what's the worst method to drive wolves away

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Aluriel
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: what's the worst method to drive wolves away

Post by Aluriel » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:47 pm

I personally don't think that all wolves are agressive,because i have seen many man-wolf encounters on youtube,nat.geo and animal planet :D.
cookies recieved from:
wolfdog911: {::}
gingadog: {::}
Raimundo: {::}
Special cookie recieved from XxXTsukieXxX :D:{::}

Dewfrost
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Dewfrost » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:38 am

Ok :mrgreen: But I was just wondering in English class today...
Why would people want to scare Wolves off anyway? :|
http://www.youtube.com/user/MeginoRAWR

My lashes are dry, purple teardrops I cry.

♦ WolfQuest User Of The Month September 2009

Wolfie10
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wolfie10 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:26 pm

A video made by someone on youtube is not very informative. It can be edited and such. Its basicly 3rd hand information. You need to study and have a good understanding of wolves. The could have very easily got a video of a wolf attacking a deer and then putting a human into it.
“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” Albert Einstein

Inoushi
Pup
Pup

Post by Inoushi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:48 pm

First off I want to say that a lot of people are romanticizing wolves here. Its wrong to say what a wolf won't or will do. By saying they don't attack people makes you sound just as wrong as people who say they constantly attack people. Animals just like people vary by the individual after all. While there are no recorded cases of a healthy wolf ever attacking someone in North America (also just because it was never recorded does not mean it never happened), in other places that is not the case. Secondly by saying you need not know of a method to scare them away you are depriving people of knowledge they may need in case they do encounter an unhealthy or unusually aggressive wolf (or even a feral hybrid for that matter, common people will not make the distinction). While many of you are using science to prove your answers , many of you are also looking at only half of the evidence. Not only that you are allowing your love for these animals blind you. I love wolves too just as much as one of any of you. However I think you are all causing damage by making these statements. Finally National Geographic is a creditable source. Saying it isn't makes someone wonder what your sources are.
Last edited by Inoushi on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyes glowing red I plunge through the darkness.
Fur so black that it swallows light.
Son of a mother of the wood. Son of a father of the sky.
Product of an unholy union.
Tonight I shall live. Tonight I will howl.

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:01 pm

Inoushi wrote:First off I want to say that a lot of people are romanticizing wolves here. Its wrong to say what a wolf won't or will do. By saying they don't attack people makes you sound just as wrong as people who say they constantly attack people. Animals just like people vary by the individual after all. While there are no recorded cases of a healthy wolf ever attacking someone in North America (also just because it was never recorded does not mean it never happened), in other places that is not the case. Secondly by saying you need not know of a method to scare them away you are depriving people of knowledge they may need in case they do encounter an unhealthy or unusually aggressive wolf (or even a feral hybrid for that matter, common people will not make the distinction). While many of you are using science to prove your answers , many of you are also looking at only half of the evidence. Not only that you are allowing your love for these animals blind you. I love wolves too just as much as one of any of you. However I think you are all causing damage by making these statements. Finally National Geographic is a creditable source. Saying it isn't makes someone wonder what your sources are.

o.o; Wow. I didn't imagine we had much of that sort on here. I applaud you, first for using the word romanticizing in context, and second for looking at the scenario from all areas. You've done my job for me. Huzzah. Good on you, and well said.

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:29 pm

Blindseer says:
you DONT yell at the wolves to make them go away, because you dont need to make them go away. it would be a waste of time an energy.
Actually, I am going to have to disagree with you. Wolves, like many animals, are oportunistic in many circumstances and any encounter with a wolf that approaches you-out of aggression or curiosity-should be discouraged. One way to do so, it to make yourself appear large, be loud and try and make them "think twice" about approaching you. I am not saying that wolves are always curious about humans or will always be approaching in an aggressive manner, but it is not totally unheard of in the wild.

Certainly, in captivity, this is done to keep them afraid and wary of humans-especially any wolf that may be reintroduced into the wild (like the Mexican wolf program-this is a topic that could be a topic all by itself). We do this, whether they approach us outside of the enclosure or inside of it. Again, unless you have a unique situation (as IWC and a few other places), it is the common "safety practice" to keep the wolves away from the humans, especially when some wolves will still get curious (over time) about their caretakers and it can be a situation that can get out of hand quickly.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:39 pm

You're saying that keeping a little bit of fear in the wolves will help ensure your safety? That makes sense. Sounds a little heartbreaking to have to do, but it certainly sounds smart.
Rest in peace, sisters Lakota and Mackenzie

Avvie by me

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:34 pm

yeah, and it will probablly keep the wolves safer too if they have less experience with humans. if they have a positive experience, they will be more likely to apporach humans later on.

however, I was just quoting the answer to the question (though simplified)

but of course, noise may make the wolves curious. as I recall, a pack of wolves in minnesota moves into an artillery training range while the guns are hot out of curiosity, and move out when the guns are quiet.
I thought that was rather interesting.
icon by Rottenrobbie

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:48 pm

That is really interesting...I would like to read an article or something on that sometime. I just hope the wolves don't get too close. D8

If sounds can perk a wolf's curiosity, wouldn't that render those radio collar-triggered rag boxes useless after a while? I imagine the sound would scare away the wolves at first, but eventually, they would learn when it comes on and what it sounds like. And once they're used to the sound of it, they might begin to become curious about it, right? And since the rag box poses no actual threat to the wolves, their curiosity will eventually lead them to find that it's harmless.

Total speculation there.

Avvie by me

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:03 pm

actually, the radio transmitter doesnt make any noises that I am aware of. I got to experience those in minnesota (an track wolves from a cessna, where I saw one 8D)

it was completely quiet, the beeps came from the reciever.
icon by Rottenrobbie

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:21 pm

Really? It just beeps? From what I've heard, rag boxes make tons of noise and flash bright lights.

Found a description of one:

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewc ... m_usdanwrc

On Page two, on the bottom of the left column, it describes what happens when a radio collar activates the rag box.

Avvie by me

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:42 pm

wait, I thought you were talking about the actual collar XD
icon by Rottenrobbie

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:34 am

I think the wirst thing you can do around an animal is to jerk or move quickly, like fidget or act nervous because it says you don`t know what your doing. it can make the animal nervous of your behaviour. I would also say running away is a bad idea as wolves are designed to run...millions of years of running after prey ins`t going to change in one day. some people set their dogs off leash by I personally think its a bad idea....most likely the wolf could eat or attack the dog out of fear or territorial dispute.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:51 pm

I think the worst thing you could do would be to throw something at it to make it go away.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Aluriel
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Aluriel » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:13 pm

Blindseer wrote:I think the worst thing you could do would be to throw something at it to make it go away.
why? would this make it angry?
cookies recieved from:
wolfdog911: {::}
gingadog: {::}
Raimundo: {::}
Special cookie recieved from XxXTsukieXxX :D:{::}

Return to “Wolf Q&A”