What biomes do wolves live in?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Sky Eclipse
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Location: Soaring across the skies on my epic whale. Wanna come...? o.0

What biomes do wolves live in?

Post by Sky Eclipse » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:42 pm

I was going to start typing a story on User Writings, but before I do, i was wondering and i just wanted to make sure.

What types of biomes do wolves live in? And, do they live in the tundra?

Just making sure. Hope someone can help me out.

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Re: What biomes do wolves live in?

Post by Canidae » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:50 pm

Wolves are capable of living in many different biomes. They can live in deserts, deciduous forests and coniferous forests, and they can also live in the taiga and in the tundra.

Since wolves were once the most widespread mammal on the planet, it makes sense that they are able to live in many different biomes. They're extremely adaptable animals.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

Sky Eclipse
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Location: Soaring across the skies on my epic whale. Wanna come...? o.0

Post by Sky Eclipse » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:52 pm

Wow, thanks a lot! I knew wolves used to have a pretty high population, but i didn't know they could live in so many different biomes... thanks!

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:30 pm

The only biome I believe wolves don't live in is the Antarctic (south). Not to be confused with the Arctic(north)

Wolves live on every content except Antarctica (thus the aforementioned) I'm not sure if wolves live in the deep south of South America, although I do know they live in Central South America (what is left of the Mexican Wolf). The Maned Wolf is not a wolf at all; although in the canid family, it is closer to a fox than it is to a wolf. In Africa, there is still the very rare Egyptian Wolf, as far as they know. Africa also has the Ethiopian Wolf, although I'm not sure if this is technically a wolf, as that would open the discussion of "what is a wolf". It is in genus Canis, but species simensis, thus it is not a Grey Wolf subspecies, such as the Arctic and Mexican wolves. Canis is the genus of wolves, dogs, jackals, and coyotes. If you were to narrow it down to calling wolves just those of genus Canis, species Lupus and the subspecies therein, the Red Wolf would not be a wolf. So there you have a conundrum.

Because dogs are a subspecies of wolves, wolves even live in our houses. If you want to be technical, that is.

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:40 pm

Wolves are known to live in forests and prairies, tundra, barren ground, mountains, deserts and swamps. The only really distinct biome I can think of that true wolves don't live are in true rainforests, such as the Amazon or other rainforests in southeast Asia. Other canids certainly do use such habitats.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

Return to “Wolf Q&A”