WQ 2.7 costs $10. Is it worth it?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

ItsLiminal
Pup
Pup

Re: WQ 2.7 costs $10. Is it worth it?

Post by ItsLiminal » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:22 pm

EmberGrey wrote:You know, as much as I, from a PERSONAL standpoint, really enjoy 2.7, I feel like the additional choices, better graphics, new areas, aren't exactly what I'd want to spend that money on. It felt like a side project that should lead up to new content, like a cliffhanger for the game you buy. Some things in a new game I'd like to see are aging pups, pack hunting, continuing the education of wolf life. Maybe teach a little bit about pack hierarchy, play with that hierarchy structure, maybe you have to get enough skill points within your pack to do other things.. Make it a cyclical adventure.

I know resources are limited, but in my heart I know Wolfquest has a lot more potential. I wish there was a kickstarter or something so we could fund some new projects. I'm glad it was called an update. A lot of people are calling it a new game, and if people come here with that idea in mind.. they'll probably be a little peeved after $10 for an update.

I was a tiny bit annoyed, to be honest. I get the message the game is sending, and as an adult who has played Left4Dead, I really applaud you on your creepy dead zones, butttttt... if I'm being horribly, brutally honest (and I'm sorry, I know you get so much negativity, I mean this in the most constructive of ways) if I had played it beforehand and then had the choice to buy it, I would save my cash.. I would, however, 100% fund you on a more directly educational view into the wolves livelihood as I stated above.

So long story short, I'd pay for a new game, or an extensive pack-life add on. Not an update..

(The update, however, is amazing, this does not mean it's bad. If you are willing and able to pay $10 for an update, by all means get your fill! :) )
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I certainly wouldn't go so far as to call it a new game, when things were tweaked and improved but no real specific additions were made. If anything, 2.7 just runs slower on my computer than 2.5 did. Even after exploring Lost River, I think the Survival of the Pack story is a lot more fun and interesting than the former. Lost River seems more fun in MP.

As you said, I would spend $10 or more on an update extending upon the growth of your pack. Of course I understand WQ doesn't have the funding and resources at the moment to take on such a project!

It's still really fun either way, though. I adore the use of XP in unlocking certain things you can do in-game, and the new mate AI is fantastic. :) Not to mention the new wolf customizations are so fun to play around with and personalize.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:27 pm

Ambedo wrote:
EmberGrey wrote:You know, as much as I, from a PERSONAL standpoint, really enjoy 2.7, I feel like the additional choices, better graphics, new areas, aren't exactly what I'd want to spend that money on. It felt like a side project that should lead up to new content, like a cliffhanger for the game you buy. Some things in a new game I'd like to see are aging pups, pack hunting, continuing the education of wolf life. Maybe teach a little bit about pack hierarchy, play with that hierarchy structure, maybe you have to get enough skill points within your pack to do other things.. Make it a cyclical adventure.

I know resources are limited, but in my heart I know Wolfquest has a lot more potential. I wish there was a kickstarter or something so we could fund some new projects. I'm glad it was called an update. A lot of people are calling it a new game, and if people come here with that idea in mind.. they'll probably be a little peeved after $10 for an update.

I was a tiny bit annoyed, to be honest. I get the message the game is sending, and as an adult who has played Left4Dead, I really applaud you on your creepy dead zones, butttttt... if I'm being horribly, brutally honest (and I'm sorry, I know you get so much negativity, I mean this in the most constructive of ways) if I had played it beforehand and then had the choice to buy it, I would save my cash.. I would, however, 100% fund you on a more directly educational view into the wolves livelihood as I stated above.

So long story short, I'd pay for a new game, or an extensive pack-life add on. Not an update..

(The update, however, is amazing, this does not mean it's bad. If you are willing and able to pay $10 for an update, by all means get your fill! :) )
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I certainly wouldn't go so far as to call it a new game, when things were tweaked and improved but no real specific additions were made. If anything, 2.7 just runs slower on my computer than 2.5 did. Even after exploring Lost River, I think the Survival of the Pack story is a lot more fun and interesting than the former. Lost River seems more fun in MP.

As you said, I would spend $10 or more on an update extending upon the growth of your pack. Of course I understand WQ doesn't have the funding and resources at the moment to take on such a project!

It's still really fun either way, though. I adore the use of XP in unlocking certain things you can do in-game, and the new mate AI is fantastic. :) Not to mention the new wolf customizations are so fun to play around with and personalize.
Well, yes. 2.7 is an update to 2.5. That's why they didn't call it 3.0, but 2.7.

The WQ team ran out of funding completely in 2011-2012. They were considering abandoning WQ, shutting down the forums, and shutting down multiplayer for 2.5. But instead of doing that, they decided to make an update to the game (2.7) and charge money for it, in the hopes eventually it will earn enough a third episode could be made.

So, if you (addressing everybody in general) are considering buying Wolfquest 2.7, consider it as an investment. You're not only paying for the new features in 2.7, but your money is also going towards the development of an episode 3.

On that note, episode 3 will only be made if sales are really strong. So if you see anybody pirating the game on a website, you should send the link to that website to info@wolfquest.org so they can take steps to have it removed.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Kiba009
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Kiba009 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:26 am

It is... This is the first game about wolves I found (2 years ago). Since that time I've played this game so many times over and over. When I found this new update I was so happy. This new version is really beautiful. I love how mate is more inteligent (every animal in the new update is more inteligent) and new maps and everything. This new update is really worth it. :mrgreen: Only minus is fur. Yes it is beautiful but when you play on ,,Fast'' or ,,Good'' graphic your fur looks... well not fluffy. But the other wolves are soooo fluffy and cute. Well but when you play on ,,Beautiful'' or ,,Fantastic'' your and other's fur is unreal and not that beautiful (and not that fluffy). I hope there will be new update soon :333 -Have a nice day from Czech Republic :D

Lunarwolf22
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Lunarwolf22 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:48 am

Well, I havent played it yet, because I'm in the bad situation that I'm out of America and I cant pay and I want to play it sooooo much. I only saw the video and I almost died from excitement, but when I saw the payment I got very dissapointed and I'm sure my dad wont let me pay for the game :'( I want it so much. Btw, if someday I have the ability to pay, how would I pay? In my country I pay with euros and not with dollars...

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:23 pm

ank22 wrote:Well, I havent played it yet, because I'm in the bad situation that I'm out of America and I cant pay and I want to play it sooooo much. I only saw the video and I almost died from excitement, but when I saw the payment I got very dissapointed and I'm sure my dad wont let me pay for the game :'( I want it so much. Btw, if someday I have the ability to pay, how would I pay? In my country I pay with euros and not with dollars...
Ich.io accepts Paypal or credit card (maybe debit card too?) as payment. They automatically convert Euros to Dollars for you.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

LunarWolf94
Pup
Pup

Post by LunarWolf94 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:04 pm

Lobo Laughing wrote:
LunarWolf94 wrote:What people here are/will refer to as "New stuff" are new mechanics to the game. Pups aging, hierarchy features, hunters etc. New mechanics that would make you feel like you are actually playing a life of a wild wolf and not just a set of missions.
Just wanted to note here that the game will never, ever have hierarchy features or hunters. Those are completely unrealistic and promote negative contact with wolves, so don't hold your money out for that (although pups aging will certainly happen if a third episode is made).

I can understand why hunters could potentially be an issue, but I do not see at all why having some basic pack hierarchy settings would be bad, let alone unrealistic, especially later if the game allows us to actually raise our pups to maturity. Hierarchy exists in every wolf pack and is a vital part of a wolf's life, so not having it in the game is like taking out part of the realism that this game should be all about. It doesn't necessarily need to contain violence of any sort (although killing elk for food is more violent than that would be), but it could still be there, especially because it can teach of the way wolves interact with each other within their pack which is, at least partially based on pack hierarchy. There is nothing unrealistic or negative about it. :)

Just my two cents. :)
In the cold breeze that I walk along
The memories haunt me
Been forever since I cried the pain and sorrow
I live and die,proud of my people gaining

I'm standing at the edge
starin up at where the moon should be
Until my soul starts howling
Stray!

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:46 pm

Wrong. Typical wolf packs are consisted of parents and their offspring. If a parent dies, only then will either an offspring take over or a dispersal wolf will take over should it come across the pack. Sometimes lone wolves even attack the dominant wolf of the same gender to take over. To add on, ask a wolf expert as I don't know everything about wolves but I do certainly know this thing.
Taking your time when you can is key to a healthy lifestyle. You may have a set lifespan, but you don't have to rush yourself every second of it.

LunarWolf94
Pup
Pup

Post by LunarWolf94 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:34 am

Snow130 wrote:Wrong. Typical wolf packs are consisted of parents and their offspring. If a parent dies, only then will either an offspring take over or a dispersal wolf will take over should it come across the pack. Sometimes lone wolves even attack the dominant wolf of the same gender to take over. To add on, ask a wolf expert as I don't know everything about wolves but I do certainly know this thing.
Actually i was was referring to wolf packs with parents and pups. I never mentioned any dispersal wolves being in the pack.Every wolf pack has a hierarchy. Even in the ones where there are only parents and pups, there are "rules" of behavior.
In the cold breeze that I walk along
The memories haunt me
Been forever since I cried the pain and sorrow
I live and die,proud of my people gaining

I'm standing at the edge
starin up at where the moon should be
Until my soul starts howling
Stray!

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:58 am

LunarWolf94 wrote:Actually i was was referring to wolf packs with parents and pups. I never mentioned any dispersal wolves being in the pack.Every wolf pack has a hierarchy. Even in the ones where there are only parents and pups, there are "rules" of behavior.
If that's the case than maybe I miss understood you earlier. I interpreted your use of the word hierarchy as including "alphas" and/or a social structure that would determine who does what or eats when.

Snow130 is correct that wolf packs are family structures. The only power the breeding pair holds is purely parent-offspring respect, and that is very limited. The only time the breeding pair ever really uses its dominance is when food is scarce and there are pups to be fed; in that case the parent wolves may limit the food available to the subordinates and save it for the pups instead. Under most situations, however, the pack is a corporative group and its daily activities are not necessarily determined by the breeding pair. Below the breeding pair, there is practically no structure at all. Older offspring may assume more responsibly, (aka hunting more) but they are not necessarily more dominant than yearlings.
Labeling a high-ranking wolf alpha emphasizes its rank in a dominance hierarchy. However, in natural wolf packs, the alpha male or female are merely the breeding animals, the parents of the pack, and dominance contests with other wolves are rare, if they exist at all.
The above observations show that, at least in summer, social interactions among wolf-pack members are not very different in intensity or quality from those among members of any other group of related individuals. Even the much-touted wolf dominance hierarchy is primarily a natural reflection of the age, sex, and reproductive structure of the group, with the breeding male dominating all others posturally and the breeding female garnering food from the male while she is tending young pups.
http://www.mnforsustain.org/wolf_mech_d ... status.htm

Therefor I think it is reasonable to assume that WolfQuest, in its attempts to be as realistic as possible, will not have features promoting the idea that the parents control every aspect of pack life, or that subordinates have a hierarchy among themselves. Under normal circumstances there are no "rules" as to who eats first or who submits to who.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:47 am

This is an interested discussion, but please take it to another thread so this thread can keep it's focus on "is 2.7 worth $10"?
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

renny uwu
Pup
Pup
Name: Renn, Renee, Copper

Post by renny uwu » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:01 am

WQ 2.7 is definitely worth the $10. With the all new better graphics and features, I really like in single player that when you venture more than 50 meters the pups are safe in the den (Little spoiler). Really fun. The all new howls are also exciting as of ever since I've been playing 2.5 I have been wanting all new howls to come out, and it did. I really do recommend to anyone they should get this game if they wish! ^^

N̷o̷ ̷o̷n̷e̷ is going to be with you
s̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̿̿̿̿̿̿ʏ̲̲̿ you will have to be a̧̪͍̫̼͇̕͡l̻̮̠͕̦̙o̸̴͉̼̗͞n̵̴̡̫̯̥͕̟̻̟e̯̰̘̝̟̜

avatar/sig © renny uwu/twinlinskis

SookSook
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Wolva

Post by SookSook » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:54 pm

Honestly, I think its worth so much more! WolfQuest is SO generous! I am defiantly getting this for Christmas or my Birthday or something..
:D :)
A lot of people care about animals in the world, but others do not care about them and think of them as lifeless beings. I do not mind them, as without light then there would be no dark.
[spoiler]But that doesn't mean if you hurt an animal I will standby and do nothing, if you think that then you are wrong[/spoiler]

SpookyOkami
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by SpookyOkami » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:16 am

Well.... It's probably worth it. But I think that people who have had the previous version should get a free upgrade? I don't have any money, and it doesn't look like I'll be getting any soon, so it was really disappointing to find out I had to pay >.<
"Why fear death? Just because you know the song will end, is that any reason not to listen?"

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:18 am

SpookyOkami wrote:Well.... It's probably worth it. But I think that people who have had the previous version should get a free upgrade? I don't have any money, and it doesn't look like I'll be getting any soon, so it was really disappointing to find out I had to pay >.<
In all fairness, the previous version was and still is completely free. That said, there should be some contests and the like coming up soon, through which lucky community members might be able to win a free copy of the game. Keep an eye out. :)

wolfbeat
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfbeat » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:21 pm

Okay! I really love the update! I might be able to download the demo, but I probably won't be buying the full game for a while.

I watched the demo video, and I REALLLYYY LOVE the radio collar.

Seriously. I am obsessing over it.

I also super love the new coat colours! ... though the video didn't show the scrolling bar that makes the coat darker or lighter (2.5 has this), which makes me think 2.7 doesn't have it? I really liked it.

I didn't see any other animals other than the ones I saw in 2.5. It might've been cool to add something else, like a porcupine maybe? More danger to the curious wandering pups?

Them human artifacts are cool though. Kinda random, those boots.

I really like the new areas! The cliff with the overview place looked COOL!

I thought maybe there would be a life cycle thing, where your pups grow up over a certain time? I was kinda disappointed about that.

I also hoped that you could, when you have a den or something, add visiting wolves to your pack! Or have your grown-up pups to your pack so that you could have more pups! There have been packs of 80 wolves documented (it's totally like I'm suggesting this!).

Anyways, I really have to try the game before I say anymore. 2.7 is an awesome game, and 2.5 is too! But, I need a new computer first, and I think a game card? I dunno what they are. Besides, I wanna play the demo first!

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”