Coyote Bashing: Instinct or choice?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Coyote Bashing: Instinct or choice?

Post by pawnee » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:54 pm

Do you think wolves choose to kill coyotes or just do it because they choose to? Yellowstone wolves tend to hate coyotes, and some even made a sport out of it like the Druids did in the days of Wolf 41. But the Algonquin park wolves have and do breed with coyotes and join coyote packs. Its intresting to note that the red wolf began to breed with coyotes in its last years before it became extinct in the wild, pherhaps wolves only breed with other canines when theres no other wolf to hang around? But then agian pherhaps its taught from generation to generation to either bite or tolerate coyotes?
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

wolf2010
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Coyote Bashing: Instinct or choice?

Post by wolf2010 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:21 pm

Wolves probably kill coyotes when they try to eat an animal the wolves killed. Coyotes also eat other prey wolves eat and may even try a wolf pup if starving enough. Wolves probably just kill them because they are a nuisance. As for why they sometimes breed with them, like you said, its probably because the wolves couldnt find any other wolf that wasnt in their family (wolves rarely breed within their own families).
Live free.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:15 pm

makes sense, but then how come algonquin wolves are so prone to interact with coyotes despite that there are other wolves around? I like to think that, like hunting, packs teach their young what to do and not to do, obviously if wolves kill strange wolves/ coyotes for no reason, the pups might do the same and teach their young to do it too.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Vida » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:22 am

Hmmmm. I always thought they killed coyotes if they were starving, or a coyote kept stealing their food or something like that. I don't think they would actually kill a coyote for fun, would they?

I'd agree with wolf2010 on the breeding bit. They probably bred with coyotes as a last resort when they couldn't find any other wolves.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:06 pm

Generally speaking, when wolves and coyotes live in the same area, the wolf will try and chase or kill the coyote. They generally "don't get along" well, as Pawnee mentioned re: the Yellowstone situation with the two since wolves were restored in the mid 1990's.

When wolves and coyotes do interbreed, it usually happens because wolf numbers were so low that a single animal wasn't able to find a suitable wolf mate. This is was has been known to happen in parts of the country where wolves have declined to very low numbers and coyotes have adapted and expanded their range. For example, this has happened in the SE United States with the red wolf and the Midwest with gray wolves. When gray wolves reach a higher population level, the wolf's behavior to chase, injure, or kill coyotes usually returns.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

Return to “Wolf Q&A”