WQ 2.7: User accounts

Read and comment on the latest news about upcoming episodes and changes to the forum and games.

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

DHumphrey
Pup
Pup

Re: WQ 2.7: User accounts

Post by DHumphrey » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:28 am

Very nice! I like the way you can add friends and be in a pack.

MimpiDreams
Pup
Pup

Post by MimpiDreams » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:46 am

Perfection! Thank you! :D

Shadziulec
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Shadziulec » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:49 am

Packs! I've sent you a suggestion with this a few months ago :D Did you look at it ouo ? I don't think so,but it's so great that we can have formal packs now! Thank you WQ team :3

Kipcha28

Post by Kipcha28 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:28 am

Snow130 wrote:Is it OK if we could use different usernames? I'm still debating what user I should have on Wolfquest 2.7, but it might just be the same as usual on forums.
Usernames in the game are not tied to forum accounts.

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:08 pm

Kitsuma wrote:I like this new friend and packs thing. My only question/problem is that currently multiplayer servers only allow 5 people. If forum packs wish to play together on the game, the server will have to allow more. Especially for the bigger packs. Is this something that is going to happen?
My guess would be that only 5 members of the pack will be able to play in a game at one time, even in the future- simply for lag purposes. Think of it this way- if you have a pack with 20 members, and all of them are playing in one game... you'd need a stupidly beefy computer and extremely hi-powered internet just to be able to do anything.

Weylenn
Pup
Pup

Post by Weylenn » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:09 pm

Frodo1 wrote:
Kitsuma wrote:I like this new friend and packs thing. My only question/problem is that currently multiplayer servers only allow 5 people. If forum packs wish to play together on the game, the server will have to allow more. Especially for the bigger packs. Is this something that is going to happen?
My guess would be that only 5 members of the pack will be able to play in a game at one time, even in the future- simply for lag purposes. Think of it this way- if you have a pack with 20 members, and all of them are playing in one game... you'd need a stupidly beefy computer and extremely hi-powered internet just to be able to do anything.
??? Wolf quest is a simple game. You don't need a beefy internet/computer for 20 people. There are mmos that have over 300 people in a 100 square meter area. (AKA Marianople in Archeage). Not saying WolfQuest is an MMO, but like... To have 20 people wouldn't be awful.

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Frodo1 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:21 pm

Weylenn wrote:
Frodo1 wrote:
??? Wolf quest is a simple game. You don't need a beefy internet/computer for 20 people. There are mmos that have over 300 people in a 100 square meter area. (AKA Marianople in Archeage). Not saying WolfQuest is an MMO, but like... To have 20 people wouldn't be awful.
Yes, however those are hugely commercial games with intensely powerful servers dedicated just to hosting the game. If I understand correctly, that's not how WQ operates- and given that they have had funding struggles in the past and even the present, it doesn't seem likely that such a huge and expensive server system will be implemented any time in the near future. I don't know if I understand the system, but the whole concept of "host game"/"join game" seems to imply that the game is actually hosted via the host's computer and wifi (limiting the speed of data transmission to the speed of your wifi)- and usually those just aren't beefy enough to handle so many players. Correct me if I'm wrong about this- this has always been my understanding, but I'd love to hear an official answer on how the whole system operates XD

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:33 pm

This was the most recent post (I believe) by Dave on the issue of whether or not to allow more people in a multiplayer session:
loboLoco wrote:
TrappedSouls wrote:I think there should be allowed more than 5 players in a multiplayer game. So that way, if your internet isn't that good, you don't have to have more than 5, but if it's fast, you can easily have more than 5 and not lag. After all, wolf packs consist of more than 5 wolves.
We had good reasons for this limit five years ago, but I'm not sure to what extent they still apply. We've switched the MP system (to Photon), and computers are generally more powerful nowadays. So maybe we'll reconsider this limit. (On tablet, though, the limit will definitely remain--and be even lower on older devices.)
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f ... 5#p2398895

It seems that the limit has not changed for computers at present; it doesn't meant that it won't change in the future, but I do not know if it will change for the final version.

DerpBacon
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Jay

Post by DerpBacon » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:02 pm

Whoa, whoa, whoa, packs? This is amazing for hosting forum pack MP games!
Thank you so much, Dave.

BlueBellTigger
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by BlueBellTigger » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:16 pm

Katserin Kynsi wrote:
BlueBellTigger wrote:Sooo... How are we going to get the accounts? do we do it when they come out or...??
When you open 2.7, there will be a Log In button at the bottom of the screen, and when you click that there will be a Register option that you can use to create an account. You can do it right when you get the game or do it at some later point, it's up to you.
Ok then, thank you :)

HowlerOfTheWolves
Pup
Pup

Post by HowlerOfTheWolves » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:04 pm

Oh my gosh! That sounds so awesome, I cannot wait you guys! Thanks for all the hard work you do. <3

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:00 pm

Frodo1 wrote: Yes, however those are hugely commercial games with intensely powerful servers dedicated just to hosting the game. If I understand correctly, that's not how WQ operates- and given that they have had funding struggles in the past and even the present, it doesn't seem likely that such a huge and expensive server system will be implemented any time in the near future. I don't know if I understand the system, but the whole concept of "host game"/"join game" seems to imply that the game is actually hosted via the host's computer and wifi (limiting the speed of data transmission to the speed of your wifi)- and usually those just aren't beefy enough to handle so many players. Correct me if I'm wrong about this- this has always been my understanding, but I'd love to hear an official answer on how the whole system operates XD
That is correct. When a user in WQ hosts a game, that game is actually being hosted on their computer and isn't transferred to a server, so depending on a person's computer and internet connection, there are more limitations doing it that way than how MMOs do it.

Also, yeah...MMOs make a lot of money and, WolfQuest as of 2.5, has been completely free...so they don't have the money to host huge servers.
Weylenn wrote: ??? Wolf quest is a simple game. You don't need a beefy internet/computer for 20 people. There are mmos that have over 300 people in a 100 square meter area. (AKA Marianople in Archeage). Not saying WolfQuest is an MMO, but like... To have 20 people wouldn't be awful.
Also, adding on to what Frodo said, those MMOs are heavily optimized because the companies that make them can afford to do so, and they're likely running on a different game engine than what WolfQuest uses.

But yes, it would be nice to have more than 5 people in a game. Maybe someday.

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Frodo1 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:43 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:
Frodo1 wrote: Yes, however those are hugely commercial games with intensely powerful servers dedicated just to hosting the game. If I understand correctly, that's not how WQ operates- and given that they have had funding struggles in the past and even the present, it doesn't seem likely that such a huge and expensive server system will be implemented any time in the near future. I don't know if I understand the system, but the whole concept of "host game"/"join game" seems to imply that the game is actually hosted via the host's computer and wifi (limiting the speed of data transmission to the speed of your wifi)- and usually those just aren't beefy enough to handle so many players. Correct me if I'm wrong about this- this has always been my understanding, but I'd love to hear an official answer on how the whole system operates XD
That is correct. When a user in WQ hosts a game, that game is actually being hosted on their computer and isn't transferred to a server, so depending on a person's computer and internet connection, there are more limitations doing it that way than how MMOs do it.

Also, yeah...MMOs make a lot of money and, WolfQuest as of 2.5, has been completely free...so they don't have the money to host huge servers.
Weylenn wrote: ??? Wolf quest is a simple game. You don't need a beefy internet/computer for 20 people. There are mmos that have over 300 people in a 100 square meter area. (AKA Marianople in Archeage). Not saying WolfQuest is an MMO, but like... To have 20 people wouldn't be awful.
Also, adding on to what Frodo said, those MMOs are heavily optimized because the companies that make them can afford to do so, and they're likely running on a different game engine than what WolfQuest uses.

Ah, thanks for the clarification! No wonder the games I host lag like crazy XD (#ThanksInternet XD)
Yet another reason to support WQ... lol :P

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:49 pm

Frodo1 wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote:

Ah, thanks for the clarification! No wonder the games I host lag like crazy XD (#ThanksInternet XD)
Yet another reason to support WQ... lol :P
Yup, that explains everything, my PC is really weak, so that explains why MP is such a pain in the butt to use on my PC, oh well....

Still very excited about the new accounts on WQ 2.7, really loving the friends, packs, and pack messages!

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:24 am

Oh that sounds cool!
Though I have a question, not sure if it has already been answered yet but, I assume that if you make an account on the game those account will be labeled as 'taken' after making it, right?
Are these accounts linked to the WolfQuest forums? As example, in case I name myself Semper Solus on there too, that's still possible? I assume so, but just want to know for certain. You never know for sure, of course. c;

Return to “WolfQuest News and Announcements”