Golden Eagle vs Wolf???

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

WolvesHorses
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Golden Eagle vs Wolf???

Post by WolvesHorses » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:31 am

I hear that in Mongolia and other places that do falconry, a golden eagle (or sometimes a pair) can take down a wolf. Is this true, or even possible? Coyotes and deer, sure, but a wolf?
I'm more active now, as the WQ forums used to be amazingly slow for me.

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Golden Eagle vs Wolf???

Post by Songdog » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:21 am

Golden Eagles are very large birds (with a wingspan of 7 feet), that would normally have no real reason to attack a wolf. In certain parts of the world, people train eagles to kill wolves as a bloodsport; it is often viewed as animal cruelty. The video I have seen of these acts were done with small wolves that were raised in captivity and appeared timid. Why the eagle did attack the wolf, the humans were the ones who killed it by beating it to death.

Wolves vary in size depending on where they live, so it is not to say that a Golden Eagle couldn't attack or kill an adult wolf if it had the motive to. But aside from perhaps defending its young, there really would be no reason for the eagles to attack full grown wolves. Wolves do not offer much of a food source, as they are hunters; the further up the food chain you move, the less energy value is in each animal.
Golden eagle predominant prey is leporids (hares and rabbits) and sciurids (ground squirrels, prairie dogs & marmots), the two groups normally comprising 50-94% of the diet of nesting eagles. Additional mammals regularly taken include mice, martens, foxes, young deer and mountain goats. The secondary important prey group for eagles are other birds. Various gallinaceous birds (largely phasianids, ptarmigans and grouse) are the most significant avian prey. However, virtually any bird, from a jay to a swan, is potential prey. During winter months when prey is scarce, Golden Eagles scavenge on carrion to supplement their diet. Sometimes when no carrion is available golden eagles will hunt down large prey, such as goat-antelopes and caribou.

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:45 am

It is true about the use of golden eagles for falconry and the taking of wolves. Wolves are at a stable population in Mongolia, and a large female golden can take such an animal. Golden eagles are the most powerful we have in North America, and one of the most powerful of all eagles (harpy eagles take primates in South America, along with sloths and are also quite a force to be dealt with only by those who have alot of eagle experience). Golden eagles are known to take reindeer, elk calves, pronghorn fawns, and have killed condors in the Grand Canyon.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:55 am

CLBaileyi wrote:It is true about the use of golden eagles for falconry and the taking of wolves. Wolves are at a stable population in Mongolia, and a large female golden can take such an animal. Golden eagles are the most powerful we have in North America, and one of the most powerful of all eagles (harpy eagles take primates in South America, along with sloths and are also quite a force to be dealt with only by those who have alot of eagle experience). Golden eagles are known to take reindeer, elk calves, pronghorn fawns, an
d have killed condors in the Grand Canyon.
Woah, that's amazing! I never thought eagles could grow that big, but now I know. Thanks Bailey.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Kanoa
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Kanoa » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:58 am

Yeah, i once saw a video of a single eagle taking down a fully-grown stag!

shenzie
Yearling
Yearling

Post by shenzie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:58 pm

Sadly people do send Golden Eagles( picture http://marciabonta.files.wordpress.com/ ... -trish.jpg) to kill/injure wolves. Eagles are very big. Golden Eagles can have a wingspan of almost 7-8 feet! So it is possible for a ZGolden Eagle to kill a wolf.If you wat proof look on YouTube.com that should give the information. I hope I helped!:)

~~Shenzie~~

A very proud member of UF. You can find them here
WQ topic: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... &start=285
Site/Blog: http://www.undinefallswolves.com/
Join Now
My wolf name is Jade but some know me as Winter

scar face
Pup
Pup

Post by scar face » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:32 pm

golden eagles are able to kill and eat a wolf they are able to break a bone like a thick skull to a deer or a piece of bone in a persons back by pecking it once or twice they are able to pick up a small moose too so yes golden eagles can kill wolves.
s'up

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:36 pm

scar face, please do not bump threads such as these as this was made quite a while ago, ok? Thanks!

Though since this has been answered anyway, I will lock this down. Thank you! [:

-Thread Locked-
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

Return to “Wolf Q&A”