Could a Female and her pup join another wolf pack?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

jupiterdog
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Could a Female and her pup join another wolf pack?

Post by jupiterdog » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:20 pm

Could a female wolf and her pup join a wolf pack?
Avatar By Koa! Thank you so much!

My birthday is today! :D

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Could a Female and her pup join another wolf pack?

Post by Canidae » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:22 pm

Wolf packs will generally only care for pups that were born within their own pack, and it's also unusual for a dispersal wolf to join another wolf pack. The chances of both a lone wolf and her pup being accepted into a wolf pack are slim to none.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Thu May 13, 2010 3:58 pm

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Fri May 14, 2010 12:43 am

Exceptions are always possible although rare. Cani already explained the basic structure of a wolf pack and its system... Generally, the answer is no. An unrelated female and her offspring would cause disruptions in the pack. It might escalate s e x u a l and genetic competition and like Cani said, wolves only tend to care for their own pups, not the unrelated offspring of another lone wolf.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Razorfang
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Razorfang » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:01 am

Most likely, the pup and the female will be driven off, or killed. After all, they are "competitors", if not "enemy's" of the involving pack of wolves.

Overcast

Post by Overcast » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:33 am

So it is unlikely that a wolf pack would surrogate an abandoned pup from another pack? What if the pup was not weaned off its original mother yet? Is it still unlikely?

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:44 am

Blightwolf wrote:Exceptions are always possible although rare. Cani already explained the basic structure of a wolf pack and its system... Generally, the answer is no. An unrelated female and her offspring would cause disruptions in the pack. It might escalate s e x u a l and genetic competition and like Cani said, wolves only tend to care for their own pups, not the unrelated offspring of another lone wolf.
I would like to add something based on what I wrote on my previous post (quoted above): If an unrelated rogue female wolf and her pup would encroach the territory of a wolf pack, the other wolves - wolves being highly territorial animals in general - would most likely drive off this female and kill her offspring, or both. Lone wolves which display submission towards the dominant wolves have a higher chance getting accepted into a pack, but as stated in the older post I made, an unrelated subordinate female would cause hormonal rivalry, and by bringing her own pup into a strange pack, also pose a "genetic threat" to the offspring of the original breeding pair and their bloodline.

The answer for this question is still "no", in my opinion. At least, it is highly unlikely.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Overcast

Post by Overcast » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:46 am

OK, thanks for the speedy reply Blightwolf! I was asking for the purpose of my story. Looks like I will have to tweak a few details! Again, thanks for the information!

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:56 am

Hello,

Since both of the questions asked have been answered enough, I'll be locking this ^^ Thanks to those who helped out!

-Thread Locked-

EDIT: Adding a quick comment from CLBaileyi:
An adult and pup being accepted into a strange pack. As others have said, it is unusual, but it does happen. I think the thing to remember is that, especially in cases where one of the breeding pair is missing (killed, died, etc) then a pack will often allow another adult and that animal's offspring to join into the new pack. This has happened several times in the Mexican wolf program, and others as well.
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu