What would u do if you see a wolf pup

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

User avatar
Dragonbot
Pup
Pup
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:49 pm
Gender: Female

Re: What would u do if you see a wolf pup

Post by Dragonbot » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:03 pm

I think I would ignore it if it looked healthy. If it looked unwell i might call someone, but otherwise i'd leave it alone.
What has roots as nobody sees,
Is taller than trees,
Up, up it goes,
And yet never grows?

Jipotley
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:40 am

Re: What would u do if you see a wolf pup

Post by Jipotley » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:15 pm

I have seen multiple arguments on this topic but, if I had to choose one, it would be to ignore it. If I tried to disturb nature in any way, bad things will happen. It's parents could find them by finding their scent and following it.

However, if I didn't have to choose and those were examples, then I would call something like wildlife/animal control. These are professionals who know how to track animals (unlike me, I can't even find my cat in the most obvious places). Therefore, the pup will be in good hands!

User avatar
TimberRaven
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1722
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:27 am
Name: Elarion
Gender: Female
Location: Feelz-boii, come here, lemme TICKLE YOUUUU
Contact:

Re: What would u do if you see a wolf pup

Post by TimberRaven » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:59 pm

Adopt it would be illegal and unpractical, nurse it to health would be a pain, find it's parents would be very dangerous if they smell the pup's scent on your hands... ignore it would be smartest, unless you are in some other country where you can keep a wild wolf pup in your home.
«— • · . . . ` · . . · ´ ` · . . · ´ . . . · • —»
· •Welcome to my blue cage • ·
· • // . . . . . . · ´ ` · . . · ´ ` · . . . . . . \\ • ·
ᵃᵛᵃᵗᵃʳ ᵇʸ ˡᵘᵖᶤᶰᶻᵖᵃᶜᵏ

User avatar
ReconBlaster
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:58 pm
Name: Eyolf
Gender: Female
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: What would u do if you see a wolf pup

Post by ReconBlaster » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:26 pm

I'd call animal control or someone who is experienced to take care of wildlife. They may be a pup but are very dangerous as they grow. Letting someone with experience is the best course of action I would take especially if it's where i live, Been over 100 years since a wolf was here and even then it was a coyote mix. So yeah, definitely get someone who is proper to take care of the pup and introduce it somewhere else.
Come Hell or High Water

User avatar
2wolf22
Pup
Pup
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:19 am
Gender: Female
Location: A place with Lake Effect Snow :(

Re: What would u do if you see a wolf pup

Post by 2wolf22 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:51 pm

I'd probably do anything but keep it as a pet. I think maybe the parents would be nearby anyway but if I saw it later, knowing it was abandoned, I would take action like nurture it or search for any signs of parents. :D

User avatar
Navynovaz
Pup
Pup
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:32 am
Name: Navy
Gender: Other
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: What would u do if you see a wolf pup

Post by Navynovaz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 pm

-
Last edited by Navynovaz on Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minor ★ Agender ☆ Any Pronoun Except She ★ Marsic ☆ Greyaromantic ★ Polyamorous ☆ Autistic

▬☾ gԧt ☽▬
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things
which escape those who dream only by night.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _._ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ._ _ _
▬▬▬ ▬▬▬
Sig - Lupe
Av - Alphiixy

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 13001
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Location: washington, d.c.
Contact:

Re: What would u do if you see a wolf pup

Post by Koa » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:56 am

Mewer-Crow wrote:
MormonCricket wrote:I think I would shoot it, wolves only cause trouble to livestock and they really can't help it. Other than that feed it and heal it and find where the pack was, because I know where the wolf pack/coyote packs are roughly, and then just hope for the best.
Shooting a young pup would be harmful. Considering they are small, it would put them in more misery than leaving them. Killing a wolf is illegal in places too. Wolves are threatened in places and it would just cause harm to the population. Plus, how could you truely know where to find the parents?

And to the original question, personally I would leave it. Survival of the fittest. The weak die so the strong can breed.
Harmful in what way? One could argue that it would be more humane to shoot it (if there was no place that would take it in, that is) than to leave it and let it starve if it was wholly by itself. I would definitely leave it as well, though.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
Black Burn
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1107
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:55 pm
Name: BB for short
Gender: Male
Location: Staying strong and trucking on
Contact:

Re: What would u do if you see a wolf pup

Post by Black Burn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:36 pm

Depends on how injured it is,
If it is injured to where it can't live by itself, I'd take care of it until
It's healthy, than try to find its parents or give it to the International Wolf Center, because they'd know what to do,
But if it's just lost I'd leave it alone, because the parents would come and find it.
. . «`∙^«`∙ ∙`»^∙`» . .
. ⌐∙ . ∙•°F8°•∙ . ∙¬ .
So take the best parts of me
Locked away without the keys . .. . ════ =
= ════. .. .And know that I'm forever by your side
= «`∙^«`∙ ∙`»^∙`» =
avatar=Lupe/signature=TimberRaven

User avatar
Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:49 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Montana

Re: What would u do if you see a wolf pup

Post by Isela » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:32 am

Black Burn wrote:Depends on how injured it is,
If it is injured to where it can't live by itself, I'd take care of it until
It's healthy, than try to find its parents or give it to the International Wolf Center, because they'd know what to do,
The International Wolf Center operates on a four year cycle, which means every four years they get one or two new pups from licensed and credited facilities who are approved to breed their wolves (though they are not strictly breeding facilities). The pups need to be raised by people very shortly after they are born to begin the socialization process (getting them use to being around humans), otherwise the Wolf Care staff at IWC would not be able to interact with the ambassador wolves, and guests would hardly ever see them. IWC does not take in any wolves, pup or, especially, adult from any other source (besides what is listed above), and is not a rehabilitation center.
And the tempest is raging,

it's caving-in the sky

And the tempest is raging,

couldn't tame it if she tried

---Cora Rose - The Tempest
Avie © howl-ite

User avatar
Black Burn
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1107
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:55 pm
Name: BB for short
Gender: Male
Location: Staying strong and trucking on
Contact:

Re: What would u do if you see a wolf pup

Post by Black Burn » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:28 pm

Isela wrote:
Black Burn wrote:Depends on how injured it is,
If it is injured to where it can't live by itself, I'd take care of it until
It's healthy, than try to find its parents or give it to the International Wolf Center, because they'd know what to do,
The International Wolf Center operates on a four year cycle, which means every four years they get one or two new pups from licensed and credited facilities who are approved to breed their wolves (though they are not strictly breeding facilities). The pups need to be raised by people very shortly after they are born to begin the socialization process (getting them use to being around humans), otherwise the Wolf Care staff at IWC would not be able to interact with the ambassador wolves, and guests would hardly ever see them. IWC does not take in any wolves, pup or, especially, adult from any other source (besides what is listed above), and is not a rehabilitation center.
Thank you for this information!
I suppose I'd find some other experienced Wolf expert then, or if I ever really DO find an injured pup, maybe I'll be be a Wolf expert by then!
. . «`∙^«`∙ ∙`»^∙`» . .
. ⌐∙ . ∙•°F8°•∙ . ∙¬ .
So take the best parts of me
Locked away without the keys . .. . ════ =
= ════. .. .And know that I'm forever by your side
= «`∙^«`∙ ∙`»^∙`» =
avatar=Lupe/signature=TimberRaven

Post Reply

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”