Elderly woman killed by wolves in Tajikistan

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Elderly woman killed by wolves in Tajikistan

Post by La Striata » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:54 am

NOTE: The article is translated from Swedish, hence why it seems so clunky.
Elderly woman killed by wolves, Tajikistan

Posted by Jesper Jonsson on Tuesday, February 5, 2013

According to the radio station Tajikiska Ozodi has an 81-year-old woman killed by wolves in the village Badzhuv Rushan. Neighbors who heard the attack could not save the woman who died on the spot.

In the remote mountain village of Badzhuv Rushan residents fear the wolf extended getting food. Morning and evening they stay indoors to avoid encountering wolves looking for something to eat. The great depth of snow in the region forces the wolves to abandon their usual hunting grounds in favor of the settlement.

An 81-year-old woman was attacked in the early morning of wolves outside her house. Neighbors who heard her dogs barking rushed to the scene and managed to drive away the wolves from the woman's body. The woman had a sharp bite to the neck and had already lost consciousness. Her life could not be saved, nor regained her consciousness before she finally died.

Immediately after the tragic incident, the police sent a task force to the scene, said Mizrob Dorobov at ATC.

The harsh winter is said to be the reason for the large number of attacks against both domestic cattle as people in the region. In January last year, was attacked six people by wolves but none of the attacks were fatal. 90-year old Ozodamo Saidnurulloeva suffered injuries on both hands neck and was under medical treatment for a long period.

Since 2006, no funds were allocated to control the wolf population, which in turn led to significantly more wolves. Consequently, attacks on humans as well as domestic stock have increased.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... CDsQ7gEwAA
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Ravenwing2579
Pup
Pup

Re: Elderly woman killed by wolves in Tajikistan

Post by Ravenwing2579 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:22 am

Wolves usually target weaker prey in the wild, I believe - picking off sick, injured, young or elderly from the herd. To them, an elderly woman would seem like weak prey. Forced from their hunting grounds, they would have to find other prey such as humans; therefore an older woman would seem like an easy meal.

Still, this is very sad </3 Hopefully a way will be found for people there to protect themselves and their cattle from the wolves without killing the wolves or causing them to starve.
- - - - -
"That's right, Charlie! Mommy's psycho!" - Amy Duncan
-
"I'm the Doctor, and I'm worse than everybody's aunt." - The Doctor
- - - - -

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:04 pm

This is a good example of what would happen if we weren't so protected by our home's comfort; we wouldn't last that long since we are not the strongest animal.
Former WolfQuest Moderator
May '09 User of the Month

BlackScorpion
Pup
Pup

Post by BlackScorpion » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:49 pm

This story is an example of how powerful animals can be.
I find this fairly interesting. Wolves used to be timid and more afraid of humans. But like said in this article, 6 humans were attacked only last January, which is absolutely crazy.
I think that lately, wild animals have become less afraid of humans, which I think is something that caused this attack, or likewise what Ravenwing2579, since this lady was elderly she was a big target, her being 81.
I do hope these people can find a way to control the wolf population and attacks happening.
Aυтυмη

every leαғ ѕpeαĸѕ вlιѕѕ тo мe
¸.*¨*`.¸.*¨*`.¸
ғlυттerιɴɢ ғroм тнe αυтυмɴ тree
¸.*¨*`.¸.*¨*`.¸

Inactive

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:11 pm

BlackScorpion wrote:This story is an example of how powerful animals can be.
I find this fairly interesting. Wolves used to be timid and more afraid of humans. But like said in this article, 6 humans were attacked only last January, which is absolutely crazy.
I think that lately, wild animals have become less afraid of humans, which I think is something that caused this attack, or likewise what Ravenwing2579, since this lady was elderly she was a big target, her being 81.
I do hope these people can find a way to control the wolf population and attacks happening.
I do not think that is an accurate statement. Even then, they are still wild animals and to use the word "timid" almost implies they were essentially harmless creatures that would not attack a human during/would run away from one that time that you implied, which is somewhat inaccurate to assume, given that they STILL would behave as predators should whenever they felt necessary, regardless of habituation or not. There is a difference between something being timid (afraid) and something being less habituated (less accustomed to the presence of); in this case, wolves have grown accustomed to human presence (more habituated when influences or may act upon the wolf which allows them to 'co-exist' with humans, positively or negatively, though likely eventually negative in the end ) in areas where humans might be seen from time to time or are common, i.e., if a wolf is living in a suburban or populated rural area. To say a wolf was timid is like saying it cowers when it sees humans.. perhaps it was a bad word choice, on your part.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

alebrije
Yearling
Yearling

Post by alebrije » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:20 pm

How tragic :( , but it's the price we pay for taking over their habitat.
If we left them alone in their own space, they wouldn't be so close to us for this to happen. We wouldn't be invading their space if we didn't keep expanding on the forests. If we just leave them alone, they'd leave us alone.

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:59 am

Toronto Sun wrote:How tragic :( , but it's the price we pay for taking over their habitat.
If we left them alone in their own space, they wouldn't be so close to us for this to happen. We wouldn't be invading their space if we didn't keep expanding on the forests. If we just leave them alone, they'd leave us alone.
For all you know, those people could have been living in that area for generations. Here's what the article actually states;

1. The wolf entered the settlement because its territory was snowed over, not because it was driven out by humans.

2. Wolves had been "left alone" since 2006, and as a result their population expanded and they lost their fear of humans.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

wolshie
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolshie » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:21 pm

Is somebody going to post how innocent 'wolfies' are and the lady deserved it?

I hope not.

They're wild animals, predators. RIP

calxmity
WQ Report Team Retiree
WQ Report Team Retiree

Post by calxmity » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:46 pm

I believe that wolves have never been timid like some of you have suggested; I believe every animal can be timid, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are. Prove me wrong if you must, but these are my thoughts. After all, who knows what's going on inside wolves/animals heads? As far as I know, we don't.

On the other hand, the woman was old, and as others have stated, wolves typically go for weaker/sick prey. Did she deserve it? No. Did she do anything wrong? Not that's in the article. But do we know she didn't threaten them? I don't think so. I think she was just in the wrong place and the wrong time.

Feel free to correct me if I have anything wrong.
green - cavetown

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”