Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

SE: Wolves attacked a family - killed dog

Post by Blightwolf » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:33 am

SE: Wolves attacked a family - killed dog
April 17, 2011

Stockholm / TT

Police this morning were warned that a woman who was out with the dog and her 17-month child in a pram in Rörmossen near Norrtälje were attacked by wolves.

"It has been reported that two wolves attacked the dog and also made advances towards the stroller," said Ulf Lindgren at the Stockholm police.

According to the woman one wolf attacked the dog that went some distance in front, bit on the neck and dragged it with him. The other wolf approached the woman and the stroller, but then she started to scream and flail with arms, which scared away the wolf.

"If she did not raise the child and was able to defend themselves and shout it would have ended really badly," said the woman's boyfriend.

The woman and child were not injured physically.

The County Adminstrative Board's predators experts went to the scene and found parts of the attacked dog a couple of hundred yards from the site of the attack. A specially-trained wolf tracking dog found the remains.

According to the County Board there are two adult wolves in the Riala region between Norrtälje and Åkersberga. About a year ago four puppies were born in the territory.

Riala Wolves have probably committed five dog attacks since the territory was established in autumn 2009.

According to Olof Liberg, carnivore researcher and coordinator of the Scandinavian wolf project, the wolves who attacked the dog are likely defending their territory.

"This is not unusual. Wolves defend their territory very strongly," he says.

"The wolf perceives a dog as a species competitor and when dogs enter their territory, they are so completely focused on the dog so that they barely notice the people," says Liberg.

"It's like they have blinders on themselves. Wolves will hate the other wolves entering in his territory. The can bite them so they kill them or drive them away."

He thinks that the woman was quite right that started to holler and wave to scare away the wolves and he backed is up by the county administrative predator expert Hanna Dittrich Söderman.

"She acted in quite the right way. I am full of admiration," she says.

Source: http://ttela.se/start/sverige/1.1186704 ... odade-hund (Original Swedish article)
I don't appreciate the fact that they're trying to put the attention on wolves' territorial behavior. Aggressive behavior in wolves is spreading, and I find that alarming. From Asia to Europe to Scandinavia to North America - the risks of habituation is starting to show in every wolf population across the globe. Aggression in wolves (and unprovoked/unmotivated attacks on humans) have been steadily increasing since 2001.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

wolfyattitude
Yearling
Yearling

Re: SE: Wolves attacked a family - killed dog

Post by wolfyattitude » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:16 am

I agree with you, I to am afraid that the attacks from wolves are becoming more common, but at least some people can explain why it is happening.
╔═══════╗
████████
ÐEatнηΘ†E║
████████
████████
████████
████████
╚═══════╝

Avvie(c)Lupinzpack

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:14 am

wolfyattitude wrote:I agree with you, I to am afraid that the attacks from wolves are becoming more common, but at least some people can explain why it is happening.
Habituation is one reason; wild wolves shed their fear of humans and start to display fearlessness and aggression instead of fear and avoidance. And I think people will start to run out of explanations soon, too. I am not implying that wolves are becoming "man-eaters", but they are definitely becoming more bolder and dangerous. But pretty soon blaming wolves' territoriality or rabies or some other common frequently used reason isn't going to be enough.

Though I have to add that wolves are having pups at the current moment (April-May), which naturally adds to their aggression and defensive behavior. Wolf attacks are most common in spring and winter. But still. The attacks are increasing, and people cannot no longer say that aggression is only the European and Asian wolf's problem.

Kestrelflight
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Kestrelflight » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:15 pm

I can see where territorial problems and hunting would come out of the question. Wolves are growing so unafraid of humans. That frightens me, cause who knows how many people will be killed or injured.

Thanks for sharing this Blight.
You can lead a horse to water, and you can lead a horse into water, and you can swim around with the horse and have fun.

#BEANCLUB

Avatar [c] idk someone (hint: it's not me)

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:59 am

Kestrelflight wrote:I can see where territorial problems and hunting would come out of the question. Wolves are growing so unafraid of humans. That frightens me, cause who knows how many people will be killed or injured.
Well, we don't have to overreact or take things out of proportion (we shouldn't be thinking that wolves are going to kill and injure people in the future, etc), but habituated wolves are becoming a common phenomenon, which is worrisome.

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”