Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Read and comment on the latest news about upcoming episodes and changes to the forum and game, or read and enter our monthly giveaway contest.

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Kipcha28

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by Kipcha28 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:40 pm

Just as a reminder, lexicon was going to be removed regardless of 2.7's existence - they had decided this as early as 2011. Dave explained this in the first post.

psychoguiltyspark
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by psychoguiltyspark » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:45 pm

These seems very unfair, as said others. But however if they are doing inappropriate role-play, then I suggest doing that. If they are going too however,

Facebook
Google+
or any other site with roleplaying groups are there.

You just have too look with your own eyes. But I suppose this decision was the right thing too do, otherwise it'll continue on... But there was always something with the chat that I didn't quite understand. Sometimes when you are chatting something that IS appropriate, the "APPROPRIATE" word gets turned into the few question marks, even though it is not even inappropriate, nor have I seen anyone use it in a inappropriate way possible.. But this is only my opinion and this is how I am saying this.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:50 pm

midnight1975 wrote:Okay I get that you guys want it to be family friendly and what ever. But why should ALL of us be punished for what a few people did. I bought the new WQ update and honestly, it didn't work at all. It was glitching, wouldn't let me click anything and froze every 2 seconds. This is really making people upset. What I don't understand is why you are doing this. Why don't you just add more filters. You have taken away the freedom to speek, and A LOT of people are up set. Please reconsider.

If you're having troubles running the game you can adjust your settings- remove water reflections, shadows, change resolution, etc. My game was very jumpy for the first bit too but settled after a while and runs very smoothly now. Also, I can assure you there are very few bugs in the game now, far far from the amount in 2.5. In fact I have yet to encounter a single bug in singleplayer. If you are still having troubles after adjusting settings try submitting a bug report.
Also, adding more filters wouldn't have been very helpful. Words have been removed and filtered for YEARS now in WQ, adding more filters would make games even more difficult and restricting (and I can guarantee people would complain about that too). Meat can't really be removed since it's important to a wolfs life. And people are guaranteed to find ways to bypass it as they always have (heck, I saw a 'meatrp' on phrase chat today. Insane.)
Finally, this isn't meant to be a punishment. That's important to remember. As David said, chat lexicon would have been removed in any case. People roleplaying naughty things wasn't the only reason, we're extremely lucky to have the new and improved private chat instead of only phrase chat.

sara34987
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by sara34987 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:51 pm

I don't know how I feel about this... I get why you did it from a logical point of view but the whole point of role playing is the fact that you could be creative with your vocabulary and explore new ideas. The reason no one uses the Phrase Chat is because of how limiting it is. If age group is the issue then just restrict it to 14 and up. If you make this clear enough, then parents (or anyone really) doesn't have a right to complain because it was posted that this game was not for children any younger than the specified age. Role playing in general isn't for an audience that isn't mature enough to run a story and a character of their own. The reason why I liked WQ was because it was a good place to Role play. Whenever I go to any other game, either the graphics aren't good enough, there aren't enough players, or there are virtually no restrictions/filters so it creates mayhem. Otherthan the occasional spelling errors and words that aren't spelled right (pretty much any word with a double g for example, the word "begging"), this place was a good place to rp. And the Private chats are simply to difficult to set up. I've been using this website for around three years now and I still haven't figured out how to use it.

I'm sorry to say this, but if WQ makes me have to pay $10 for an expansion, that I can't even get the demo of for some reason AND doesn't have public Lexicon Chat, then I don't know if I'll be seen as a regular user anymore. This may have been efficient money wise, but it definitely isn't efficient when it comes to keeping your players. The best advice I could give you if you still insist on removing Lexicon is to at least fix the Private Chat and make Lexicon available there. I'm willing to cooperate and tell you all the faults in the system, but that's only if you're willing to at least listen and take what I say into account. Thank you for the wonderful experience you have provided to me these last three years and I hope this plays out well for everyone.

PeltOfAsh
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Ash

Post by PeltOfAsh » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:00 pm

Lexicon chat isn't coming back. As has been said on the first post of the topic and about a dozen times since, it was always going to be removed. The Minnesota Zoo and Eduweb had an agreement to remove it once 2.7 was released. The likelihood of this agreement being altered is nonexistent.

sara34987
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by sara34987 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:08 pm

CaffeineCollie wrote:Lexicon chat isn't coming back.
I wasn't expecting it to come back. It would be surprising if it did. But why restrict it to every chat available instead of just Public Chat like in the new 2.7? I'm all for that idea if I could just figure out how Private chat even worked. I love this website and even though people keep telling me there are other websites out there, it's just not the same. There's a certain group here, I already know the map better than I do my own house, I've mastered the terrain and I find myself challenging other players to a better role play. It was fun and I understand why they did this. However, I cannot help the fact that I'm disheartened at the idea that I can't role play with my friends on WQ anymore. Who knows, maybe this reply is contradicting everything I said before but how could I not be disheveled when something I know so well suddenly changed into something else that I don't feel comfortable with?

Kenta_Akita
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Kenta_Akita » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:06 pm

I have an idea.

Why not make a separate server for the younger kids, that have phrase chat?
But for the teens, older, and MUCH older, have text chat?

You do ask for our ages before we register, so I would hope you can separate the two by doing that.

You can still have the censored chat and all, but i'm sure it's mostly parents concerned of what their 8 year old is seeing/hearing while playing, So I think making a separate server for older kids/adults would sound reasonable, and bring back role-play in the game. :D

taitai15
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by taitai15 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:30 pm

the game was good I had a great time but it being gone im pretty much done with wolfquest but ill get over it you did what you had to do its all in the past now but life goes on so stop hating on it :|

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:37 pm

To be honest, I can see both sides of the argument. I will miss the lexicon, as I've shared great times with good friends with it on 2.5, but I'm not all too intimidated and upset about the new version's chat options. In the end, can lexicon really compete with Free Chat? And the players who have bought the game already claim it to be smooth and easy to coordinate pack sessions, so what do we have to fear? I'm not sure about this whole "we'll loose half of the Wolfquest population" gig, because the only ones concerned about that is the small fraction that won't open up to the word of possibilities that come with the new version. Besides, phrase chat might turn out to be a more realistic way of communication from a wolf's perspective--and isn't that what we were aiming for when we first found out about the game? Realism? I understand the payment part has some of us upset, but most of those complaining about payment would probably like to see a third episode. In order to get there, we've got to work with the team and contribute in funds. If I were in charge of my own money, I'd probably be paying 50$ for the game! I support the release of lexicon for the greater good of the new and improved. I enjoyed it while I had it!

Yes, it's new and uncomfortable, so let's embrace it as a pack and accept the change together!

Korona Shuzen
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Korona Shuzen » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:54 pm

D: Okay...
I accept your decision to take away Lexicon Chat. But some people, such as me, just don't want to spend the money on 2.7, nor do we have the money.
So 2.5 was a great way to hang out, make friends, and RP.
It also isn't fair for the people who didn't abuse the WQ chat.
I suppose this means I'm deleting WQ from my computer, now.
Farewell friends, and Wolf Quest.
I just can't play a game that's 10 bucks, knowing I may not meet up with my friends. WQ had a good run for me... but I guess my RPing days are over.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:07 am

Korona Shuzen wrote:D: Okay...
I accept your decision to take away Lexicon Chat. But some people, such as me, just don't want to spend the money on 2.7, nor do we have the money.
I just can't play a game that's 10 bucks, knowing I may not meet up with my friends. WQ had a good run for me... but I guess my RPing days are over.

You could always ask for the money for a Christmas gift, $10 is incredibly cheap for a game. And it's still possible to contact your friends on the WQ website.

OreoTheCookie
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Ellie

Post by OreoTheCookie » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:25 am

Korona Shuzen wrote:D: Okay...
That's kinda sad, but that's how it is. Yeah, game is cheap, but though, some people are not able to buy the game. It's sad, that I won't meet my old friends on WQ 2.5, but I have to deal with it. Lexicon chat is not returning, as does role-playing on WQ 2.5. And as roguemoon said, you are still able to contact your friends on website. You did not lose your friends, because of lexicon chat being removed, they are still here.

Kyrozide
Pup
Pup

Post by Kyrozide » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:16 am

loboLoco wrote:
lonewolf3656 wrote:i respect your choice but i cant log in on wolf quest 2.7, i brought it and i made an account on it, and i wrote in the key and it said that it sent an email to me but it never came so i cant activate my account so now i wont be able to do anything
send an email to info@wolfquest.org with your email address and username in 2.7.

When I go to info@wolfquest.org, it says the website doesn't exist. :/

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:29 am

@Abandoned Corpse: It is an e-mail address, not a website. ;)

Kyrozide
Pup
Pup

Post by Kyrozide » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:12 am

Neamara wrote:@Abandoned Corpse: It is an e-mail address, not a website. ;)
Ohhhhh, that makes more sense. Thanks Neamara :lol:
  • Edit
Okay sorry, one more itsy bitsy thing, When I DO go there, it's says the client is not properly installed.
Last edited by Neamara on Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added information from double post. In the future, please use the edit feature of your previous post to include additional information. Thank you~ ♪