"Tranquilizing wolf was not an option"

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

"Tranquilizing wolf was not an option"

Post by Koa » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:13 am

An update on the Minnesota Zoo situation.
A lot of you have been asking, or thinking - "Why didn't they use a tranquilizer?"
Here's your answer.
The Minnesota Zoo has issued a statement explaining why a Mexican gray wolf was shot and killed, rather than tranquilized, after the animal escaped its enclosure Wednesday morning and began wandering the zoo grounds.

“Wolves are potentially dangerous wild animals. As such, the zoo’s trained and licensed animal escape team is authorized to shoot if there is a potential danger to people (guests or staff),” the zoo said in the statement. “The large number of guests on site and the location of the animal made today’s decision the only one possible under the circumstances.”

Zoo visitors were directed into the nearest building after the male wolf squeezed between two panels in its enclosure, got over an 8-foot-high fence and into the Northern Trail area. No injuries to people were reported.

The zoo cited the following reasons why a tranquilizer was not an option:

• Tranquilizers can take 10 to 15 minutes to fully take effect on an animal;

• a tranquilizer shot can cause an animal to run more and become more aggressive during those 10 to 15 minutes, and a missed tranquilizer shot can have the same result;

• adrenaline can block the effects of a tranquilizer and possibly override any effects;

• tranquilizer darts need to deploy all of their drugs for best results, and when the animal is moving the dart can fall out or bounce off the animal; and

• when an animal is near zoo guests, staff or perimeter fences, it is too risky to wait for tranquilizers to take effect.

“While it is regrettable that this animal had to be shot, it was the appropriate reaction to the situation. The zoo’s primary concern is the safety of our guests, our employees and the community in which we operate,” the zoo stated. “This is the first time anything of this sort has happened at the Minnesota Zoo, and we will redouble our efforts to prevent anything like it from happening again.”
Source: http://www.thisweeklive.com/2011/06/09/ ... an-option/
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Crocotto
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: "Tranquilizing wolf was not an option"

Post by Crocotto » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:56 pm

As someone who works at a zoo part time, I can agree with the institutions decision to shoot the animal. Wolves are large carnivores and like any other large animal they can be totally unpredictable. Even the most powerful tranquilizers take up to 8 minutes to work fully, and by that time the wolf could have done anything from dig a burrow, to run out of the zoo; to rip someone's throat out.
~Convenience is no excuse to hide truth~

Blight-Wolf for Moderator!
# Team Anti-Wolfaboo

NewMooon
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by NewMooon » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:34 pm

I understand why they decided to shoot the wolf. The wolf was dangerous and there really was no other option. While I was reading this article about 3 days ago I was sitting there thinking Hmm... Minnesota Zoo... rings a bell... OH YEAH! I'm so absent minded at times :roll:
..........╔═╦╗────╔═╦═╗
..........║║║╠═╦╦╦╣║║║╠═╦═╦═╦═╦╗
..........║║║║╩╣║║║║║║║╬║╬║╬║║║║
..........╚╩═╩═╩══╩╩═╩╩═╩═╩═╩╩═╝

.........."life IS hard."
.........."~ŋɚɰ ɱøøŋ

Green Paws Team

TextArt© Nightly
Avvie© Crystal

ZippyWizard
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by ZippyWizard » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:50 am

Crocotto wrote:As someone who works at a zoo part time, I can agree with the institutions decision to shoot the animal. Wolves are large carnivores and like any other large animal they can be totally unpredictable. Even the most powerful tranquilizers take up to 8 minutes to work fully, and by that time the wolf could have done anything from dig a burrow, to run out of the zoo; to rip someone's throat out.
And the chances of those things were about double, as the wolf was terrified and maybe even accidentally cornered at some point.And while they're mostly shy animals, being out of their pen and in an unfamiliar area, with all these people they don't know, I would've been wanting to get away, too.
You walk like a storm, and I will follow.

Violet-Shadow-Master
Pup
Pup

Post by Violet-Shadow-Master » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:16 pm

I understand why they chose to not tranquilize. It's a shame that they had to shoot the poor wolf but it was for the safety of the public, and they can become extremely aggressive when scared.
My amazing avatar was made by Crystaltheglaceon

April

Post by April » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:17 pm

Hmm idk.... I guess it might be a waste of money but I'd shoot it with a tranquilizer first and keep a close eye on it to see if it poses any immediate threat. If it got aggressive and started attackign people even after being tranquilized then I would shoot it
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Oceansong-Direwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Oceansong-Direwolf » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:36 pm

April wrote:Hmm idk.... I guess it might be a waste of money but I'd shoot it with a tranquilizer first and keep a close eye on it to see if it poses any immediate threat. If it got aggressive and started attackign people even after being tranquilized then I would shoot it
I fully agree with you, April.
One raindrop among millions.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:40 pm

Oceansong-Direwolf wrote:
April wrote:Hmm idk.... I guess it might be a waste of money but I'd shoot it with a tranquilizer first and keep a close eye on it to see if it poses any immediate threat. If it got aggressive and started attackign people even after being tranquilized then I would shoot it
I fully agree with you, April.
Again, it would have helped if there were no zoo guests around. But there were.

If the effect of a tranquilizer was immediate, then I'd agree with you. But because it is not, then I'd have to disagree... its one of those situations where action must be taken immediately, and must be effective.
• Tranquilizers can take 10 to 15 minutes to fully take effect on an animal;

• a tranquilizer shot can cause an animal to run more and become more aggressive during those 10 to 15 minutes, and a missed tranquilizer shot can have the same result;

In general, as the article states:
• when an animal is near zoo guests, staff or perimeter fences, it is too risky to wait for tranquilizers to take effect.
You don't want to wait until the animal starts attacking people.. then you could have a mess, not involving just the people's safety, but I'd reckon the law, as well.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:14 pm

[/quote]

In my opinion, that would be a slightly inhumane and irresponsible method, not to mention it would most likely heighten the risk involved as well as the dangerousness of the situation. It is safer to put down a potentially dangerous wild animal as fast as possible rather than further place the animal under stress by increasing its state of unpredictability and discomfort by watching its reaction after being shot with a tranquilizer.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”