will wolves kill their own mate?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

scar face
Pup
Pup

will wolves kill their own mate?

Post by scar face » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:24 pm

i have heard some times the male will kill their mates then eat the pups then go find another meal. it is sick.
s'up

Zeyote
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: will wolves kill their own mate?

Post by Zeyote » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:36 pm

I don't know if that male wolves do it in general however the pack works together.

The alpha male and the other members of the wolf family take care of the mother while she is confined to the den nursing
the pups. They bring her food and stay by the den when she needs to venture outside to drink water. If there are no other wolves in the pack except the breeding pair, a mother wolf would have a very difficult time raising the pups alone without the help of her mate. When the pups emerge from the den, the father and the older siblings help to raise the pups. They play with them and bring them food and bones and pieces of hide to play with. Play is important. It increases strength and reinforces survival behavior.

Wolves maintain a system of order based on dominance and they use a system of Wolf Love communication that promotes that order. Establishing dominance can be a matter of life and death, but dominance order is typically resolved without a fatal fight. That would just be too costly to the pack so wolves rarely inflict grave injury to establish or assert dominance within the pack. Dominance order is established early in the life of a wolf. After some serious fighting among littermates dominance can be established as young as 13 days old. Basically the fighting continues until dominance is resolved and accepted. Then the fighting ends and the dominance hierarchy establishes the individual roles within the pack. This maintains harmony within the pack.

They will defend their territories, often fiercely when food is scarce. They may harass and/or kill other wolves that trespass. This is not because wolves are mean, but because they have to defend their food supply, especially if is limited. Wolves avoid unnecessary conflict, however. Energy is conserved for the hard job of hunting for themselves and for the pups. Sometimes they do. It may be a younger wolf challenging an older alpha. Sometimes wolves will drive a member of their own pack out. This may be competition as well. Generally, however, a wolf pack is a highly cooperative family unit with a hierarchy that is reinforced constantly.

Source by Google and Other sites.

Anakai
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Anakai » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:57 pm

So no, they do not.
Anakai

Member of the Black Bloods
Fear us

Special Black Bloods Icon by Stray Fang

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:26 pm

Like the others have said; wolves do not kill their mates. They mate for life.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:26 am

Hello scar face,

Since I believe that this question has been answered enough, I'll be locking this. Thanks for helping everyone!

-Thread Locked-
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

Return to “Wolf Q&A”