Will a wolf kill its siblings to get a mate?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Amaroqwolf
Pup
Pup

Will a wolf kill its siblings to get a mate?

Post by Amaroqwolf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:19 am

Will they kill their siblings to find a mate?

How far will wolves go to get a mate?

Amaroqwolf
I am ☾Amaroq☽,
The Alpha Male of the great ☼Starlight Pack☼.
I am loyal to my family and my packmates,
I am strong and will fight to the death to defend my home and territory,
Don’t forget that…

Jayness
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Will a wolf kill its siblings to get a mate?

Post by Jayness » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:32 am

I don't think so, but they might.
..................αsριηε
......ωσℓfqυεsт cσммυηιтy мεмвεя

..Why run if you're already skinny?

Previously Aspine
──────────────────────────────

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:35 pm

No. It would be unnatural and unorthodox. Wolves don't typically kill each other, it is extremely rare in packs formed by family units, though common in very large packs made up by several unrelated individuals. In large packs, social competition and anxiety experienced during the breeding season are extremely high which leads to in-pack conflicts and eventually interpack killings (a very good example of this type of occurrence would be the formerly famous Druid Peak wolf pack of Yellowstone).

Siblings, at the right age, might disperse in duos or groups, but they will split up at some point. Dispersion is a way to prevent inbreeding; it would be brainless for siblings to compete for the same possible companion. Dispersed siblings go their own ways to form packs of their own, they usually leave each other's company before they come across any other dispersed wolves that could be their possible mates.

And as for how far wolves would go to find/get a mate... Sometimes they found a suitable partner rather quickly after their initial dispersion and sometimes it can take even up to 3 or 4 years to find a companion and establish a pack and produce offspring of their own. It is a common misconception that wolves (specifically male wolves) fight to death in brutal battles against each other for the attention of females. This is not true; wolves are not like deer stags who joust with their antlers to receive the opportunity to breed with females. Wolves typically find their mates through dispersion from their birth packs. They meet another wolf that is not related to them and raises a family together with this wolf.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

scar face
Pup
Pup

Post by scar face » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:22 pm

they will kill each other if their siblings try to get too close to one female and then they will fight or the other sibling would kick out their sibling., it is strange to see it happen it was very interesting when i saw that happen.
s'up

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:54 pm

scar face wrote:they will kill each other if their siblings try to get too close to one female and then they will fight or the other sibling would kick out their sibling., it is strange to see it happen it was very interesting when i saw that happen.
That's wrong - please read what Blightwolf said.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011