Do wolves always disperse alone?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Artemis1313
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Do wolves always disperse alone?

Post by Artemis1313 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:00 pm

If two un-related subordinate wolves in a pack express interest in each other, would they disperse together to find a territory, or do wolves always disperse alone?

Catarinab

Re: Do wolves always disperse alone?

Post by Catarinab » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:02 pm

Sometimes wolves disperse in pairs. Usually a few time after they go alone and join to another pack or find a mate, but if they show interest in each other as you said, then they can make a pack.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:16 am

As Catarinab said, wolves can disperse in pairs, like brothers and sister, or other family members. Most of the time, they disperse by themselves but its also common to find them in pairs.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:32 am

Adding something to Catarinab's and Alpha Female's posts: Wolves' tendency is to disperse alone but it is not uncommon if they also disperse in pairs (duos) or groups - it is unlikely, however, that these associations would stay together forever, and therefore at some point dispersals will choose their separate ways and split up.

Dispersion is a way to prevent inbreeding and incest, so if a brother and a sister disperse together, for example, they would probably leave the initial pack territory together but eventually choose different paths after a considerable length of time.

FYI: You could have found a fast, direct answer for this question, if you had just looked at the Wolf Q&A FAQ. This question is found and answered there.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

TheGreatAbyss
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by TheGreatAbyss » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:16 pm

Like everyone else has said, wolves will occasionally disperse with siblings. As for there being an unrelated wolf into the pack, that would be highly unlikely. Most wolf packs wouldn't accept lone wolves into their pack as the dominate might see the wolf as a threat to try and become the dominate male or female. So I guess that if there is a chance a unrelated wolf gets into a pack and another wolf finds it attractive, they may disperse depending on how much they consider each other family.
Last edited by TheGreatAbyss on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☯☣✮☯☣✮☯☣✮☯☣✮☯☣✮☯☣✮☯☣✮☯☣✮☯☣✮☯☣✮☯☣✮
.............................I fight for the Users
.......................................❦❦❦
............................Happy Horn Player
................................."End ofLine."
.....................................Icon©Me

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:53 pm

TheGreatAbyss wrote:Like everyone else has said, wolves will occasionally disperse with siblings. As for there being an unrelated wolf into the pack, that would be highly unlikely. Most wolf packs wouldn't accept lone wolves into their pack as the alpha might see the wolf as a threat to try and become the dominate male or female. So I guess that if there is a chance a unrelated wolf gets into a pack and another wolf finds it attractive, they may disperse depending on how much they consider each other family.
Varying from the original subject, but I want to clarify something: "Alpha" is an outdated term and does not properly apply to describe the hierarchy of a wolf pack. The terms "dominant wolf/dominant pair"", however, or "breeding pair", are more suitable and appropriate.

It has been documented that unrelated wolves attempting to infiltrate into packs have a more higher chance getting accepted if they display submissive behavior towards the dominant wolves rather than portraying themselves as challengers or contenders to replace the currently dominant wolf or wolves and fulfill their positions as the new dominants. These type of occurrences (subordinate wolves "overthrowing" the dominant ones) are highly unlikely to take place in wild wolf packs and are more frequently witnessed among captive wolf packs, because in captivity, the hierarchy of wolves is slightly different (things that would be unnatural and rare for wild wolves, such as transitions of dominance and changes of "leadership", are much more actively observed in captive wolves - in the wild, the opportunity for abnormalities to take place within the hierarchy are extremely minimal, if not completely nonexistent).
Last edited by Blightwolf on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheGreatAbyss
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by TheGreatAbyss » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:17 pm

Blightwolf wrote:
TheGreatAbyss wrote:Like everyone else has said, wolves will occasionally disperse with siblings. As for there being an unrelated wolf into the pack, that would be highly unlikely. Most wolf packs wouldn't accept lone wolves into their pack as the alpha might see the wolf as a threat to try and become the dominate male or female. So I guess that if there is a chance a unrelated wolf gets into a pack and another wolf finds it attractive, they may disperse depending on how much they consider each other family.
Varying from the original subject, but I want to clarify something: "Alpha" is an outdated term and does not properly apply to describe the hierarchy of a wolf pack. The terms "dominant wolf/dominant pair"", however, or "breeding pair", are more suitable and appropriate.
Thanks for correcting me. It's hard for me to get used to changing the names of things after using it for so long. I'll fix that right now.

So basically the answer to the question comes down to weather or not the subordinate wolf showed the proper behavior to get in the pack in the first place, but leaves the main question unanswered: If the unrelated subordinate wolf gets into the pack, will another subordinate wolf in the pack become attracted to the unrelated wolf will they disperse together to start a new pack?
.............................I fight for the Users
............................Happy Horn Player
................................."End ofLine."
.....................................Icon©Me

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:18 am

TheGreatAbyss wrote:
Blightwolf wrote:
Thanks for correcting me. It's hard for me to get used to changing the names of things after using it for so long. I'll fix that right now.

So basically the answer to the question comes down to weather or not the subordinate wolf showed the proper behavior to get in the pack in the first place, but leaves the main question unanswered: If the unrelated subordinate wolf gets into the pack, will another subordinate wolf in the pack become attracted to the unrelated wolf will they disperse together to start a new pack?
It's plausible, but very unlikely, because the dominant wolves harass and cause stress for other adult females during the mating season in order to prevent them from entering heat and mating with another member of the pack. Dominant wolves are the ones which have the privilege to reproduce in packs, the same chance is rarely granted for the subordinate wolves - it's not impossible, however, for a subordinate female to mate with a subordinate male (both being unrelated to each other) if the dominant pair is not successful enough in harassing the female to make it "skip" its natural cycle. But because dominant wolves sometimes pose a great physical threat to subordinate females, the opportunity for non-dominant females to become pregnant are quite rare.

SamsprideX
Pup
Pup

Post by SamsprideX » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:20 pm

It, as you said, usually depends on if they show interest in each other. Other wise i think they would disperse on their own...
Proud Member of Las cuatro alianzas
Muggle :)
~Shade

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:57 am

SamsprideX wrote:It, as you said, usually depends on if they show interest in each other. Other wise i think they would disperse on their own...
Are you referring to a dispersal meeting another, unrelated dispersal along the way, or family members of the same age ready to disperse together?

If there are several offspring on the verge of dispersion, they probably leave the initial pack area together. Sometimes, dispersals leave by themselves, one by one, disperse in small sibling-made packs, or follow each other's scent trails for awhile and then set out on a route of their own.

If an already dispersed dispersal wolf comes across another, unrelated dispersal of approximately the same age, they might "team up" for a period of time, especially if they are the same gender. There are some documented cases where two males or two females travel together. And it isn't always certain that even if a female dispersal meets a male dispersal that they would instantly become attracted and interested in each other. When wolves establish a relationship with another wolf, it usually takes a full year of courtship, finding a proper territory and denning area, etc, etc, before they become "official" partners and produce their first litter of offspring. Finding a mate does not happen automatically, and some wolves keep searching for a potential partner even for 3 or 4 years of their lives.

scar face
Pup
Pup

Post by scar face » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:27 pm

some times yes and mostly no.
s'up

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Hello Artemis1313,

Since I believe that your question has been answered with a lot of information which should be able to help out. I shall now lock this down, ok? Thanks, and thanks to those who helped with the question!

-Thread Locked-
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

Return to “Wolf Q&A”