Older Versions of WolfQuest - General Discussion

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Rikkuzilla
Name: Rikku

Older Versions of WolfQuest - General Discussion

Post by Rikkuzilla » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:54 pm

To keep things a little more organized and generalized, we've decided to create a "Older Versions of the WolfQuest" discussion thread. Here, members can talk about the days when only Amethyst Mountain was in existence, up to before Survival of the Pack's release.

Please remember the following:

• WolfQuest does not offer support for older versions of the game.
• There are no older versions of WolfQuest to download from the site and members are not allowed to post alternative ways to obtain older versions of the game.
• This thread pertains to the different releases of the game, not the forums.

Enjoy comparing versions, sharing your favorite version and why, discussing pros & cons you experienced with different versions, share whether you still like playing the older versions (if you have them), or you can do a little reminiscing!

Some older, similar threads that inspired this general discussion topic can be found here:
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31521
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65883
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66409
Last edited by Neamara on Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:04 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Adding another topic link.
:pawprint: WolfQuest: Undine Falls Pack Discord :pawprint:
**You must know a current member that uses the server to join.**

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Older Versions of WolfQuest - General Discussion

Post by paperpaws » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:27 pm

I remember when just joining the forums there were a lot of people going on about some red arrow being removed? :P

Nevertheless, I think I got in fairly early, just when Amethyst Mountain Deluxe was released. The amount of time I spent playing WolfQuest at the time was pretty high, haha

Rikkuzilla

Post by Rikkuzilla » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:33 pm

I got to play the first, official release (not the beta). LoL --- I kind of liked good ol' Amethyst Mountain. I guess because it always brings back good ol' memories and well, I could actually play it! No connection issues, easier to communicate with your pack --- and best of all, less trolls and mate-related roleplayers.

Siberian Husky
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Siberian Husky » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:21 pm

Oh, man. This thread brings back a lot of memories.

I could hardly play the demo on my mother's old laptop back in 2007, when it was released. I also recall having a glitch with the first release that prevented me from playing multi-player. Luckily this never happened with the later versions c:
Siberian Husky - シベリアンハスキー

Praise the Sun!

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:25 pm

The only memories I seem to have of the time before Slough Creek was back before the first version of WQ was released, playing the demo. The red arrow was definitely one of the things that I remember, as well as being able to set your wolf's stats all as high as they can go. :L Surprisingly, though, I don't have many, if any, memories of my first few times playing around on Amethyst mountain, other than getting frustrated when I couldn't find myself a mate without having to go to the other territories as well.

I was too young to get on multiplayer, not to say that I was immature or anything, but I didn't really know that you didn't have to actually know the people to play multiplayer, or that it was through the Internet at all. I don't know what I was thinking, but it explains why it took me so long to discover and sign up on the forums. :L
freelance artist/illustrator // biology student and wildlife enthusiast // sometimes i draw things for WQ

[instagram] [facebook] [twitter] [prints]
[click here to tell me what to draw]

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:33 pm

This thread is going to bring back so many memories.

I remember getting frustrated with AM over little things like there being too many hares, and then coming on the forums to complain XD Mostly though I remember spending most of my time hunting hoping that a wolf would randomly appear out of nowhere and be my mate, as I was a bit scared of going into the territories and didn't know I had to anyway. Also howling randomly for no reason(not like howling had much of a point then anyway). So much time wasted before I finally figured out I had to go through all the other wolf territories to get a mate, then being confused because the game ended soon as you got your mate.. who disappeared once you finished the socialization.

I didn't play MP much - most of the time I was too shy to enter a server of people I didn't know, although after they required you to have an account to play MP I remember it not working at all for me.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Croix
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Croix » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:26 am

I, sadly, never played the demo.

Although, I did have Amethyst Mountain Delux. Finding a mate was very difficult for me, as I didn't know you had to go to all three wolf teritorries to make dispersal wolves spawn. Derp. Literally spent hours running around trying to figure out what I wask doing.
The first time I went on multiplayer I used the name Koda (this was the time you could actually choose your wolf's name), some random person thought I was their friend and started following me around. Unfortunately I didn't even know how to chat and they ended up thinking I was mad at them. .____.

Koroda
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Koroda » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:04 pm

I haven't played any AM only versions, but they seem like a happy time. I wish I knew what it was like, ah the good ol' WolfQuest I never knew... :lol:
I am Koroda,
A coelacanth fish.
While you humans die,
I'll still be here....

Tita
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Tita » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:13 pm

I haven't experienced the demo version either.
I enjoyed AM Deluxe the most(version 2.5). WolfQuest is the first simulation I've ever played, or actually, the first video game I've ever played. It seemed promising so I decided to download it. I was pretty excited and found that the game was indeed much fun. I had little difficulty with single-player and quickly moved on to MP. After I'd tried MP, I rarely engaged in SP. I liked role-playing my wolf with others much more than actual game play. =P
After awhile though I got exhausted of AM and it ceased to entertain me. I couldn't wait to download the next episode and try it out. I was thrilled when I heard about SC's release and downloaded it the next morning. However, SC left me feeling disappointed and didn't necessarily meet my expectations for the game, although I quite liked version 2.5 with its weather effects and such, which left me with a higher opinion of it than I'd had with the original release.
Overall, I prefer AM Deluxe to SC Deluxe.
Go away, evil Mr. Scissors!

Rikkuzilla

Post by Rikkuzilla » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:25 pm

Hmmm, then I must have played the demo...because I do remember playing when there was a red arrow in it. So I guess that wasn't the official release....LoL.

There used to be a teleport glitch/trick in the game. If you were on the map....and hit a certain key (maybe it was TAB?) it would move you to a different place on the map! Not sure exactly what key it was, or if it was intentionally added for the programmers to move around during testing, but it was there and it was awesome! :P

Katherine Vampire
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Katherine Vampire » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:39 am

Unfortunately, I haven't played the demo version of WQ ; _ ; I guess I wasn't too interested in the game that time.. What is this red arrow? LUL.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:54 am

I'm afraid I never got the chance to play the demo version.
When I first found WolfQuest, AM Deluxe was already released. I had downloaded and quite enjoyed playing it. At that time I never even thought about playing multiplayer. For some reason I always thought multiplayer was so that you could share the keyboard with someone and play together. xD
I found the mission a challenge though, so was thrilled to hear another episode was going to be released. (Slough Creek) Once I got that downloaded, I got hooked to the game and even tried out Multiplayer. Then I left SP completely.
I wasn't disappointed with the release of 2.5. I actually quite enjoyed the add-ons.
Today I don't pay much attention to them. ^^
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:07 pm

When I first started playing the game I went nuts for Amethyst Mountain. I played on multiplayer for at least one hour a day. Since back then there was not a big chat restriction role-play was good and I always got to know new people; it was fun. The only bad thing back then was that everyone had like 20 characters (you could introduce any name, not your username) and it was difficult to know if you were talking with the same “Blue” you talked to a while before.

Then I got more involved with the community rather than multiplayer (since I didn’t knew there was a community) and stopped playing that much. Now I barely play on multiplayer since I have not much free time.

I haven’t spend much time playing SC since it got out when I was spending more time at the forum. Now I think I will start playing on Multiplayer again, for the fun of it (and complete the Single player missions I haven’t completed the last time I played WQ).

sparky_wolf

Post by sparky_wolf » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:50 am

Oh dear, the red arrow, I do remember that. I've played WolfQuest since the demo, although I didn't surface on the forums until quite a few years later. I was quite excited about AM, it was the first enjoyable animal simulation I had experienced, and what delighted me even further was that it portrayed realistic wolf behaviour.

Singleplayer literally amused me for weeks on end. The initial file I created was riddled with new player mistakes, but I ended up playing it repetitively, and could just about complete Amethyst Mountain with my eyes closed. And then I realised there was more developments and further episodes being created, so I stayed with the craze over the years. Ah, memories.
raise 'em on rhythm and blues

March 2011 UotM.

Icon -
WickedTrickster

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:11 am

I joined just after the first official version was released. Before the Deluxe, but after the demo. WQ was the first computer game I had ever played, so it took me a while to get used to it and to figure out that I could save my game instead of starting from scratch every time. It took me almost a month to get a mate (yes, I know that's a ridiculous amount of time) and that was the version were your mate vanished and the game finished after you exited the social arena. After that, I found the forums and started playing multi-player. When the Deluxe came out, I pretty much stopped going on multi-player and instead spent my time on single-player and the forums. While waiting for Slough Creek, I got so good at finding a mate that with a fast wolf I could complete the AM mission in about 20 minutes. I ended up with about a hundred files because of that. xD Even with Slough Creek out now, I still find myself spending more time in AM.

By the way, does anybody remember the reign of the pupkillers? I can still laugh at that. Particularly since (as Sintact mentioned) you could pick your own name. I knew a lot of people that were pupkillers with one character and good wolves with another. I was one of these for a while, until I found out that being a pupkiller was against the rules and decided that both sides was just as silly. After that, whenever I mentioned that I was neutral in the "war", I'd end up getting killed (with one bite, I might add).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”