WQ 2.7 costs $10. Is it worth it?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: WQ 2.7 costs $10. Is it worth it?

Post by Koa » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:50 pm

dangerisback wrote:for me and for many people is not worth it. why? well, there is people who can't pay for their children studies and they have to pay for a game? really? this is stupid for me. like you are playing with kid's illusion. many people were waiting for this game for a long time a now they have to pay. the old version it's free, why not this version? there are much more priorities with money that paying for a game, and kids don't understand about this and it's so hard to their parents to have to say NO to those kids who were waiting for so long for this version.
The project was essentially announced to be over in 2012 (http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=70242), with no new plans for any new game whatsoever. I understand your concerns regarding payment and in no way am criticizing your opinion. I do want to point out, however, that your claim regarding how many people were expecting this game for a long time and weren't expecting to pay is somewhat skewed, given the aforementioned "end" of the project and the new project's year-old announcement (http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=73470), which made references to payment in the topic. (The first post has been edited now, but there were payment options implied in the poll.)

Regarding why this version is not free:
Why are we charging for the new version?
WolfQuest was originally funded by grants from the National Science Foundation, Best Buy Foundation, and other sponsors. Funding ran out in 2011, and so no further development of the game was planned.

However, interest in the game has remained strong in the years since then, so we decided to revisit WolfQuest and give it a much-needed overhaul and expansion. The only way we could undertake this was by selling the game in hopes of paying back our development costs. We were always proud that WolfQuest was a free game, but the only way for WolfQuest to continue and thrive now is if players are willing to pay $10 to support it. We hope you will consider doing so!
http://wolfquest.org/game_info.php#why

Pokemonz
Pup
Pup

Post by Pokemonz » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:49 pm

I just bought it and quite frankly, it's worth every penny considering this game was never set to have a release. Having them gain the money back that they used on making it is plenty good to me.

Historical
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Historical » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:59 pm

I would definitely say that the game is worth $10. A few of my favorite things about the update are the fluffy pups! They are absolutely adorable! Hunting is definitely easier now that you can choose whether your bite will drain your entire stamina or if its just a nibble. The new map is absolutely stunning. Finally, the multiplayer updates. I can't even explain how overly satisfied I am with the way multiplayer works. The game is definitely worth the money.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:49 pm

Historical wrote:I would definitely say that the game is worth $10. A few of my favorite things about the update are the fluffy pups! They are absolutely adorable! Hunting is definitely easier now that you can choose whether your bite will drain your entire stamina or if its just a nibble. The new map is absolutely stunning. Finally, the multiplayer updates. I can't even explain how overly satisfied I am with the way multiplayer works. The game is definitely worth the money.

I think even the multiplayer update is worth $10 in itself. Games are definitely much smoother, less glitchy and easier to connect to. The unrestricted private chats are absolutely wonderful and make it easier to just chat or do RP'S, and it's also nice not to see 5 "graphic meat-RP's" in a row when looking to join a game. Having the ability to make friends and packs and send messages in-game is great too and way easier. And the co-op mission is great, it's really fun and an interesting challenge and I think it's a good way to meet new players. Multiplayer isn't even comparable anymore, I think it's fantastic.
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Usagi Kamakazi
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Usagi Kamakazi » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:17 pm

I don't think it's worth it. This should be a free, fun experience for tons of viewers to be able to get the equal chance as the people who are able to afford to pay. There may be tons of others besides me that cant afford to play the game, or there worried it might not work or crash and they just wasted 10 bucks, those two things prevents people from getting a game when paying online and there may be many more reasons. So i personally think this should remain a free for all, wonderful 3D game to give everyone an equal experience on the life of a wolf.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:25 pm

Usagi Kamakazi wrote:I don't think it's worth it. This should be a free, fun experience for tons of viewers to be able to get the equal chance as the people who are able to afford to pay. There may be tons of others besides me that cant afford to play the game, or there worried it might not work or crash and they just wasted 10 bucks, those two things prevents people from getting a game when paying online and there may be many more reasons. So i personally think this should remain a free for all, wonderful 3D game to give everyone an equal experience on the life of a wolf.
Unfortunately, making this version free was not really a possibility, considering WQ previously ran on funding, and that funding ran out several years ago. The other option was to leave it be and not develop any future versions at all. 2.5 will continue to be available for free, though.
Why are we charging for the new version?
WolfQuest was originally funded by grants from the National Science Foundation, Best Buy Foundation, and other sponsors. Funding ran out in 2011, and so no further development of the game was planned.

However, interest in the game has remained strong in the years since then, so we decided to revisit WolfQuest and give it a much-needed overhaul and expansion. The only way we could undertake this was by selling the game in hopes of paying back our development costs. We were always proud that WolfQuest was a free game, but the only way for WolfQuest to continue and thrive now is if players are willing to pay $10 to support it. We hope you will consider doing so!
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

wolfloversk
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfloversk » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:33 pm

Here's the breakdown of how much I think the content should cost:

New single player content (Including a new map, new skins, new customization options, autosave feature, achievements etc.): 3-5$
Lifetime Multiplayer access licence + new multiplayer pup mode: 3-5$
Updates to existing single player content (bug fixes, quest updates, new graphics and new ambient sound): 1-3$

Total worth in my opinion: 7-13$

So yes, I think it's worth the ten dollars, especially considering that we are talking lifetime multiplayer access (as long as this version is available) and not a monthly payment setup. Also, compared to 2.5 especially, I've encountered very few bugs so far, so it's a decent quality. The biggest downside in my opinion is that the game itself has the potential to be fairly fast, but it's still open access in AM and LR as far as I know so you can keep playing even if you finished the objectives- and one of the AM objectives was changes so it takes more time to complete. In other words you can play a single game for as long as you want... it could be a few hours it could be months :P
UotM of September 2011!

"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
John Muir, "John of the Mountains" (1938)

psy
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Jay

Post by psy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:33 pm

It. Is. Worth it. 'Nuff said.
First off, new customizations. You get more stuff, but you still get the realistic feel WolfQuest has. I find it better for my O.C. wolf, Max, to have a "Life is Rough" pelt and see a scar than use a plain tan pelt and pretend he has a scar. Also, you have new howls. I still chose the original howl though XD
Next, the gameplay. I like the new keys: growl, whine. It adds more to the wolf. Wolves don't have human emotions, but they aren't rocks. :P I also like the hunting. It feels smoother.
Finally, the Lost River map. That's just amazing. Get this: I actually spawned a meme at school based off of one of the Lost River "Easter eggs" (if you'd call them that).
Map Egg
Show
In Allison Acres, there's a flooded house that's been spray-painted. It had the name "Susan" on it, and that gave me an idea. Maybe Susan was late for dinner and instead flooded the air and disappeared with the beavers in the beaver dam nearby? Of course, that's probably not the actual story, but that's what I used for school conversation.

SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA CLOSE THE DOOR
TO OPEN A WINDOW

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:10 am

Yes with a capital Y! New graphics and customization, a completely new map, new controls and other features, this is worth the buy! You also get the satisfaction with helping the team and real life wolves.
~ σиℓу тωσ кιи∂ѕ σf ρєσρℓє єχιѕт ιи тнιѕ ωσяℓ∂, тнσѕє ωнσ ѕтєαℓ, αи∂ тнσѕє ωнσ αяє ѕтσℓєи fяσм. ~

catcrazy
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by catcrazy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:29 pm

it won't let me play game. i wish i could say it was worth it, because i was really looking forward to the game since you announced it was being made, but i can't.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:42 pm

catcrazy wrote:it won't let me play game. i wish i could say it was worth it, because i was really looking forward to the game since you announced it was being made, but i can't.
If you're having trouble running the game, can you submit a bug report? Send a description of the problem and attach the game log, which you can find here:

-on Windows, in "WolfQuest_Data” folder
-on Mac: search for the Console app, and launch it. Then in the left sidebar, look for FILES/~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log. Open that log, and copy the entire log into a text file or the email itself.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Remora
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Remora » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:16 pm

I've been playing WQ for a long time now, I'm not overly active on the forum though. I think the $10 is entirely worth it. I love the new content, the autosave feature, and and looking forward to the next episode! This is entirely worth it, and I think it is reasonably priced as well. Plus, if you don't have the $10 I think they're being super considerate about leaving 2.5 for free. I don't really see any downsides.

LunarWolf94
Pup
Pup

Post by LunarWolf94 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:05 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:As a new player: Yes, it is worth it. WQ 2.7 is vastly superior to 2.5 in nearly every single way: hundreds of bugfixes, improved AI, a brand new map (Lost River), improved graphics, increased private game reliability, an in-game friend/pack/messaging system, difficulty levels, the ability to raise pups together in multiplayer, and more.

The only negative thing I would say about 2.7 is, well, the fact that public games only have the phrase chat. While this has caused players to come up with different ways of communicating to players (growling is pretty universal for a predator alert, howling as 'come here', etc), I think players would enjoy having a 'free chat' in public games as well (but then you'll have to figure out ways of monitoring the chats pretty effectively and consistently).

But personally I enjoy not seeing all of these unrelated RPs floating around in my public game 'feed'...

For players that aren't new to WQ: Yes, it is still worth it. Kind of. If you're the type of person who isn't into Multiplayer or roleplaying, then 2.7 is for you! But, if you enjoy RPing with your friends all the time, then you might not like the new multiplayer chat system they have.

EDIT:
KisabellaBlue8 wrote:
Okay they did a good job on the quality but they didn't actually add anything new so I believe the 10 dollars was a good price.If it was more than 10 dollars I wouldn't buy it and many other people can barely the 10 dollars so Wolf quest would lose plenty of people
They added an entire new map to run around in and explore, they added the ability to raise pups together in multiplayer, difficulty levels, overhauled the AI, etc...
If that doesn't classify as 'new stuff', then I don't know what does...

What people here are/will refer to as "New stuff" are new mechanics to the game. Pups aging, hierarchy features, hunters etc. New mechanics that would make you feel like you are actually playing a life of a wild wolf and not just a set of missions. And to be brutally honest, I was disappointing when I learned that the game would not be adding anything of that this time. I just hope that now that they are charging for the game they will be able to develop it more and and add new mechanics in the future.

As a side note, WolfQuest 2.7 is a great update to the game with its new graphics and bug fixes and all, but it's not that superior that it could make 2.5 not enjoyable. Of course maybe not as much, but still It's a great game to play if you do not wish to pay for this update because that's what it really is, an update. I have been playing WQ for years and I have always had fun with it, however, since it is now buy to play, I think people should really check out not just the demo, but the list of features as well. I personally bought it and played it, but I have been a huge WQ fan for years, so I didn't mind it. People who have played the previous versions and loved it should also check it out, because it is not really expensive. However, people who are new to it, and with high expectations, especially if they played Wolf for DOS in the past, might feel reluctant to spend money on it as it is basically not a finished game.

They did a great deal with the graphics and with the new coats or the added multiplayer stuff, but now, I hope they will focus on expanding the game and making it a true simulation where you could really experience everything that the life of a wolf can offer. :)
In the cold breeze that I walk along
The memories haunt me
Been forever since I cried the pain and sorrow
I live and die,proud of my people gaining

I'm standing at the edge
starin up at where the moon should be
Until my soul starts howling
Stray!

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:19 am

LunarWolf94 wrote:What people here are/will refer to as "New stuff" are new mechanics to the game. Pups aging, hierarchy features, hunters etc. New mechanics that would make you feel like you are actually playing a life of a wild wolf and not just a set of missions.
Just wanted to note here that the game will never, ever have hierarchy features or hunters. Those are completely unrealistic and promote negative contact with wolves, so don't hold your money out for that (although pups aging will certainly happen if a third episode is made).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

feralheart22334
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by feralheart22334 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:41 am

Honestly this is so much better than 2.5! I mean 2.5 was good but then again 2.7 has so much more features than 2.5! I'm not sure if there are really pups in multiplayer because of the age thing . But actually I was rushing so I couldn't confirm my age like a normal person. But I just need to say that - THANK U WOLFQUEST THANK SO MUCH! I'm playing the demo waiting for meh mom to come home and buy it . My mom LOVES wolf quest btw :P So I don't have to wait years for it . But if you need a idea's if your making a 8.5 I suggest adding NPC wolves and pups that grow in multiplayer . and also make it so players can have pups together and you can save servers and have more than 5 people. And maybe add more dialogue? and add humans to towns maybe . And things like you could be adopted and stuff and you'll have to escape the house and whatever . or you can raise your family there and maybe give us the option to DRAG prey because I was trying to get and elk and it ran in the water so yeah ONE MORE THING can you make it so your family can have dialogue but not like walking near them and then you have to socialize . And maybe make more than 2 episodes?
Sorry If you can't do all these things btw but anyways thanks if you read it! and I think 2.7 is worth more! its so good!

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”