Your ideas for 'resting' in the game

Archived news, updates and announcements.

Which option do you like best?

Option 1
10%
Option 2
12%
Option 3
52%
Option 4
5%
Option 5
9%
Option 6
7%
Option 7
5%
Option 8 (do not vote on this option until it is described in the first post)
0%
Option 9 (do not vote on this option until it is described in the first post)
No votes
Option 10 (do not vote on this option until it is described in the first post)
0%

Total votes: 430

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Your ideas for 'resting' in the game

Post by WQ Coordinator » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:49 pm

As we finish designing the new scenery for Episode 2.5 and start moving onto programming, we'd love to hear your ideas for how to incorporate both sitting and lying down into the game. While I can't give you too many details about the ways we think we'll incorporate some of it into the game (mostly because it hasn't been programmed yet, so could easily change), I'd still like to hear what you think. Here are some options to consider- you can comment and vote in the poll, and you should be able to change your vote as new options are described.
Edit: the poll and this topic will be closed on January 1st, so make your final votes and comments before that date.

Option 1:
If you want to lie down, you press a button on your keyboard. (We're leaning toward 'z' for sleeping (catching z's) This will play an animation of your wolf lying down. If you press it again, you can choose (via a popup window) to sleep and wake up in a new time of day (in single player). If you choose not to sleep, your wolf will stand up. Sitting would be left as an auto-animation when your wolf has not moved for a little while so would not be player-controlled. In multiplayer, pressing 'z' once will make your wolf lie down. Pressing 'z' again will make your wolf stand up.

Option 2:
The same as option 1, except a separate button (like 'r' for 'rest') is pressed for controlling the sitting down animation, rather than only being able to sit when you haven't moved for a little while. If you press 'r' again, your wolf will stand up. This key (and action) remains the same for both single and multiplayer.

Option 3:
The same as option 1, except the first time you press 'z' (or 'r') will cause your wolf to sit. The second time you press it will cause your wolf to lie down. The third will give your wolf the option to sleep or stand back up (in single player). In multiplayer, pressing 'z' the first time causes your wolf to sit. Press it again, and your wolf will lie down. Press it again, and your wolf will stand up. So, other than the automated sit animation, your wolf is not able to sit then stand up- it has to sit, then lie down, then stand up because it's all controlled by one key.

Option 4:
If you want to lie down, you press a button (like 'r') on your keyboard. This will play an animation of your wolf lying down. If you press it again, your wolf will stand up. This is the same for both single player and multiplayer. Pressing another button (like 'z') will bring up a popup window that asks if/how long you would like to sleep and wake up in a new time of day (in single player). If you choose not to sleep, your wolf will stand up. This button will not do anything in multiplayer. Sitting would be left as an auto-animation when your wolf has not moved for a little while so would not be player-controlled.

Option 5:
If you want to sit or lie down, you press a button (like 'r') on your keyboard. This will play an animation of your wolf sitting down. If you press it again, your wolf will lie down. Again, and your wolf will stand up. This is the same for both single player and multiplayer. Pressing another button (like 'z') will bring up a popup window that asks if/how long you would like to sleep and wake up in a new time of day (in single player). If you choose not to sleep, your wolf will stand up. This button will not do anything in multiplayer.

Option 6:
The same as option 1, except the first time you press 'z' will cause your wolf to sit. The second time you press it will cause your wolf to lie down. The third will give your wolf the option to sleep or stand back up (in single player). In multiplayer, pressing 'z' the first time causes your wolf to sit. Press it again, and your wolf will lie down. Press it again, and your wolf will stand up. In both single and multiplayer, you can press the 'r' button to stand up from any position.

Option 7:
The same as option 5, except pressing any other button (like w or x) will cause your wolf to stand up and do that action, even if it was sitting or lying down.

Option 8:
Something completely (or subtly) different- please describe with your post. I will edit this post if a reasonable option is described. Do not vote for this option until this post is edited with details of the option.

I know I'm sneaking in a couple game updates for you folks with this announcement- please be considerate and keep your questions about episode 2.5 in a future topic. (I'm hoping to eventually hold another live Q&A about 2.5, like we did with Episode 2.) This topic is intended for suggesting ways to rest in the game, not for finding out more about what we have planned for 2.5. Thank you!
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

Larkarl
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Your ideas for 'resting' in the game

Post by Larkarl » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:10 pm

...this is new! Thanks for asking our opinions, too- it's cool to be able to help out with development.

I don't like the idea of having 'rest' and 'sleep' be the same button- it just seems like an extra step to have to choose either getting back up or sleeping after the second time the button is pressed. I would propose a new option to have a 'rest/lay down' key and then a separate 'sleep' key. Sitting would just be the idle animation like it is now.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:11 pm

I'll vote later. But...Cana, you forgot to change it to a hidden poll.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:38 pm

This is quite interesting! It's great to hear a bit more about the game's development.^^
I prefer option 3 because it just seems easier to have it as one button rather than multiple ones. I'll hold off on voting for a while until i've made my final choice.^^
I'll definitely post my ideas if I come up with any.

Sirius Black
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Sirius Black » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:47 pm

wait i didnt understand... :? if you press 'z' third time you will sleep, and if you press 'r' third time you stand up? (talking about option 3)

sparky_wolf

Post by sparky_wolf » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:27 pm

My thoughts are a mix of everyone elses' suggestions, but mainly Larkarls'.

I think that 2.5 should have one button for sitting and laying down(pressing twice for sitting then laying), but a seperate button for sleeping as some WQ users will want to just regain their energy instead of taking "a nap".

(As well as Larkarl I think the 'sitting' motion should be the idle movement but also be able to be controlled by the player with the selected button)
I think I will also wait to vote for a little while at least in case a new idea pops up and I favour that one more.

Anyway this thread is a great idea and I can't wait to hear more contributions!

Note: If any part of this post is too similiar to another on this thread just inform me and I will change it immediatly :)

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:44 pm

Interesting, thanks for posting this, Cana!

For the moment, I am just going to hold off voting until all of the options are described upon the first post. Though at the moment, the option which takes some of my interest at the moment is option 3, mostly because it seems to be the most simplist of the ideas and what not :]

-Ratchet
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by -Ratchet » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:58 pm

I have to say I really like option 1. Its sounds pretty neat, I have no ideas though ^^"

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:05 pm

Oh, this is rather intriguing.
Out of second nature, I ended up voting. Although it does say that it's possible to change your vote, I'm glad that's there. ^^"
The one that really catches my eye, at the moment, is option 3. It gives more 'opportunities(?)' for the resting option in the game.
Sirius Black wrote:wait i didnt understand... :? if you press 'z' third time you will sleep, and if you press 'r' third time you stand up? (talking about option 3)

I think what it is trying to say is that there is still a decision between having 'r' or 'z' as the button for resting in the game, that or it is saying that the z and the r both do the same thing. Pressing Z, or R on the keyboard activates the same stuff.
Pressing Z a third time would make the wolf stand up, as pressing R a third time would do the same as if pressing Z.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:41 pm

Currently, I prefer option three. But you know, I'm impatient when it comes to voting so I selected the best one that I thought would fit the game and controls well.

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:55 pm

Solitary- I didn't mean this to be a hidden poll. I'm fine with people seeing what other people are voting for. And yes, you should be able to change your vote as many times as you want until I lock the topic (which won't be for at least a couple weeks).

And I'll do my best to explain the options a bit more clearly... editing is such a wonderful tool. :mrgreen:

Edit: Things should be a little more clear now, and I added the other two suggestions into the first post. At least, what I understood the posters were trying to suggest. If I misunderstood something, feel free to let me know.

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

-x- Silvie -x-
Former WQ Moderator

Post by -x- Silvie -x- » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Interesting, Cana! Like Lark, I'm excited to help out (sorta-kinda) with the development. :3

Really, I may just be missing something here, but what I was planning on having was the ability of one button (such as 'z' or 'r', as stated) do the animation without any idle animation relating to resting. For example, pressing 'z' makes the wolf sit, once more makes it lay down, once more to sit again, and once more to stand. My plans did not have anything to do with actual singleplayer sleeping time or automatic standing/resting, but both modes of SP and MP would allow the wolf to rest in either sitting or laying position for as long as the player wanted, still allowing the ability to howl, wag, use scent view, etc. Just my plain and simple thoughts though I'm probably missing something. =3

-Severa-
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by -Severa- » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:53 pm

I too, agree that it's nice of you to ask our opinions, because it's cool that WolfQuest members get to vote on things they want in future episodes. So thanks for making this awesome poll, Cana!!

frost9999
Pup
Pup

Post by frost9999 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:40 am

and if you could i think it would be cool if you could swim under the water for a little while :mrgreen: well and i think its good to sleep

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:57 am

BooboosPiggy wrote:what I was planning on having was the ability of one button (such as 'z' or 'r', as stated) do the animation without any idle animation relating to resting. For example, pressing 'z' makes the wolf sit, once more makes it lay down, once more to sit again, and once more to stand. My plans did not have anything to do with actual singleplayer sleeping time or automatic standing/resting, but both modes of SP and MP would allow the wolf to rest in either sitting or laying position for as long as the player wanted, still allowing the ability to howl, wag, use scent view, etc.
Well, we're not going to change the programming for the sitting when idle animation- we're just adding the non-idle options. So regardless of what we do with the buttons, the things you can do now are going to stay the same in 2.5... we're just adding to them.

And I'll have to check on what the sleeping animation ended up being... I'm not sure if we have the option to go from laying down and back up to sitting again. If you can, I'll add that as the next option. But we do need to figure out how players will be given the option to sleep, since that's our current plan to pass the time of day in single player (otherwise you'd just be playing in one time of day and wouldn't be able to change it... it's too much programming to design the actual movement of the sun in the sky with all the shadows and whatnot, so this was our fix to allow change in day without taking up the entire budget for time and weather).

So no matter what happens, there will still be the same sitting/licking/standing idle animation, and we need a way to choose to 'sleep' so you can change the time of day you're playing in. You guys are just deciding how/when to see the option to sleep and how/when you'll choose to sit and lie down. If that makes sense.

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”