wolf Runner1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:23 pm

Ahh, well, we're sorry to see you go Dr. McNulty! I hope you've had some fun here! Thanks for all the great answers! I means a lot to me as well that you answered my question. =) Have a great night!

~Wolf Runner1
Profile pic via the lovely NatureGirl

-x- Silvie -x-
Former WQ Moderator

Post by -x- Silvie -x- » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:25 pm

Yep, thanks for everything, and have a safe trip back home. And like Cana said, we had a great time, and we hope to have another fairly soon! ^^