what's the worst method to drive wolves away

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Re: what's the worst method to drive wolves away

Post by Blindseer » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:15 pm

well, yeah <.<
and, considering you would technically be attacking it, it would most likely retaliate.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Inoushi
Pup
Pup

Post by Inoushi » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:46 pm

and, considering you would technically be attacking it, it would most likely retaliate.
Actually I don't think that would be the case. Wolves typically try their best to avoid pain. They can't afford injuries, it is for this reason why packs hardly resort to physically attacking one another. It is also for this reason why wolves or wolfdogs don't make good guard dogs. They would rather flee then deal with a head on attack. While there is a chance that it may make the wolf attack, I think in most cases this would just cause it to leave. Either way I wouldn't recommend it. Doing things like making loud noise and starting a fire should be good enough. However the best thing of all is being in a group with a few other people.
Eyes glowing red I plunge through the darkness.
Fur so black that it swallows light.
Son of a mother of the wood. Son of a father of the sky.
Product of an unholy union.
Tonight I shall live. Tonight I will howl.

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:24 pm

Again, wolves don't live in the world we do or think in the same manner as humans. Using anything to throw at them is not going to have them "retaliate". Actually, it is common practice to "haze" or keep wolves away from humans, by using rubber bullets or other things by the field team. This has been done in Yellowstone, and the red and mexican wolf reintroduction programs, and has had some effect to keep wolves away from humans, without them "attacking" the field team.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

Return to “Wolf Q&A”