Would a wolf help a human?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

jbear1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Would a wolf help a human?

Post by jbear1 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:17 pm

I am editing a story for someone and they asked if a wolf would ever help a human in some way. So... Would they? I'm sorry if this question has already been asked, feel free to lock it if it has. Also, I don't have any information on how the wolf would help the human, I was just asked it they ever would. :/
.................. - s υ η -
........A Force To Be Reckoned With

|| urora яiverclan || вeta female ||
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32714

SolitaryPride
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Re: Would a wolf help a human?

Post by SolitaryPride » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:09 pm

I don't think so. Wolves tend to stay away from people. Unless they get used to humans by seeing them a lot, then humans don't scare them anymore, witch could end in a wolf attacking a human.
So no, wolves would not help a human, because they probably wouldn't even know the term to help a human, they see weakness, they would most likely take advanage of that.

Just in case if this story is on WQ

Rules for User Writing:

What is allowed:

•Human appearance from a wolf’s perspective, as a minimal background role

What isn't allowed:

•Negative or unrealistic human contact (including hunters)
------------__/\
-------__/------\
------\___------\
---------- /------\
---------/--------\
---------\--------/
----------/-------\
------/\-/---------\
-----/--\'\__--__/
-----\______/
~Matue
African Stars Pack
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

Originally: Dacoda
Avvie: Koa

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:23 pm

No, wolves would not "help" a human. Even captive-born wolves that have been handraised and socialized by people and very intensively trained would not "help" humans or protect them in dangerous situations, etc, let alone a wild wolf. Wild wolves, unless they have been habituated, show fear and avoidance towards people. And habituated wolves are just plain dangerous; it may seem like that they get "comfortable" with humans and want to interact with them when in fact human interference and attempts to "tame" wild wolves only increases the wolves to become fearless and bold, resulting in attacks on humans.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

jbear1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by jbear1 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:01 am

Thank you for helping me! ^-^ I will be sure to let my author know of this answer.
.................. - s υ η -
........A Force To Be Reckoned With

|| urora яiverclan || вeta female ||
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32714

-Amaris-
Name: Amar

Post by -Amaris- » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:29 am

Maybe you could take a look on youtube under the title White Fang, it's a story about someone who keeps an injured wolf but still is a bit scared of him. You should watch the movie to know it better :wink:
Been around on the forum as
xdmsx95rapresentineAmaris
currently going as deamar on other platforms

Tumblr | Steam | Dragon's Den

Icon © {AzureHowlShilach}

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:34 am

rapresentine wrote:Maybe you could take a look on youtube under the title White Fang, it's a story about someone who keeps an injured wolf but still is a bit scared of him. You should watch the movie to know it better :wink:
White Fang was a wolfdog, wasn't he? Anyway, movies interpret reality in a different way. In real life, even if someone cared for an injured wolf, the wolf would not express gratitude or become attached to the human or anything "fantastical" like that.

-Amaris-
Name: Amar

Post by -Amaris- » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:41 am

Blightwolf wrote:
rapresentine wrote:Maybe you could take a look on youtube under the title White Fang, it's a story about someone who keeps an injured wolf but still is a bit scared of him. You should watch the movie to know it better :wink:
White Fang was a wolfdog, wasn't he? Anyway, movies interpret reality in a different way. In real life, even if someone cared for an injured wolf, the wolf would not express gratitude or become attached to the human or anything "fantastical" like that.
Ok, that's right, but this film is based on a real life story. However, I think jbear1 knows what to tell to the author now. (Without my saying about this film)
Been around on the forum as
xdmsx95rapresentineAmaris
currently going as deamar on other platforms

Tumblr | Steam | Dragon's Den

Icon © {AzureHowlShilach}

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:57 am

Even if it was based on a true story, films still tend to humanize animals and the portrayals of the actual course of events has often been modified and interlaced with unrealistic indications about the amazing friendship between a young man and a wild wolf he has rescued, etc. Wild animals can "imprint" on people and become "tamed" or habituated but in a wolf's case, they will only lose their fear for humans and begin to act bolder, fearless and eventually, aggressive.

Stuff that might happen in movies like White Fang or Call of the Wild, or wolf/wolf hybrid movies similar to them, like getting rescued from a grizzly bear attack by a brave wolf trying to defend you, is completely unrealistic and made up for the sake of entertainment. Even captive-born wolves do not orient to people in that kind of fashion; they might show trust and some forms of affection, but wolves, wild or captive, never fully rely onto people, unlike domestic dogs. Dogs might attempt "heroic" acts to save their owners because they feel loyal; wolves are wild animals and do not express "loyalty" towards humans, regardless whether you saved the wolf from death and nurtured it back to health or had socialized and trained it ever since it was a pup.

scar face
Pup
Pup

Post by scar face » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:12 pm

wolves will not help people they hate people and don't like to be seen out in the open so they really won't.
s'up

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:18 pm

Hello jbear1,
jbear1 wrote:Thank you for helping me! ^-^ I will be sure to let my author know of this answer.
I take that meaning this question has been answered, thus I'll be locking this if thats alright =) Thanks to everyone who posted a reply to answer the question!

-Thread Locked-
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu