Episode 2.5 Fundraising Contest

Archived news, updates and announcements.
WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Episode 2.5 Fundraising Contest

Post by WQ Coordinator » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:50 pm

How would you like to take part in trying to add something new into Episode 2.5? From Jan 1st until March 1st, 2011, if you make a donation or purchase something from the WolfQuest online store (https://www.nc.mnzoo.state.mn.us/NetCom ... &srcid=319), the profit from that purchase will go toward adding lightning into the game. If you make a donation, all of that money will be counted toward this fundraiser. If we raise $1,000 by midnight on March 1st, we will add lightning as an effect in the game. If we raise more than $1,000 before March 1st, well, that would be great! We'd either be able to add an additional component to the game or we'd just put it toward lengthening the life of the forum and game.

Contest Grand Total: $1181! We made it!
(Updated 3/2/11)

Profit for each item: while profit varies based on how much the actual shipping price is, I decided to make things simpler by assigning a specific amount to each store item, so you'd know approximately how much your purchases add to the grand total. The profit listed here doesn't necessarily reflect the real profit made (which doesn't include my time to process the orders, the cost of envelopes, etc.), but it does give you an idea of which things help raise more money. In general, purchasing anything with a WolfQuest logo on it (shirts and patches) helps the most, simply because we've already spent the money to purchase the product. So if there have already been enough items sold to recover the initial cost, all of that purchase price is profit.

So, here's how all our store items will count toward this contest:
  • WolfQuest T-shirt- $10
  • Large plush, toys, and mood necklaces- $5
  • Small plush, bear claw necklace, WolfQuest patch- $2
  • Bear claw replica- $1
  • Donations- 100% of amount donated
The profit from donations and store items goes directly to WolfQuest development and maintenance, so whether you’re excited about lightning or not, please consider making a donation or purchasing a shirt or other store item to help support WolfQuest.

And don't forget to visit our sponsors on the forum ads! (It's like donating someone else's money- free to you, but still a donation and helpful to WolfQuest!) :mrgreen:

Edit: wolf567 was kind enough to make a lightning 'thermometer' to help us keep track of our goal (attached below unless it's being updated). Thanks!
Attachments
WOLFQUEST LIGHTING 1.jpg
WOLFQUEST LIGHTING 1.jpg (32.97 KiB) Viewed 6818 times
Last edited by wolf567 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Reason: Updating picture :D

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Re: Episode 2.5 Fundraising Contest

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:58 am

Neat-o! Lightening sounds pretty cool to add! But would it be purely aesthetic or would it add some sort of gameplay value?

I'll spread the word around...

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:10 am

That will be determined by how much effort/time it takes to program in, Solitary, but it'd most likely be mostly aesthetic, since lightning doesn't really affect wolves unless it strikes something (which we also considered, but again, we'll see how much money it takes to program into the game, and then go from there).
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

Kipcha28

Post by Kipcha28 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:58 am

WQ Coordinator wrote: If we raise $1,000 before March 1st, we will add lightning as an effect in the game. If we raise more than $1,000 before March 1st, well, that would be great! We'd either be able to add something else or we'd just put it toward lengthening the life of the forum and game.
I was a bit confused by this bit. The March 1st deadline... does that mean if we raise the money before then, we get lightning and possibly something else (or lengthening the forum/game)? What happens if we don't meet the deadline?

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:08 pm

Edited the post...hopefully it's a bit more clear now. But yes, if we raise more than $1,000 by March 1st, we'd then add lightning and either something else to the game (like the lightning having more of an impact on the environment or one of the 'game enhancements' ideas) or just put it toward general bug fixing/upkeep/maintenance, depending on how much we raise and how much some of the other ideas would cost to implement.

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

Mejse99
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Mejse99 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:30 pm

Thank's for the news Cana! :D

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:47 pm

Just ordered a T-shirt and a set of toys. I will definitely consider donating some once I get my first paycheck--I got a new job yesterday.

I personally hope the surplus money gained in this contest, if any is gained at all, is put toward bug fixing and maintenanace. I'd rather have a good, solid game than a game with lots and lots of features but also lots and lots of bugs. =]

Klaabu789
Pup
Pup

Post by Klaabu789 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:01 pm

Hello! :) i like comments and Wolf Quest team i waiting where come new wolf quest and what become in there but why are that so expensive when you get a new wolf quest game a lighting? :shock: and i waiting where come new wolf quest and what come new wolf quest exactly? (Just ask :) )
PS: Sorry about spelling errors i am not good English written :oops: :cry:

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Klaabu789 wrote:Hello! :) i like comments and Wolf Quest team i waiting where come new wolf quest and what become in there but why are that so expensive when you get a new wolf quest game a lighting? :shock: and i waiting where come new wolf quest and what come new wolf quest exactly? (Just ask :) )
PS: Sorry about spelling errors i am not good English written :oops: :cry:
There are currently no plans for a future WolfQuest game, and it costs so much to add lightning because programming a video game, even simple little things, is very expensive.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:16 pm

Quite interesting, I have had my eye on quite a few things from the store recently. So, if I am able to purchase anything around the time line for this Fundraiser, which I shall try to do, it'd be great to help with the contest and the fundraising.

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:10 pm

And just so everyone knows, if you plan on getting more than one item from the store, please order them together- that saves money on shipping and packaging, so ends up giving more to WolfQuest and less to the post office and the place where we buy our envelopes, among other things. ;)

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Kali

Post by Alpha Female » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:16 pm

The contest sounds exciting! I'll see if I can earn enough to donate or buy something from the shop. Lightning would be a neat feature to the game. =3

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:06 pm

Oh boy, I'll definitely donate sometime soon. Gosh, should have waited on buying all of my stuff. xD Ah well, I'll put aside some money to donate; I would love to see some lightning. <3

MsGoldenMC4

Post by MsGoldenMC4 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:11 pm

I am going to talk to my mom about getting something from the store so we can donate money to add lightning.Are you talking about the lightning for like light or you talking about the lightning in a thunderstorm???

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:44 pm

Rebecca100 wrote:I am going to talk to my mom about getting something from the store so we can donate money to add lightning.Are you talking about the lightning for like light or you talking about the lightning in a thunderstorm???
Like lightning in a thunderstorm!

Return to “WolfQuest News and Announcements Archive”